Boulay, Laurence 1974-1977 Erato
Verlet, Blandine 1976-1980 Astrée
Ross, Scott 1977-1978 Stil
Spieth, Noelle 1990-2003 Solstice
Baumont, Olivier 1991-1994 Erato
Rousset, Christophe 1992-1994 Harmonia Mundi
Klosiewicz, Wladyslaw 1993-1996 Polskie Radio/Dux
Borgstede, Michael 2004-2005 Brilliant
Kroll, Mark 2015-? Centaur (in progress)
Cerasi, Carole 2016-2017 Metronome
Cuiller, Bertrand 2018-? Harmonia Mundi (in progress)

Are any complete sets or sets in progress missing from this list? I've been doing some discographical research out of curiosity. I thought I was at least aware of all the complete sets out there, but I was wrong - today was the first time I learned about the Wladyslaw Klosiewicz recordings. I had also forgotten about Gerlin, though I have seen volumes of his set in used record stores. Not sure when they were recorded - the 1955 date comes from a positive review by Harold Schonberg in the New York Times.

Davitt Moroney on Plectra was planned to be complete when it started, I'm not sure how it's going.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Hans Holbein

Thank you. I forgot about Moroney. He completed his cycle in 2018 - four sets of three CDs each.

Mark Kroll's cycle may be as complete as it will get. He hasn't done "L'art de toucher le clavecin" but all of books 1-4 have been released. And his CD covers say "Complete Pièces de Clavecin", not complete harpsichord works.

A revised list:

Gerlin, Ruggero c.1955 L'Oiseau Lyre
Gilbert, Kenneth 1971 Harmonia Mundi
Boulay, Laurence 1974-1977 Erato
Verlet, Blandine 1976-1980 Astrée
Ross, Scott 1977-1978 Stil
Spieth, Noelle 1990-2003 Solstice
Baumont, Olivier 1991-1994 Erato
Rousset, Christophe 1992-1994 Harmonia Mundi
Klosiewicz, Wladyslaw 1993-1996 Polskie Radio/Dux
Borgstede, Michael 2004-2005 Brilliant
Moroney, Davitt 2012-2018 Plectra
Kroll, Mark 2015-2021? Centaur (in progress? Only "L'art de toucher le clavecin" is missing)
Cerasi, Carole 2016-2017 Metronome
Cuiller, Bertrand 2018-? Harmonia Mundi (in progress)

aligreto

Couperin, F: Intégrale Des Livres De Pièces De Clavecin 1-4 • Ordres 1-27 [Baumont]

L'Art de toucher le clavecin & Sicilienne

I am starting out of sequence as far as the order of the set is concerned but it is the shortest work in the set and a good way to ease my way into things here. Very pleasant and agreeable listening thus far.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on June 02, 2021, 12:31:16 PM
Couperin, F: Intégrale Des Livres De Pièces De Clavecin 1-4 • Ordres 1-27 [Baumont]

L'Art de toucher le clavecin & Sicilienne

I am starting out of sequence as far as the order of the set is concerned but it is the shortest work in the set and a good way to ease my way into things here. Very pleasant and agreeable listening thus far.

Hi Fergus - earlier in this thread, I was trying to decide on a 'harpsichord' version of these works - believe that I had purchased the Michael Borgstede Brilliant box at a great price, as usual, but was not that pleased w/ the performances, so then decided on the Carole Cerasi recordings inserted above, which I did enjoy - reviews have been excellent for her performances (several attached); SO, plenty out there to consider - have not heard the Baumont takes yet, but available on Spotify.  Dave :)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 02, 2021, 01:19:55 PM
Hi Fergus - earlier in this thread, I was trying to decide on a 'harpsichord' version of these works - believe that I had purchased the Michael Borgstede Brilliant box at a great price, as usual, but was not that pleased w/ the performances, so then decided on the Carole Cerasi recordings inserted above, which I did enjoy - reviews have been excellent for her performances (several attached); SO, plenty out there to consider - have not heard the Baumont takes yet, but available on Spotify.  Dave :)

Cheers, Dave. I am not overly familiar with this music hence the need to delve into it once again.  :)

aligreto

Premier livre de pièces de clavecin

OK, this was a lot of harpsichord music to be played consecutively but it was done over a protracted period of time.

This is a strong presentation of these works in a very good recording. I like the lively and engaging playing. I also like the robust sound of the instrument. It is well caught in a not too reverberant acoustic resulting in clean musical lines.

aligreto

Couperin, F: Deuxième Livre de Pieces de Clavecin [Rousset]

I have recently finished listening to this set.

I very much liked the music and playing on Rousset's presentation of Couperin's Premier Livre de Pieces de Clavecin....

....but this set [Deuxième Livre] comprises simply wonderful music and music making on a different level. Both the music and the performances are emotionally intense and are always engaging, compelling and inventive. There is great musical scope and variety in this set. The playing and presentations are superlative from a supreme soloist [one of my favourite harpsichordists]. The instrument used always sounds robust and well rounded and is always recorded very well. I have really engaged with this recording; musically and artistically it is excellent.

aligreto

Couperin, F: Troisième Livre de Pieces de Clavecin [Rousset]

In the Troisième Livre one can hear the music becoming even more mature in these later suites. The music can often be contemplative but it is always very engaging. The counterpoint is also becoming more involved. I like the music and musical language of the Concerts Royaux. I also like the sound of the instrument used and it is recorded very well in a benign acoustic.

The Concerts Royaux have the feeling of smaller scale pieces and are more intimate than the more grand Suites. They can be busy in the quicker tempo movements and there is also levity to be had in these works. Once again, I like the sound of the instrument and the benign acoustic in which it is recorded.

aligreto

Couperin, F: Quatrième Livre de Pieces de Clavecin [Rousset]

This is wonderful, absorbing and very engaging music which I find to be irresistible and which makes for rewarding listening. Not only do I find the music to be engaging but I also find it to be exciting and entertaining. Prolonged listening sessions are, therefore, very pleasurable and never aurally fatiguing affairs. The musical content, the exquisite playing and the wonderful recording all contribute to this. This is a wonderful finish to a terrific set.

SonicMan46

Concerts Royaux (the first or 1722 edition) - any fans and/or recommendations?

I enjoy these 'intimate' French chamber suites (described below w/ first pic showing the suite numbers and 'dances') - I've owned the Jed Wentz box for a while and disc 3 contains these works performed on period instruments; several days ago, I received the Rousset recording w/ his group Les Talens Lyriques (5 instrumentalists w/ an oboe added - booklet unclear as to the nature of the instruments used?).

For me, some of the intriguing features of these works include the choice of instruments (from one or several to more), the use (or not) of 'period instruments' (restored or reproductions), and the number of subtle ways to play these pieces (e.g. regarding tempos).  SO, any favorites of the ones shown below or others that intrigue?  Thanks - Dave :)

P.S. of course, one could go on to the Concerts Nouveaux on 2 discs in the Wentz box and likely a bunch of other 2-disc offerings!

QuoteThe Concerts royaux (English: Royal Concerts) are chamber music suites by François Couperin written for the court of Louis XIV. Each consists of a prelude and a succession of dances in the order allemande, sarabande or courante, followed by others (edited - see first pic below) – but the suites are intended for listening more than dancing. Four were produced in 1714 and published in 1722. Another ten followed in 1724, now called Nouveaux concerts. Neither of the two sets has fixed instrumentation: each suite can be played by solo harpsichord or an ensemble with a bass and three melody instruments, such as a violin, a viol, and an oboe or flute. (Source)