John Cage (1912-92)

Started by Lethevich, October 02, 2008, 10:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Tonight, a very fine Cage performance opened the Resonant Bodies Festival, three nights of contemporary vocal music. Julia Bullock began her set with She is Asleep (1943), for voice and prepared piano (from the thuds, sounded like rubber items or putty on the strings). Wordless text, and quite simple and beautiful.

www.resonantbodiesfestival.org

--Bruce

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on September 06, 2016, 03:33:15 PM
Any of my contemporary brethren here celebrating Cage's birthday (well, it was yesterday, but it kicked off what's likely to be a week-long binge)?

I did all the saxophone volumes today; well, ok, I'm on volume 4 right now, and yes, One7 could be a tiny bit shorter, but Four6 could stand to be even a little bit longer. But I've always thought that the "One" pieces usually struggled a bit relative to the other numbers. Ulrich Krieger's timbral variety is astounding, though.

Yesterday I listened to some classic piano stuff and even ventured into a delicious new (to me) Cage work: The City Wears A Slouch Hat. So very different for Cage, and yet, so very Cage. Very intriguing, can't believe I'd never heard it until now.

Mode has 15% off Cage until the 12th... snort snort snort....

Yes, Krieger's whole approach is refreshing. I liked the 'Cartridge Music' too. The 'Sculptures Musicales' were... uh... very Warhol? LOL- the first one sound uncannily like a HD vacuum cleaner... now, I think I get the pieces, but that is some heavy duty grinding there- like the dijidoos... is this what Earle Brown sounds like?

Quote from: arpeggio on September 06, 2016, 03:45:05 PM
I am new here. 

I am not a big fan of Cage's output.  But I have always tried to treat his music and the aficionados of his music with respect.

I have been a member of two other classical music forums that I left because of the animas against contemporary music.

I was invited to join this forum and was informed the atmosphere was much more congenial.

I decided to check out this thread.  As far as I am concerned this is the best thread I have read on John Cage.  There is very little of the Cage bashing I have seen elsewhere.  Even the criticisms I read where very reasoned.

Outstanding.   

Well, you came in here at a good time. If you go back far enough, you'll probably find s dismissive Cage Post of mine, but, as of my return to this Thread, it's been all Lickedy Split Research Time. I've uncovered all the Cage I like, and all the Cage I can stay away from!

I'm sure there's even about four minutes worth of Cage that even James likes!! :-*

I await the 'Freeman Etudes'... MY LAST PURCHASE EVER!!!!

(My point being- you will HAVE to visist out CDCDCD Thread... just Search CDCDCD)

bhodges

Quote from: arpeggio on September 06, 2016, 03:45:05 PM
I am new here. 

I am not a big fan of Cage's output.  But I have always tried to treat his music and the aficionados of his music with respect.

I have been a member of two other classical music forums that I left because of the animas against contemporary music.

I was invited to join this forum and was informed the atmosphere was much more congenial.

I decided to check out this thread.  As far as I am concerned this is the best thread I have read on John Cage.  There is very little of the Cage bashing I have seen elsewhere.  Even the criticisms I read where very reasoned.

Outstanding.

Glad to hear all of this. And hope you feel comfortable discussing new music, old music, and everything in between.

--Bruce

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on September 06, 2016, 03:33:15 PM
Any of my contemporary brethren here celebrating Cage's birthday (well, it was yesterday, but it kicked off what's likely to be a week-long binge)?

I did all the saxophone volumes today; well, ok, I'm on volume 4 right now, and yes, One7 could be a tiny bit shorter, but Four6 could stand to be even a little bit longer. But I've always thought that the "One" pieces usually struggled a bit relative to the other numbers. Ulrich Krieger's timbral variety is astounding, though.

Yesterday I listened to some classic piano stuff and even ventured into a delicious new (to me) Cage work: The City Wears A Slouch Hat. So very different for Cage, and yet, so very Cage. Very intriguing, can't believe I'd never heard it until now.

Listening again to 'Four6' from 'A CAGE of Saxophones Vols.3/4',... it really sounds like 'Imaginary Landscapes' territory... like he came full circle.

Still waiting on Fusi's 'Freeman Etudes Vol.1'...

snyprrr

Quote from: jessop on September 06, 2016, 04:06:03 PM
Welcome to GMG my bassoon playing friend! (Is that you?) ;D

I hope you are an avid fan of the composition entitled 'Seventeen' which is by far the most innovative and meaningful piece of 'music' Cage ever 'composed!' I am a big fan of it! 8)
[/quote

What is this 'Seventeen' you speak of? I see 'Seven2', and the Ensemble Avantgarde on MDG render 'Music for ____' as 'Music for Seventeen', but, at the Cage site, there is no 'Seventeen' proper. Is it the the MDG?

nathanb

Wikipedia also does not know of Seventeen:

"No score known. Mentioned by Cage in an interview; possibly a mistake on his part. See Sixteen."

