Frank Bridge

Started by tjguitar, May 04, 2007, 05:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Madiel on August 04, 2021, 06:37:38 AM
I'm seeing what look like a lot of Eric Parkin LPs. Which are not of much use to those of us without turntables, and would be a clear reason why he would not necessarily be included in a conversation.  If his recordings have never made it into CD or online formats, lots of us are not in a position to hear them and they're not going to be easy to purchase.

All of the recordings I mention are CD's - just happens that the easy to find images are of the LP originals - not hard to check!

Madiel

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 04, 2021, 08:54:14 AM
All of the recordings I mention are CD's - just happens that the easy to find images are of the LP originals - not hard to check!

I went searching for Parkin playing Bridge and all I could find was vinyl.

I didn't go checking for other composers.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

The more I listen to this composer's compositions, the more I get astounded. Just I was listening to Dance Poem. Bridge's orchestration skills are nothing but amazing, he also manages to feature an alluring sense of harmony and rhythm that make all the mix so compelling.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 01, 2022, 02:49:47 PM
The more I listen to this composer's compositions, the more I get astounded. Just I was listening to Dance Poem. Bridge's orchestration skills are nothing but amazing, he also manages to feature an alluring sense of harmony and rhythm that make all the mix so compelling.

I must admit I'm mostly unfamiliar with Bridge's orchestral works apart from the magnificent Enter Spring and those two darkly impressive concertante works - Oration for cello and Phantasm for piano. Oddly enough, I recall being rather disappointed by The Sea. I'll have to give the Dance Poem a listen!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on February 03, 2022, 07:12:30 PM
I must admit I'm mostly unfamiliar with Bridge's orchestral works apart from the magnificent Enter Spring and those two darkly impressive concertante works - Oration for cello and Phantasm for piano. Oddly enough, I recall being rather disappointed by The Sea. I'll have to give the Dance Poem a listen!

Bridge's music is rather wonderful.  The only 'issue' for anyone listening to any of his work is the remarkable transformation in style and content pre and post WWI.  The Sea is an early work and quite quite different from the later orchestral pieces.  But of its kind, I still think it is probably the finest orchestral suite written by any British composer at that time.

springrite

I have been listening mostly to Bridge's orchestral and chamber music, until I had a good listening to his piano music -- a CD I have had for 30 years but never really listened to attentively. The piano sonata is a masterpiece!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Irons

Quote from: springrite on February 03, 2022, 11:45:04 PM
I have been listening mostly to Bridge's orchestral and chamber music, until I had a good listening to his piano music -- a CD I have had for 30 years but never really listened to attentively. The piano sonata is a masterpiece!

The piano sonata is amazing. I like the pastoral 1st SQ but struggle with the others.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on February 04, 2022, 01:02:25 AM
The piano sonata is amazing. I like the pastoral 1st SQ but struggle with the others.

And, oddly enough, I'm coming to grips with Nos. 3 and 4 more and more. The Maggini Quartet makes them sound understandable to my ears.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 04, 2022, 06:35:38 PM
And, oddly enough, I'm coming to grips with Nos. 3 and 4 more and more. The Maggini Quartet makes them sound understandable to my ears.

+1 for the later Bridge quartets...... greatest British String Quartets anyone........?!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 03, 2022, 11:34:00 PM
Bridge's music is rather wonderful.  The only 'issue' for anyone listening to any of his work is the remarkable transformation in style and content pre and post WWI.  The Sea is an early work and quite quite different from the later orchestral pieces.  But of its kind, I still think it is probably the finest orchestral suite written by any British composer at that time.
I also rate 'The Sea' very highly. The RLPO recording conducted by Sir Charles Groves is my favourite version.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 04, 2022, 11:56:34 PM
+1 for the later Bridge quartets...... greatest British String Quartets anyone........?!

I don't know enough BSQs to compare, really. But late Bridge chamber music is pretty fabulous in my view. Chamber music is his best genre in general.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 04, 2022, 06:35:38 PM

It is 3 & 4 I have (Allegri SQ on Argo). I return parodically waiting for penny to drop. Perhaps a change of ensemble to the excellent Maggini will bring me into the fold. :)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

I remember thinking highly of the Cello Sonata.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 04, 2022, 11:58:25 PM
I also rate 'The Sea' very highly. The RLPO recording conducted by Sir Charles Groves is my favourite version.

+1 for the Groves/Bridge disc - a clear case of first love!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 05, 2022, 03:29:31 AM
Indeed! That's my all-time favourite Bridge disc.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 05, 2022, 03:29:31 AM

Summer and Enter Spring too are impossibly better performed.

Noam Chomsky

lordlance

Listening to the finale of Piano Trio No. 2. This is surprisingly difficult music to listen to.

If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.