Charles Ives

Started by Thom, April 18, 2007, 10:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: Atriod on April 11, 2024, 07:09:33 AMMore recently I have come to really love the Concord Sonata and it's fast approaching one of my favorite American solo keyboard works if not my number one. A big reason for this is there are only a couple of instances of Ives quoting American music, instead the sonata is always forward looking.

I've been reading this book, and I can heartily recommend it for those that want more insight into his second sonata.

Looks to be a fascinating read; and a book I am sure to purchase, soon.  Thanks.  Kyle Gann is a good writer; I've got his book on Cage.

brewski

Another big thumbs-up for the Concord, and Gann's book looks excellent, too. I've been lucky to hear the sonata a few times live, with Marc-André Hamelin and Pierre-Laurent Aimard probably vying for top honors.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: brewski on April 11, 2024, 08:00:01 AMAnother big thumbs-up for the Concord, and Gann's book looks excellent, too. I've been lucky to hear the sonata a few times live, with Marc-André Hamelin and Pierre-Laurent Aimard probably vying for top honors.

-Bruce
I do remember hearing it and enjoying it (over the radio); will have to dig around to see whether or not I have a recording of it.
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: San Antone on April 11, 2024, 07:37:10 AMLooks to be a fascinating read; and a book I am sure to purchase, soon.  Thanks.  Kyle Gann is a good writer; I've got his book on Cage.
Quote from: brewski on April 11, 2024, 08:00:01 AMAnother big thumbs-up for the Concord, and Gann's book looks excellent, too. I've been lucky to hear the sonata a few times live, with Marc-André Hamelin and Pierre-Laurent Aimard probably vying for top honors.

-Bruce
Upon a quick googling:  so it was never finished by the composer?
Pohjolas Daughter

brewski

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 11, 2024, 10:59:02 AMUpon a quick googling:  so it was never finished by the composer?

Complicated! Here is a Gramophone article that may help.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Atriod

-Bruce

For those that have heard Marc-André Hamelin's old and new recording how do the two compare aside from his omission of flute and/or viola between the two recordings? I really like the Hyperion performance, one of my favorite CDs from him.

Atriod

I revisited this SACD which I played a couple of times when it came out then not much afterward. I liked it a lot more this time around, the first piano sonata is not that dissimilar to the Concord Sonata (it does wander a bit in places compared to the Concord, lacks that special something of the Concord Sonata that makes it a masterpiece). In Piano Sonata 1 there isn't any hint of romantic era leanings, no reminiscence of the past, etc. I see that Ives does quote some old American music but aside from the very obvious times he does it (kept to a minimum, mostly the fourth movement) I could not hear this since I was 1) unfamiliar with that music and 2) the way Ives does it it still sounds squarely modern/20th century and not kitschy. 

I have a newfound appreciation for this sonata that will now be in my heavy rotation pile of albums.