Your Top 10 HIP Recordings

Started by Bogey, September 27, 2008, 06:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Sforzando on October 01, 2008, 04:23:44 AM
An absolutely fantastic experience. Did you get to all three? As a production, I thought this was the highlight of the series.
A superb DVD. I even managed to buy it twice!

MichaelRabin

Heard great things and read reviews on Biondi's Vivaldi 4 Seasons, etc. How do you rate this Virgin CD? Is the Opus 111/Naive version better?

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: O Mensch on October 01, 2008, 07:08:05 AM
Yes, I saw all three and I agree. The Ulisse was the best. I did not like the Pierre Audi production of Poppea with Les Talens lyriques.

Off topic, but to anyone in the NYC vicinity, Hofstra University in Hempstead, LI, is doing Poppea in early 2009.
http://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/Community/culctr/culctr_CalFall08.pdf, see p.35
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

bobby quine

At least one immediately comes to mind...! Le Concert Des Nations and Jordi Savall in a recording of Beethoven's Eroica. Stunning is all I can say.

Bunny

The first 10 that come to mind (in no order of preference) that haven't been mentioned:

I Barocchisti - Diego Fasolis - Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
Ton Koopman - The 16 - Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra - Handel's Messiah
L'Archibudelli: Dvorak: Old and New World Quartets
AAM Berlin: Overtüren: Overtures for the Hamburg Opera
René Jacobs - Concerto Köln, et al. - Le Nozze di Figaro
Andreas Staier, et al. - Hamburg
L'Archibudelli - Schubert: Trout Quintet
Patrick Cohen - Satie: Piano Works
Hogwood, AAM - Haydn: Creation

I have so many HIP recordings that there really are more than 10 in my "top" list. ;)

Bunny

Quote from: Que on September 29, 2008, 09:08:22 AM

I would have liked a complete Mozart concertos cycle and a complete Schubert pianoworks with him! Unfortunately Warner (Teldec) ditched him when the CD market slowed down - a very, very stupid decision.  :P

Q

Actually Warner shut down their classical recording division in 2006.  Most of their recent releases have been budget sets of previously recorded music (such as Scott Ross's Couperin).  Most of the artists under contract are recording elsewhere with a few exceptions such as Barenboim and the SKB.  Here's an article from Stereophile so that you can read all about it. 

hautbois

Howard

PerfectWagnerite

These two boxes most likely has all the HIP recordings I could ever want:

Bunny

adamdavid80

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 09, 2008, 10:43:24 AM
These two boxes most likely has all the HIP recordings I could ever want:

You say that now, but these thngs are like drugs.  Just one taste, and you want more.  More.  MORE. MORE!!!!!
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

milk

Leaving aside Bach for the moment here are some favorites (sorry I couldn't narrow it):

Keyboard Music By William Byrd/Davitt Moroney
Händel: Suites de Piéces Pour Le Clavecin Nos. 1-5/Ottavio Dantone
Couperin: Pièces de Clavecin/Pierre Hantai
Couperin : L'art de Toucher Le Clavecin/Blandine Rannou
Skip Sempé ~ Louis Couperin ◊ Pièces de Clavecin
Graupner: Partien 1718 & Galanteries: Partitas for Harpsichord, Vol.2/Geneviève Soly
Rameau: Works for Harpsichord/Kenneth Gilbert
Virgin Veritas - Rameau: Pièces de Clavecin en Concerts; Forqueray: Pièces de Clavecin/Sonnerie
Rameau: Pieces de clavecin en concerts/Sigiswald Kuijken, Barthold Kuijken, Wieland Kuijken & Robert Kohnen
Forqueray: Pièces de Clavecin/Blandine Rannou
Froberger: Keyboard Suites/Christophe Rousset
Scarlatti & Soler: Sonatas per cimbalo & Fandango/Bertrand Cuiller
Domenico Scarlatti: Keyboard Sonatas Para Fortepiano/Jacques Ogg
Bach, W.F.: Keyboard Works, Vol. 1/Robert Hill
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach/Bob van Asperen & Melante Amsterdam
C.P.E. Bach: Complete Keyboard Concertos, Vol.  6/Concerto Armonico & Miklós Spányi
Bach, C.P.E.: Sonatas for Keyboard and Violin/Laurence Cummings & Adrian Butterfield
Norris: The World's First Piano Concertos/David Owen Norris & Ensemble Sonnerie
Three Square - Nocturnes by John Field Played on Three Square Pianos of the Period/Joanna Leach
Clementi: Sonatas/Peter Katin
Haydn, J.: Piano Concertos In D Major - F Major - D Major - G Major/Ronald Brautigam, Lars Ulrik Mortensen & Concerto Copenhagen
Mozart: Keyboard Music/Kristian Bezuidenhout
Mozart:  Sonatas K 331 Alla Turca & K 570, Fantasia K 397, Adagio K 540/Tom Beghin
Mozart: Sonatas for Keyboard and Violin/Gary Cooper & Rachel Podger
Mozart: Piano Quartets K.478 & K.493/Elizabeth Wilcock, Jan Schlapp, Malcolm Bilson & Timothy Mason
Mozart: Piano Trios/The Mozartean Players
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op. 109, 110 & 111/Alexei Lubimov
Beethoven: Piano Trios, Op. 97 "Archduke" and Op. 70, "Ghost"/Anner Bylsma, Jos van Immerseel & Vera Beths
Beethoven: Sonatas For Forte Piano and Cello/Anner Bylsma & Malcolm Bilson
Beethoven: Concerti Nos. 4 & 5 pour le pianoforte avec accompagnement d'orchestre/Arthur Schoonderwoerd & Cristofori
Schubert: Impromptus Op.90 Et 142/Alexei Lubimov
Franz Schubert: Die schöne Müllerin/Max Van Egmond
Schubert: "The Trout" Quintet, Op. 114/The Atlantis Ensemble
Schubert: Piano Trio In E Flat, Op. Posth 100/Atlantis Ensemble
Schumann: A Tribute to Bach/Andreas Staier
Schumann: Complete Works for Violin and Piano/Tobias Koch & Lisa Marie Landgraf
Mendelssohn: Piano Broadwood 1840/Cyril Huvé
Felix and Fanny Mendelssohn: Piano Music/Tobias Koch
Felix & Fanny Mendelssohn: Piano Trios/Enid Sutherland, Jaap Schröder & Penelope Crawford
The Young Felix Mendelssohn/The Atlantis Ensemble
Brahms: Sonata for Pianoforte and Cello/Paul Komen & Pieter Wispelwey
Chopin/Ophélie Gaillard & Edna Stern
Satie/Patrick Cohen
Debussy: Children's Corner, Suite Bergamasque, Images/Alain Planès
Debussy: Préludes et Images/Jos van Immerseel
Debussy: The Composer As Pianist (1904, 1913)/Claude Debussy

Wanderer

I would also very highly recommend this new release:

The works are splendid and the performances superlative.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on September 28, 2008, 01:43:15 AM

2. LvB - piano trios nos. 3 & 5 by Staier/Sepec/Queras (HM)
3. LvB - three last piano sonatas by Paul Komen (Globe)
6. Schubert - piano trios by ensemble La Gaia Scienza (Winter & Winter)

Yes to all of these -- I would add the Komen's Waldstien, where I think the fortepiano brings something really revelatory and new. The Schubert Op 100  is such a dark reading -- again it brought something really new to me -- a completely fresh perspective. Same for the Ghost Trio, where the second movement is extremely spooky. Not as intense as my favourite with Ney and Stub, but spookier. These are all recordings where the HIPness brings big pay-offs poetically IMO.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on April 08, 2011, 08:18:43 PM
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op. 109, 110 & 111/Alexei Lubimov
Schubert: Impromptus Op.90 Et 142/Alexei Lubimov

Yes agreed -- the Beethoven is very fresh and spontaneous in Op 109 especially. Lubimov's Chopin album has some very good things in it too.

Mozart: Keyboard Music/Kristian Bezuidenhout

I thought the K310 and K475 were exciting on the Sturm und Drang CD -- I have yet to explore the new CDs

Beethoven: Piano Trios, Op. 97 "Archduke" and Op. 70, "Ghost"/Anner Bylsma, Jos van Immerseel & Vera Beths
Beethoven: Concerti Nos. 4 & 5 pour le pianoforte avec accompagnement d'orchestre/Arthur Schoonderwoerd & Cristofori

I didn't like the Ghost (I haven't listened to the Archduke.) And I thought that there were some funny tempo choices in the 4th concerto (I haven't listened to the 5th.)