Silly COAG.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

'Seventeen' is the most avant garde piece of Cage's oeuvre in that it doesn't even exist. Even after 4'33" he outdid himself with this one. It took him a few decades, but there is no denying that 'Seventeen' is the most profound statement in the existentialism and definition of music in the history of humankind. 8)

nathanb

Quote from: jessop on September 13, 2016, 07:53:28 PM
'Seventeen' is the most avant garde piece of Cage's oeuvre in that it doesn't even exist. Even after 4'33" he outdid himself with this one. It took him a few decades, but there is no denying that 'Seventeen' is the most profound statement in the existentialism and definition of music in the history of humankind. 8)

Even here, you gotta be clear when you're just making an obscure joke, bro ;)

Karl Henning

Or, especially here . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Cage's last decade might be my favorite period of his music, and we are blessed with many recordings of the number pieces.  Since there are a many possible ways to realize these works, the more recordings there are the better.

:)

snyprrr

Quote from: jessop on September 13, 2016, 07:53:28 PM

LOL, I'm having you reported for making me "scurry", haha,... btw- 'Seventeen' ISN'T on that MDG disc, it's on the Mosko/Newport disc, with the 'Quartets I-VIII'... 'Music for Seventeen'...

Quote from: karlhenning on September 14, 2016, 06:02:35 AM
Or, especially here . . . .

I'm reporting him for making me fact check!!

@PowerThrough

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: sanantonio on September 14, 2016, 06:06:23 AM
Cage's last decade might be my favorite period of his music, and we are blessed with many recordings of the number pieces.  Since there are a many possible ways to realize these works, the more recordings there are the better.

:)
Absolutely agree! The Number Pieces are some of my favourite compositions of that time period as well. Cage wrote some masterful late works!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: snyprrr on September 14, 2016, 08:14:03 AM
LOL, I'm having you reported for making me "scurry", haha,... btw- 'Seventeen' ISN'T on that MDG disc, it's on the Mosko/Newport disc, with the 'Quartets I-VIII'... 'Music for Seventeen'...

I'm reporting him for making me fact check!!

@PowerThrough

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

nathanb

Sometimes I wonder how COAG will regard his posts 10 years down the road.

snyprrr

Finally got Vol.1 of Marco Fusi's 'Freeman Etudes' (Stradivarius). Oh, such a wonderful sound! Most of us have only known Arditti's very brightly lit and furiously visceral interpretations, but here Fusi does the same magic in a completely more refined sounding way. And the recording is absolutely perfect. The playing is so smooth, the tone so tempered... I would really need someone else's words here.

If you like AvantGarde Violin, I don't see how you can't like this.

And yes, they are as random and anonymous as the 'Etudes Australes', but, with the violin, one hears more the SuperHumanism going on, the Olympic.

I only have the first two books, am awaiting 3-4, where I expect the fireworks really take off.

nathanb

Quote from: snyprrr on September 26, 2016, 06:53:06 AM
Finally got Vol.1 of Marco Fusi's 'Freeman Etudes' (Stradivarius). Oh, such a wonderful sound! Most of us have only known Arditti's very brightly lit and furiously visceral interpretations, but here Fusi does the same magic in a completely more refined sounding way. And the recording is absolutely perfect. The playing is so smooth, the tone so tempered... I would really need someone else's words here.

If you like AvantGarde Violin, I don't see how you can't like this.

And yes, they are as random and anonymous as the 'Etudes Australes', but, with the violin, one hears more the SuperHumanism going on, the Olympic.

I only have the first two books, am awaiting 3-4, where I expect the fireworks really take off.

I suppose I could agree that the Freeman Etudes are higher on my "Masterworks Scale" than the Etudes Australes.

Mandryka

Have started to explore this recording of The Song Books, a lateie and a goodie. Sometimes it makes me think of Nono, the timbres I suppose, and the tempos. I like late Cage.

Anyone know anything about the music. Snyprr avoid as it includes the sound of the singer pissing into a bucket I think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on September 26, 2016, 08:33:44 AM
Snyprr avoid as it includes the sound of the singer pissing into a bucket I think.

Oh, that's definitely foley  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Mandryka

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on November 18, 2016, 10:26:52 PM
What are some of the best Cage releases to get? Particularly multiple CD sets  ;)

It's the sets which make this hard. See what you think of the 1958 retrospective concerts somewhere in New York, there are about half a dozen CDs.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen