The conductor as composer

Started by Greta, May 16, 2007, 02:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: knight on November 30, 2008, 06:52:11 AM
What can I say, other than....yes, though as to whether you are being dense or obtuse, I will not hazard an opinion.

Mike

Of all the many faults I doubtless possess my lack of a well-defined sense of humour is one of the most socially crippling :( ;D ;D

Brian

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 25, 2007, 03:47:36 PM
Paul Paray(two symphonies and a Mass)
Paul Kletzki(three symphonies; stopped composing in 1942)
Antal Dorati(two symphonies, concertos, an opera, a cantata and a wide range of other music)
Rafael Kubelik(three symphonies, three Requiems, operas)
I'd very much like to hear these works.

I haven't read the whole thread to see if he's been mentioned yet, but Oliver Knussen comes to mind.

Guido

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 30, 2008, 06:20:57 AM
Agree about Adams-though, obviously, he isn't British ;D Ades is a composer whose work I don't know :(

Oh wow, you really must - probably my favourite (I would say greatest... but don't want to be presumptuous) young composer working today - and thankfully all his works have been recorded by EMI. He's a composer who conducts (and plays piano) too.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Dundonnell

Quote from: Brian on November 30, 2008, 10:41:41 AM
I'd very much like to hear these works.

I haven't read the whole thread to see if he's been mentioned yet, but Oliver Knussen comes to mind.

Kletzki's 3rd Symphony the two Dorati have been released by BIS.

I too would like to hear the Paray and the Kubelik but also Jean Martinon's four symphonies.

some guy

Quote from: Guido on November 30, 2008, 02:46:45 PM
Oh wow, you really must - probably my favourite (I would say greatest... but don't want to be presumptuous) young composer working today....

Kinda depends on how many young composers working today you know, dunnit?

Maciek

Don't know how I've managed to miss this thread before. Could anyone re-upload the files that M Forever posted near the beginning? :-*

In the meantime, I'll merge this with the older version of the topic.

Quote from: Guido on November 30, 2008, 06:16:12 AM
He's a champion of Ades and Adams

And Szymanowski! 8)

vandermolen

Any views on the two Dorati symphonies?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on December 02, 2008, 11:42:04 AM
Any views on the two Dorati symphonies?

I shall listen to them again and get back to you ;D

(Far too often in the past I have bought cds, listened to them once and filed them on my shelves-too busy to make the time to listen to them again. Now that I am unemployed I do not have that excuse ;D)

Guido

Quote from: some guy on December 01, 2008, 09:52:37 PM
Kinda depends on how many young composers working today you know, dunnit?

Well yes, but also I don't want to discount the possibility of an Ives like character who is working in some kind of self imposed quarantine! Also, one is rather limited by what one can reasonably get on CD.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 02, 2008, 11:56:42 AM
I shall listen to them again and get back to you ;D

(Far too often in the past I have bought cds, listened to them once and filed them on my shelves-too busy to make the time to listen to them again. Now that I am unemployed I do have that excuse ;D)

Thanks Colin.  I do exactly the same myself!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Ok..have listened again to the two Dorati symphonies on BIS(Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra/the composer conducting) ;D

The 1st(a work in five movements dating from the mid-1950s and performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Dorati's last concert as their Music Director) is an aggressively harsh work and somewhat less than appealing. The 2nd "Querela Pacis"(1985) was commissioned by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and is a better piece, less frenetic, more measured, quite a moving work. The BIS recording of the 1st was made at a live performance in Stockholm in 1972 but the 2nd is a studio recording from May 1988 just 6 months before Dorati died.

What a great conductor Dorati was incidentally! So many great recordings and so many orchestras put on the map or turned around by him(Minneapolis, Dallas, Washington, Detroit, not to mention Stockholm, the BBC Symphony and the Royal Philharmonic in London.)

Dundonnell

British Broadcasting Corporation as in ABC or NBC in the USA.

I am presuming that you know what USA stands for?

Brian

Quote from: Christi on December 02, 2008, 05:27:21 PM
Like I said, I didn't know a TV channel had a Philharmonic !!!!
BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
BBC Concert Orchestra
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
BBC Symphony Orchestra
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
http://www.bbc.co.uk/orchestras/

Dundonnell

The BBC is not a TV channel. It is the world's largest broadcasting organization and a self-governing public corporation financed through a licence fee payable by everybody in Britain who has access to its' radio and tv broadcasts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC

The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra is based in Manchester(north of England) and used to be known as the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra.

Dundonnell

This has now become plain ridiculous >:(

You ask questions which some of us have (probably stupidly) tried to answer but you have never told us anything at all about yourself!

And now you don't even read the answers!! I explained what the letters B.B.C. stand for and provided a link to the wikipedia article.

Enough is enough >:( If someone sees me responding to any more of these posts you have my permission to administer a swift boot up the backside :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 02, 2008, 03:02:22 PM
Ok..have listened again to the two Dorati symphonies on BIS(Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra/the composer conducting) ;D

The 1st(a work in five movements dating from the mid-1950s and performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Dorati's last concert as their Music Director) is an aggressively harsh work and somewhat less than appealing. The 2nd "Querela Pacis"(1985) was commissioned by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and is a better piece, less frenetic, more measured, quite a moving work. The BIS recording of the 1st was made at a live performance in Stockholm in 1972 but the 2nd is a studio recording from May 1988 just 6 months before Dorati died.

What a great conductor Dorati was incidentally! So many great recordings and so many orchestras put on the map or turned around by him(Minneapolis, Dallas, Washington, Detroit, not to mention Stockholm, the BBC Symphony and the Royal Philharmonic in London.)

Thanks Colin that's very helpful. The question is: is the Second Symphony moving enough for me to buy the CD? Is there a recording by The History Channel Symphony Orchestra?  ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on December 03, 2008, 01:49:37 AM
Thanks Colin that's very helpful. The question is: is the Second Symphony moving enough for me to buy the CD? Is there a recording by The History Channel Symphony Orchestra?  ;D

All good things come to those who wait ;D ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 03, 2008, 06:56:29 AM
All good things come to those who wait ;D ;D

Thanks v much Colin. I'll let you know what i make of it.

Jeffrey

vandermolen

What about Hamilton Harty? A great conductor of the premiere of Walton's First Symphony but also an interesting composer. The Children of Lir in particular and I have a soft spot for the Rachmaninov like Piano Concerto.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on December 07, 2008, 02:49:59 AM
What about Hamilton Harty? A great conductor of the premiere of Walton's First Symphony but also an interesting composer. The Children of Lir in particular and I have a soft spot for the Rachmaninov like Piano Concerto.

Don't know how I could have missed Hamilton Harty! You are absolutely right! Good heavens-I have got 5 cds of music by Harty!! The Irish Symphony, the Piano and Violin Concertos and, a piece I really like, the Tone Poem "With the Wild Geese"(which is nothing to do with the geese which fly btw; the "Wild Geese" were the soldiers of an Irish Jacobite mercenary army which fought in continental Europe on the side of France and a number of other countries in the wars of the late 17th and early 18th century).