Franz Liszt (1811-86)

Started by Lethevich, September 28, 2008, 07:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquin des Prez

I wasn't the one to hijack the thread. My original post was very much on topic. Its people who took objection to my assessment of the creative worth of Liszt that drove this thread astray.

mc ukrneal

Well I have an actual Liszt question. I have Szidon on the Hungarian Rhapsodies. He's ok for some of them, but he misses it for me on #2 (the famous one).  He's too abrupt and not nuanced enough in some of the early going. I have ordered some selections performed by Fiorentino. Anyone have any opinions on this?  Who do you think performs them ideally (for you anyway)?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

springrite

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 08, 2010, 08:10:16 AM
I wasn't the one to hijack the thread. My original post was very much on topic. Its people who took objection to my assessment of the creative worth of Liszt that drove this thread astray.

How dare they disagree with the God of Music who holds absolute truth?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 08, 2010, 07:52:46 AM
Refraining from ad hominem attacks is the best possible way to maintain your posting privileges. Good thing to remember.
GB

Nobody complains when people like James do it. Am i missing something here?

Scarpia

Quote from: ukrneal on April 08, 2010, 08:11:09 AM
Well I have an actual Liszt question. I have Szidon on the Hungarian Rhapsodies. He's ok for some of them, but he misses it for me on #2 (the famous one).  He's too abrupt and not nuanced enough in some of the early going. I have ordered some selections performed by Fiorentino. Anyone have any opinions on this?  Who do you think performs them ideally (for you anyway)?

This one is self-recommending, I have it but haven't found the time to listen yet.

(Cziffra)

On the other hand, I've listened to this set and enjoyed it.

(Campanella)

But then again, I like Sidoze better.   8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 08, 2010, 08:12:12 AM
Nobody complains when people like James do it. Am i missing something here?

Go back and look at James' last outburst on the previous page. And it doesn't need a complaint necessarily, I am quite entitled to file my own complaint. Thus, I complained to myself and decide that my complaint was justified.

Anyone is entitled to hold any bizarre POV they wish for as long as they are up to defending it. Calling people morons and such isn't a legitimate defense, it's a tool of intellectual desperation. ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 08, 2010, 07:52:46 AM
Only a moron would confuse the inner pulse that drive a creative artist with the immediate circumstances that lead to the creation of their work. Shakespeare was a genius because of who was. He couldn't have helped being a genius even if he tried to. The only thing that is hysterical here is your own stupidity. I always strived not to insult anybody here but i can no longer tolerate this level of thick headedness.

Refraining from ad hominem attacks is the best possible way to maintain your posting privileges. Good thing to remember.
GB

Aw, Gurn.  Just as it wasn't "JdP" who hijacked the thread about Liszt, but rather it was the fault of those who wished to discuss the merits of Liszt's music on the Liszt thread — "JdP" would never have called anyone a moron, without severe provocation!  He didn't want to call anyone a moron!  He had to call us all morons in the search for absolute truth!

It's for our own good, you see.

I agree that the Szidon set is mixed . . . I haven't yet sought out a better.  As Scarpia suggests, the Cziffra must be good . . . but of course, it's incomplete.

springrite

I have the Cziffra and Misha Dichter, among others. Cziffra is satisfying. Dichter's left hand seems weak in comparison with his right, causing a problem in balance for me. I also have Brendel but have not listened to it for about 10 years and funny enough, I have no impressions of how I felt when I last listened.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: springrite on April 08, 2010, 08:12:03 AM
How dare they disagree with the God of Music who holds absolute truth?

They could have simply tried to state all their reasons for believing Liszt was in fact a genius if they so objected to my original statement, rather then howl feces at my general direction. But i suspect the reason they refrained from doing so is that deep down they probably know i am right, which psyches them out. Notice that the fact Liszt may or may have not been a genius does not preclude any discussion of his music, which is very much worth talking about.

Josquin des Prez

Cannot answer that. But if you are looking for a good recording of the Etudes, i must say i was pleasantly surprised by Vladimir Ovchinikov, which i acquired a while back. Very clear and detailed, whereas many other pianists always sound a bit cacophonic in their inability to resolve all the technical challenges posed by this compositions.

I uploaded the second Etude so you guys can sample this recording:

http://rapidshare.com/files/373501655/02_-_Untitled.flac.html

karlhenning

Quote from: springrite on April 08, 2010, 08:21:09 AM
I have the Cziffra and Misha Dichter, among others. Cziffra is satisfying. Dichter's left hand seems weak in comparison with his right, causing a problem in balance for me. I also have Brendel but have not listened to it for about 10 years and funny enough, I have no impressions of how I felt when I last listened.

A great friend of mine is practically a Liszt expert . . . I don't know that he has an ideal set of the Hungarian Rhapsodies, either.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 08, 2010, 08:32:01 AM
A great friend of mine is practically a Liszt expert . . . I don't know that he has an ideal set of the Hungarian Rhapsodies, either.

This seems to be a recurrent theme with Liszt.

jowcol

As part of our search for the truth, we should continue to entertain the possibility that jowcol IS a moron, and thick-headed one at that.  I tend to concur with the original post.

But I also know for a fact that he is  also thick-skinned, admires the passion people bring to their love of music, and welcomes the participation of everyone on this board, and encourages them to continue posting!  ;) 

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

karlhenning

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 08, 2010, 08:40:28 AM
This seems to be a recurrent theme with Liszt.

No, you're just apt to see what you want to see.

MN Dave

karlhenning

If it sounds good, it is good. Genius.

kishnevi

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 08, 2010, 08:32:01 AM

Dark horse suggestion: Jando on Naxos.  It's in two volumes that make up part of their complete piano works series.  When I first got it, I had a mixed reaction to it, but it's grown on me over time.

MN Dave

Keyboard warriors, I call 'em.  :)

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on April 08, 2010, 09:12:54 AM
Keyboard warriors, I call 'em.  :)

See we need a Chopin vs Liszt thread. ;D