If you ever met Debussy and Ravel together...

Started by mikkeljs, September 27, 2008, 07:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkeljs

Isn´t it scary that these to people have been sitting together on cafees in Paris? It would have been looked exactly like a Trinity film!

I think more and more that Debussy and Ravel really IS Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill.   

karlhenning

Well, Debussy, sure;  if I saw him seated at a café, I'd go instead to the café across the boulevard.

The new erato

Quote from: karlhenning on September 27, 2008, 07:51:39 AM
Well, Debussy, sure;  if I saw him seated at a café, I'd go instead to the café across the boulevard.
Shouldn't you rather ask him if he knew the way to San Jose?

karlhenning

Quote from: erato on September 27, 2008, 08:01:22 AM
Shouldn't you rather ask him if he knew the way to San Jose?

I'd say to him, Claude-Achille, L.A. is a great big freeway . . . .

Wanderer

I'm sure there are far worse people one could run into at a café.  $:)

karlhenning

As ever, Tasos takes the philosophical approach . . . .

orbital

M forever

Quote from: karlhenning on September 27, 2008, 07:51:39 AM

Why? Would you be afraid you could be contaminated by some of his genius?

karlhenning

Wanderer

Mirror Image

Quote from: mikkeljs on September 27, 2008, 07:30:38 AM
Isn´t it scary that these to people have been sitting together on cafees in Paris? It would have been looked exactly like a Trinity film!

I think more and more that Debussy and Ravel really IS Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill.   

Debussy and Ravel started off as friends and did many things together, like hangout at cafes, but their friendship soured once the press started spreading their propaganda stories like Who is the better composer? or Who influenced who? I think the two still, even though they drifted apart, had tremendous respect for each other. I wonder if Villa-Lobos ever met Ravel or Debussy? I know Stravinsky made friends with both composers as there are pictures of him with the two.

Debussy and Ravel are always linked together, but honestly the two composers couldn't be more different. Debussy pioneered musical Impressionism and Ravel refined it and imbued it with a more classical form, but also, a razor-sharp instrumental precision.

Joe Barron

Quick quiz: Spot the echinus,  spot the abacus, spot the architrave:

karlhenning

karlhenning

If you ever met Debussy and Ravel together...on the road, drown them.