Franz Liszt (1811-86)

Started by Lethevich, September 28, 2008, 07:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on February 13, 2024, 02:41:46 AMAs different from --- whom?

Well, the problem with responding to that is that everyone hears things differently, and I don't want to put people's backs up.

When I typed bombastic, I was thinking of something I had just listened to after Angelich -- Gorus in Villa d'Este I. I had also listened to the same piece played by Rubackyté -- and vulgar was a harsh (possibly) reflection about that.

Vulgarity and the sound people make with  modern pianos is something I've been thinking about a bit recently, largely through revisiting Liszt's Annees.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Have you heard Michele Campanella? Here's what he says in the booklet:

I have consciously tried to underline the introspective side of a composer who is still considered today as someone exclusively histrionic. I hope that Liszt, from the Champs Elysees, agrees with me.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mandryka on February 13, 2024, 03:20:47 AMWell, the problem with responding to that is that everyone hears things differently, and I don't want to put people's backs up.

When I typed bombastic, I was thinking of something I had just listened to after Angelich -- Gorus in Villa d'Este I. I had also listened to the same piece played by Rubackyté -- and vulgar was a harsh (possibly) reflection about that.

Vulgarity and the sound people make with  modern pianos is something I've been thinking about a bit recently, largely through revisiting Liszt's Annees.

Trying to use nonjudgmental language, after very brief sampling Chamayou seems a bit unsubtle in la Champelle de Guilluame Tell. After several mentions I'm interested in Rubackyté, but I've only found it in Qobuz (which I don't subscribe to). Not in Apple Music, not at Presto.

Now I have too many versions to listen to! :(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 13, 2024, 05:20:29 AMTrying to use nonjudgmental language, after very brief sampling Chamayou seems a bit unsubtle in la Champelle de Guilluame Tell. After several mentions I'm interested in Rubackyté, but I've only found it in Qobuz (which I don't subscribe to). Not in Apple Music, not at Presto.

It's like with Well Tempered Clavier -- nearly all of them offer something.

Bk 3 is so different from Bks 1 and 2.  Like Siegfried -- Acts 1 and 2 so different from Act 3.

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 13, 2024, 05:20:29 AMTrying to use nonjudgmental language, after very brief sampling Chamayou seems a bit unsubtle in la Champelle de Guilluame Tell. After several mentions I'm interested in Rubackyté, but I've only found it in Qobuz (which I don't subscribe to). Not in Apple Music, not at Presto.

I bought my copy of Rubackyte used and hand-delivered from the much-missed GMGer Dancing Divertimentian. Though he lives or lived only one county away, I'm not sure what happened to him. In his profession, it benefited him to keep a low profile online and be hard to find.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2024, 06:16:54 AMI bought my copy of Rubackyte used and hand-delivered from the much-missed GMGer Dancing Divertimentian. Though he lives or lived only one county away, I'm not sure what happened to him. In his profession, it benefited him to keep a low profile online and be hard to find.

That means he is either a bounty hunter or an elementary school teacher. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 13, 2024, 06:21:47 AMThat means he is either a bounty hunter or an elementary school teacher. :)
I don't want to get into or cause any trouble with/for him, but it was legal-related. Definitely not ambulance chasing  ;D

(Insurance claim adjusters are another good example, though)

-

Now playing Grimwood III.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2024, 06:27:59 AMI don't want to get into or cause any trouble with/for him, but it was legal-related. Definitely not ambulance chasing  ;D

(Insurance claim adjusters are another good example, though)

-

Now playing Grimwood III.

Unless he is known professionally as Dancing Divertimentian, I don't see how you could endanger him here. :)

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 13, 2024, 06:59:38 AMUnless he is known professionally as Dancing Divertimentian, I don't see how you could endanger him here. :)

I don't know. Maybe there are people here, also under cover, who've been tracking him down for years. Caution is advised.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on February 13, 2024, 03:34:14 AMHave you heard Michele Campanella? Here's what he says in the booklet:

I have consciously tried to underline the introspective side of a composer who is still considered today as someone exclusively histrionic. I hope that Liszt, from the Champs Elysees, agrees with me.

Thanks, it sounds promising, I'll listen to more through the week. My two top picks at the mo are Jando and Cziffra.

Are there any other Hungarian pianists who recorded large amounts of it?

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mandryka on February 13, 2024, 07:45:16 AMThanks, it sounds promising, I'll listen to more through the week. My two top picks at the mo are Jando and Cziffra.

Are there any other Hungarian pianists who recorded large amounts of it?

Zoltán Kocsis did Book III.

I think Cziffra is great, but the audio quality is a problem for me.

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 13, 2024, 08:18:24 AMZoltán Kocsis did Book III.

I think Cziffra is great, but the audio quality is a problem for me.

Try Jando in III - I doubt you'll be sorry. Really refined and sensitive playing I think. I also thought he was good in I - fresh. I haven't heard his II yet.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on February 13, 2024, 07:10:45 AMI don't know. Maybe there are people here, also under cover, who've been tracking him down for years. Caution is advised.  ;D

One can always create a conspiracy theory if one really puts one's mind to it.

I do enjoy the Mel Gibson movie where he's a conspiracy nut and one of his conspiracies turns out to be true... only he's not sure which one.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Spotted Horses

Arrau's Chapelle de Guillaume Tell (Philips) doesn't seem promising at first but becomes wonderfully rich.

Spotted Horses

Well, I've listened to Grimwood, which I found very rewarding.

What should be my next Années de pèlerinage?

I've listened to (that I remember) Berman, Ciccolini, Cziffra, Howard, parts of Lortie. I see the recomendation for Jando from Mandryka above, which I've put on my list. But so many options. There's Angelich, Korstick, Tiberghien, Bolet, Bartal, Rubackyté (suggested by Brian, not on Apple Music) Gorus. Where to start? Or maybe my obsession with Années de pèlerinage has gotten out of hand and I should find some other music by Liszt to listen to.

Brian

Gorus and Korstick are really opposites and it might be entertaining to contrast them for that reason. Korstick is no-nonsense, virtuosic, serious, a little bit "hard," while Gorus takes the Petrarch sonnets especially and slows/softens them into almost impressionistic, Debussy-like clouds of poetry.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on April 11, 2024, 10:13:58 AMGorus and Korstick are really opposites and it might be entertaining to contrast them for that reason. Korstick is no-nonsense, virtuosic, serious, a little bit "hard," while Gorus takes the Petrarch sonnets especially and slows/softens them into almost impressionistic, Debussy-like clouds of poetry.

Agreed this.  Gorus is ultimately the more satisfying because his playing is the more romantic.  Pity he has not recorded more.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on April 11, 2024, 10:13:58 AMGorus and Korstick are really opposites and it might be entertaining to contrast them for that reason. Korstick is no-nonsense, virtuosic, serious, a little bit "hard," while Gorus takes the Petrarch sonnets especially and slows/softens them into almost impressionistic, Debussy-like clouds of poetry.

I have this feeling that I've listened to Korstick recently, but my listening journal only shows Milhaud piano concertos, from some years ago. I think Korstick is cross-circuited in my brain with Koukl.

From your description Koustick sounds more to my liking than Gorus, since the objectivist Ciccolini is my ideal Liszt pianist, despite less than spectacular audio from EMI France. But the contrast with Gorus sounds interesting.

Quote from: Todd on April 11, 2024, 10:24:58 AMAgreed this.  Gorus is ultimately the more satisfying because his playing is the more romantic.  Pity he has not recorded more.

Does he overuse the sustain pedal?

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya