Erland von Koch

Started by Sungam, May 16, 2007, 05:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on July 10, 2012, 06:54:55 AM
Ah, Karl has officially entered The Golden Years! There's one Thread, where, I think it's vandermolen, tells the same story (the wheelbarrow?) every time the Thread comes up. :P  Ginko? ;) ;D

Sometimes I fear for my memory. :-X

Quote from: karlhenning on May 17, 2007, 08:49:42 AM
Only the trivial and irrelevant observation that he is only the second person I've heard of, with the name Erland.

The first was my first clarinet instructor, Erland Nordstrom.

Well, since my first post was more than five years ago, I do not worry overmuch that the event of posting the same information then dropped out of my memory.  For a distance of five years erewhile, my threshold of memorial importance must be higher ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2012, 06:58:28 AM
Well, since my first post was more than five years ago, I do not worry overmuch that the event of posting the same information then dropped out of my memory.  For a distance of five years erewhile, my threshold of memorial importance must be higher ; )

check ;) ;D

check ;) ;D

Do you know the clarinet 'Monologue'?

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on July 10, 2012, 06:54:55 AM
Ah, Karl has officially entered The Golden Years! There's one Thread, where, I think it's vandermolen, tells the same story (the wheelbarrow?) every time the Thread comes up. :P  Ginko? ;) ;D

Sometimes I fear for my memory. :-X

bump

Scion7

Golden years . . . golden years, cha-cha-cha . . .

Another composer I will have to investigate.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

Quote from: Scion7 on November 01, 2015, 07:43:32 AM
Golden years . . . golden years, cha-cha-cha . . .

Another composer I will have to investigate.

should be easy.... discography is pathetic... YT???

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2016, 01:12:17 PM
Just bought:

Has anyone heard these recordings? I'm quite interested in Koch's music after listened to a movement from his Symphony No. 3.

The new erato

I've reported very enthusiastically on the BIS release. You will love it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on March 28, 2016, 01:54:42 PM
I've reported very enthusiastically on the BIS release. You will love it.

Great to hear! Yeah, what I heard of Symphony No. 3 was enough to sell me on the composer. Plus, a little research doesn't hurt either. ;)

vandermolen

I've just received the BIS CD. I played the 'Nordic Capriccio' first - what a charming and inspiriting work! I had to play it again immediately. Now on to the symphonies. :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2016, 12:13:50 AM
I've just received the BIS CD. I played the 'Nordic Capriccio' first - what a charming and inspiriting work! I had to play it again immediately. Now on to the symphonies. :)

do tell

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2016, 12:13:50 AM

Yeah, Jeffrey. That BIS recording is great. I need to revisit his Symphony No. 3. This made a very favorable impression on me, especially that lovely slow movement.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2016, 10:24:32 AM
Yeah, Jeffrey. That BIS recording is great. I need to revisit his Symphony No. 3. This made a very favorable impression on me, especially that lovely slow movement.
I've enjoyed the CD very much but the work I like best at the moment is Sinfonia Seria (No.4) which has a redemptive ending -,something which always appeals to me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2016, 11:28:31 AM
I've enjoyed the CD very much but the work I like best at the moment is Sinfonia Seria (No.4) which has a redemptive ending -,something which always appeals to me.

Considering your hankerings for Pettersson, especially works from around the 6th, 7th, and 8th symphonies, it's no small wonder why you're drawn to these redemptive endings. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2016, 01:07:40 PM
Considering your hankerings for Pettersson, especially works from around the 6th, 7th, and 8th symphonies, it's no small wonder why you're drawn to these redemptive endings. :)
Very true John! :)
Also for great redemptive endings:
Rosenberg symphonies 2 and 3. Do you know those?

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 21, 2016, 05:06:58 AM
Very true John! :)
Also for great redemptive endings:
Rosenberg symphonies 2 and 3. Do you know those?

I can't say I'm very familiar with Rosenberg's oeuvre having only heard a few works. I do own a few recordings of his music: the ballet Orpheus in Town, the PCs, and Symphonies 3 & 6 (on a BIS recording).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 24, 2016, 06:35:37 AM
I can't say I'm very familiar with Rosenberg's oeuvre having only heard a few works. I do own a few recordings of his music: the ballet Orpheus in Town, the PCs, and Symphonies 3 & 6 (on a BIS recording).
That BIS CD is very good.

Sammy

Thanks for the info. on von Koch.  I listened to the BIS disc on NML and have ordered the CD.

vandermolen

Quote from: Sammy on April 24, 2016, 10:45:03 AM
Thanks for the info. on von Koch.  I listened to the BIS disc on NML and have ordered the CD.
Let  us know what you think.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2016, 10:24:32 AM

Koch update?

btw- Oldfield?... really?... (what about that French guy... 'Oxygene'?) Jean-Michel...??...

kyjo

Koch's Impulsi Trilogy was a great recent discovery of mine - it's a thrilling work bursting with energy and potent atmosphere. It almost sounds more American than Scandinavian in places (especially due to its prominent xylophone part), recalling Copland's populist period or Hanson at his most exuberant. Anyone who likes colorful, accessible 20th century orchestral music needs to check this piece out:

I: https://youtu.be/KBv3GHaMT74
II: https://youtu.be/nqqxzdLWLEs
III: https://youtu.be/NZ2FkRfg3sg
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff