Started by Lethevich, September 28, 2008, 07:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Quote from: Florestan on May 16, 2011, 06:08:42 AM
Mea maxima culpa! Apologies!  0:)

You and your bloomin' unintelligible German phrases....!  ;D

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 16, 2011, 07:16:32 AM
Actually, I get the sense that the instrumental version has been recorded as often (or oftener).

Give this one a go, Scarps:

[asin]B000FMR3YY[/asin]

Duh, I have that recording.   :P  I've been afraid to listen to it because of the fear that it will be good and I'll have to get the other volumes from the series. 

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 16, 2011, 06:53:48 AM....but you are right, my main objection is to the use of chorus, and to the idea that the music has become insufficient....

So with the addition of the human voice it somehow ceases to be "music"?  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 16, 2011, 09:22:32 AM
So with the addition of the human voice it somehow ceases to be "music"?  ;D

Not the addition of the human voice, the addition of words.   If Liszt had added wordless choir as an "orchestral" effect my objection would be moot.  It is the idea (attributed to Wagner's influence in one of the little booklets) that the text was necessary to provided the satisfactory conclusion.

Florestan

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 16, 2011, 06:53:48 AM
I would never be able to understand the words being sung no matter what language,

Yet your username suggests an opera fan.  ???

(Look, I'm not trying to play the smartass, boyscout honor --- I don't understand more than a few German / Latin words and my Italian is serviceable enough only if the singers have a perfect diction. :) )
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Luke

Quote from: Leon on May 17, 2011, 06:10:28 AM
I just got this from the library:

[asin]B000VZAVTY[/asin]

Ahhhh, Arte Nova and their eccentric cover art. Boxing is, of course, the first thing I think of when I imagine l'Abbe Liszt composing all those devout, peculiar late organ pieces...

abidoful

Quote from: Luke on May 17, 2011, 07:28:04 AM
Ahhhh, Arte Nova and their eccentric cover art. Boxing is, of course, the first thing I think of when I imagine l'Abbe Liszt composing all those devout, peculiar late organ pieces...
Maybe it implyes that Liszt had put his Boxing gloves aside at the time he composed these organ works?

karlhenning

Quote from: Luke on May 17, 2011, 07:28:04 AM

I cannot help feeling that there is a tie-in with Billy Joel (that Piano Man) and his The Stranger.

But then, I remember
Cato's sound advice via W.C. Fields ; )

haydnguy

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 09, 2010, 06:39:04 AM
One of my favorite discs is a collection of late works, most of them cello & piano, played on an Érard piano of Liszt's day.

Karl, could you elaborate on what disc you are referring to? I'm starting to fill in my collection with the much neglected Liszt (in my case).  Thanks!

Scarpia

Quote from: haydnguy on May 20, 2011, 09:44:21 AM
Karl, could you elaborate on what disc you are referring to? I'm starting to fill in my collection with the much neglected Liszt (in my case).  Thanks!

I'm finally catching on that there are two haydnxxx posters.   The next step is figuring out which is which. 

Mn Dave

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 20, 2011, 09:49:14 AM
I'm finally catching on that there are two haydnxxx posters.   The next step is figuring out which is which.

Yeah! And I don't have all these user-name changes sorted yet.  >:(

karlhenning

Quote from: haydnguy on May 20, 2011, 09:44:21 AM

Jos van Immerseel on this disc:

[asin]B0002LGW18[/asin]

haydnguy

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 20, 2011, 09:53:54 AM
Jos van Immerseel on this disc:

[asin]B0002LGW18[/asin]

Great! Thanks. It says it's temp. out of stock. I'll go ahead and order and see what they say. They don't even let you download it. ???

haydnguy

I am me, and he is he.  :P

DavidW

Easy he is the Haydn and Bax fan, I'm the Haydn and Bach fan.  Of course now I also like Bax and he likes Bach... ;D

Mn Dave

I'm changing mine to "David W."  0:)

karlhenning

Scarpia

Quote from: haydnfan on May 20, 2011, 11:17:04 AM
Easy he is the Haydn and Bax fan, I'm the Haydn and Bach fan.  Of course now I also like Bax and he likes Bach... ;D

Ok, at least you don't both have pictures of Haydn as your avatars anymore.   :P

DavidW

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 20, 2011, 11:30:29 AM
Ok, at least you don't both have pictures of Haydn as your avatars anymore.   :P

On the other forum we both do! :D

Mn Dave