Mandryka

A handful I like  are the  Eroica with Ensemble 28 and Daniel Grossmann and Anthony Newman's 2 CD selection of Mozart sonatas and the Haydn trios with Bylsma and Levin on Sony, Appony Qt Haydn op. 33, Minkowski's B minor mass, Bruggen's Gran Partita, Lubimov's Beethpven PC3 and Mozart PC24

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 09, 2011, 05:45:07 AM
Yes agreed -- the Beethoven is very fresh and spontaneous in Op 109 especially. Lubimov's Chopin album has some very good things in it too.

I thought the K310 and K475 were exciting on the Sturm und Drang CD -- I have yet to explore the new CDs

I didn't like the Ghost (I haven't listened to the Archduke.) And I thought that there were some funny tempo choices in the 4th concerto (I haven't listened to the 5th.)

Who do you recommend as a better HIP performance of the Ghost? I'd like to check it out. I'm so sold on the sound of the Beethoven concertos. But I don't understand music well enough to get specific problems like the tempo problems you mention. I'll have to listen more closely. I'm always looking for recommendations though. I had the Lubin Beethoven concertos - but somehow I find the Schoonderwoerd so exciting. Sometimes I feel like I know so little about music that I shouldn't really be commenting on it! Anyway, at least I can get good ideas from you and everyone else. Why aren't there more HIP recordings of Mendelssohn's piano concertos?
I'd welcome any suggestions as to what HIP versions might be superior to the ones I posted. Hmm, shall I post my Bach?

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on April 10, 2011, 02:42:44 AM
Who do you recommend as a better HIP performance of the Ghost? I'd like to check it out. I'm so sold on the sound of the Beethoven concertos. But I don't understand music well enough to get specific problems like the tempo problems you mention. I'll have to listen more closely. I'm always looking for recommendations though. I had the Lubin Beethoven concertos - but somehow I find the Schoonderwoerd so exciting. Sometimes I feel like I know so little about music that I shouldn't really be commenting on it! Anyway, at least I can get good ideas from you and everyone else. Why aren't there more HIP recordings of Mendelssohn's piano concertos?
I'd welcome any suggestions as to what HIP versions might be superior to the ones I posted. Hmm, shall I post my Bach?

For the Ghost I like the one with the one with Queras and Staier, Have you tried the Lubimov PC3 on symphonyshare, from a concert last year? I haven't heard a PC 4 on fortepiano I like yet. Please do post the Bach!

milk

These are some of my favorite Bach HIP recordings (does this belong in another forum?):

Bach: Partitas for Harpsichord/Masaaki Suzuki
Bach: 6 Partitas BWV 825-830/Gustav Leonhardt
Virgin Veritas - Bach: French Suites/Davitt Moroney
The French Suites/Bradley Brookshire
Bach: Variations Goldberg, BWV 988/Pierre Hantai
Variations Glodberg/Scott Ross
Bach: Goldberg Variations/Kenneth Gilbert
Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Books I&II/Kenneth Gilbert
The Well-Tempered Clavier/Glen Wilson
Bach: The Well Tempered Clavier/Robert Levin
Johann Sebastian Bach, the Art of Fugue BWV 1080/Christian Rieger
The Art Of The Fugue/Bradley Brookshire
Bach: English Suites/Gustav Leonhardt
Bach: Inventions and Sinfonias/Christiane Jaccottet
Bach, J.S.: Harpsichord Works/Christophe Rousset
Bach: Works for Lute Harpsicord/Robert Hill
Bach: Concertos Pour Clavecin/Bertrand Cuiller, Daniel Cuiller & Stradivaria
Bach - Complete Harpsichord Concerti on Antique Instruments/Moroney/Kim/Haas/Flint/Pearl
Bach: Harpsichord Concertos/Ottavio Dantone & Accademia Bizantina
Bach: 8 Violin Sonatas/Elizabeth Blumenstock & John Butt

Anyone have any suggestions as to the Toccatas? I have recordings by Tilney and Troeger...Perhaps I should acquire another set?

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 10, 2011, 03:01:19 AM
For the Ghost I like the one with the one with Queras and Staier, Have you tried the Lubimov PC3 on symphonyshare, from a concert last year? I haven't heard a PC 4 on fortepiano I like yet. Please do post the Bach!
I have to check out the Staier!

milk

I downloaded this today. I love it. I'm on the edge of my seat listening.