Franz Schmidt(1874-1939)

Started by Dundonnell, October 01, 2008, 02:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 02, 2021, 04:26:45 PM
Another example of me eating my own words. I've come to enjoy more of this composer's music lately. Namely, the 2nd symphony, which is an absolute treasure chest of beautiful ideas. The opening motif alone sends me to quite a tranquil and sunlit place. It also reminds me of spring for some odd reason. Almost like a reawakening of the spirit in a way. Looking forward to digging into the 1st and 3rd symphonies, which I don't know well at all.

The 2nd is a terrific score. Its style reminds me of Bruckner and Strauss in how imposing, challenging, devotional and chromatic sounds like. The 2nd movement is my favorite, with a splendidly lyrical section around 6:30 that just melts my heart. That is a tune with technique!!

The No. 3 in A major could be the more challenging or chromatic of the bunch. The style is rather "autumnal", sober, very introspective in my view. That work has grown on me over the years. And the 1st is so lovely. Schmidt pays homage to Bruckner with a motif or an idea in the endearing 2nd movement which seems belonging to Bruckner's 7th Symphony. He's an interesting composer for sure. His chamber music has some gems too: the Piano Quintet in G major and the Clarinet and Piano (left hand) Quintet in A major.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on November 02, 2021, 05:25:45 PM
Well, at least you're making amends by adopting him as your avatar - for now  :D.

Indeed! 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 02, 2021, 06:17:32 PM
The 2nd is a terrific score. Its style reminds me of Bruckner and Strauss in how imposing, challenging, devotional and chromatic sounds like. The 2nd movement is my favorite, with a splendidly lyrical section around 6:30 that just melts my heart. That is a tune with technique!!

The No. 3 in A major could be the more challenging or chromatic of the bunch. The style is rather "autumnal", sober, very introspective in my view. That work has grown on me over the years. And the 1st is so lovely. Schmidt pays homage to Bruckner with a motif or an idea in the endearing 2nd movement which seems belonging to Bruckner's 7th Symphony. He's an interesting composer for sure. His chamber music has some gems too: the Piano Quintet in G major and the Clarinet and Piano (left hand) Quintet in A major.

Excellent to read, Cesar. Glad you enjoy this composer's music as well. I'm just starting to really get reacquainted with it after a long hiatus. The chamber works are definitely on my must-hear list along with Notre Dame.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 02, 2021, 07:44:59 PM
Excellent to read, Cesar. Glad you enjoy this composer's music as well. I'm just starting to really get reacquainted with it after a long hiatus. The chamber works are definitely on my must-hear list along with Notre Dame.

Good stuff, John. The Husar Variations also contain some remarkable music and ideas. His organ works are virtually unknown to me, and that's a significant deal of his output.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 02, 2021, 07:55:20 PM
Good stuff, John. The Husar Variations also contain some remarkable music and ideas. His organ works are virtually unknown to me, and that's a significant deal of his output.

I'll gladly skip over the organ works, but yes, Variations on a Hussar's Song is a great piece.

André

Listening to the 4th as I write, after Welser-Möst, Moralt, Rajter (last week) and before Mehta (tomorrow).

It is indeed a very, very fine performance, definitely digging deeper into the score than WM and Rajter, but less than Moralt, whose searing conception is carried out by the Wiener Symphoniker as if it was their last concert on this earth.

I noticed a couple of thematic connections with other composers' works. The opening trumpet solo (reprised at the beginning of III) is varied into a motto that is used by Strauss in Elektra (Elektra's opening scene, when she calls out the ghost of her slain father: 'Agamemnon!') - and then in II, Delius' shadow hovers, especially in the ascending scales of the long opening theme, first heard on the cello (hardly noticeable), then on the strings (more so) and then the clarinet and oboe (unmistakeable). I'm sure these are not quotes, not even influences other than a common Austro-German post-romantic heritage. Still, for some strange reason these perceived links to Strauss and Delius make me appreciate Schmidt even more.

kyjo

Reposted from the "blown away" thread:

Schmidt: Piano Quintet in G major (1926)

Where has this work been all my life?? It's written in Schmidt's characteristically rather understated (but never dull!) and bittersweet style, juxtaposing winding chromatic harmonies with beautiful diatonic melodies. The whole work is excellent, but Schmidt had a real knack for writing deeply touching slow movements, and this one is certainly no exception. It's stunningly beautiful in its timeless simplicity, and I won't deny that it brought me to tears!! Needless to say, the performance by these "big name" artists is uniformly superb and gives this splendid music the advocacy it so richly deserves. Any self-respecting Schmidt and/or chamber music enthusiast needs to hear this work!!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff