John Cage (1912-92)

Started by Lethevich, October 02, 2008, 10:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: petrarch on April 19, 2014, 05:32:36 AM
Wonderful book on John Cage. It is a great complement to James Pritchett's.

[asin]0143123475[/asin]

looks good, thanks for the post.

torut

New albums of John Cage's music keep being released. I am particularly interested in these albums because I like String Quartet in Four Parts a lot. Although I prefer the original string quartet version, these are interesting and nice.

In Four Parts (2014)
Patrick Pulsinger, modular synthesizer
Christian Fennesz, guitar, electronics

Whole album can be listened to at Col Legno site. This is not an arrangement, but rather a piece inspired by Cage's orignal.

[asin]B00FQ0W8Y0[/asin]

String Quartet In Four Parts (2013)
Noël Akchoté, electric guitars
bandcamp

https://www.youtube.com/v/TqaEaeYc32s

San Antone

Quote from: torut on April 19, 2014, 07:52:33 PM
New albums of John Cage's music keep being released. I am particularly interested in these albums because I like String Quartet in Four Parts a lot. Although I prefer the original string quartet version, these are interesting and nice.

In Four Parts (2014)

Whole album can be listened to at Col Legno site. This is not an arrangement, but rather a piece inspired by Cage's orignal.

[asin]B00FQ0W8Y0[/asin]

bandcamp

fantastic - thanks.  Cage's music lends itself to endless reinterpretation often with results that are nothing like previous performances/recordings.

Karl Henning

Quote from: petrarch on April 19, 2014, 05:32:36 AM
Wonderful book on John Cage. It is a great complement to James Pritchett's.

[asin]0143123475[/asin]

Much enjoying the sample of this on my Kindle, the occasional imperfection notwithstanding.  I shall certainly plunge on and read the entire book.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

bandcamp

Very nice . . . made me think of some of the tracks on the Robt Fripp/Andy Summers album, I Advance Masked.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on April 21, 2014, 06:40:31 AM
made me think of some of the tracks on the Robt Fripp/Andy Summers album, I Advance Masked.

Now, that's a cool album. 8)

petrarch

Quote from: James on April 21, 2014, 06:21:12 AM
... when asked about Zen, the Zen-master simply raised his finger & responded with silence.

How to entirely miss the point, a lecture by James, soon in a pulpit near you.

As a bonus, the great orator will follow it immediately with another, Insistence: virtue or flaw? The 10,000 ways to beat a dead horse... and then more, for those still in attendance.

I can assure you, it's all very Cageian:

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight.
Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all."

-- John Cage
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

EigenUser

Does anyone know how Cage came up with the number 4'33''? Surely someone has asked him this in an interview somewhere.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

petrarch

Quote from: EigenUser on April 26, 2014, 02:16:36 PM
Does anyone know how Cage came up with the number 4'33''? Surely someone has asked him this in an interview somewhere.

Chance, casting the I Ching coins for each of the three movements.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on April 21, 2014, 05:08:12 PM
How to entirely miss the point, a lecture by James, soon in a pulpit near you.

As a bonus, the great orator will follow it immediately with another, Insistence: virtue or flaw? The 10,000 ways to beat a dead horse... and then more, for those still in attendance.

I can assure you, it's all very Cageian:

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight.
Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all."

-- John Cage

You'll come around petty.... yooou'll come around

bwa-ha >:D

bwa- ha ha >:D >:D

bwa-hahahahaha >:D >:D >:D

The trouble with people is that they just don't take the concept of HELL seriously!! ???

... shall I... continue? (opens ancient tome)

petrarch

In Four Parts (2014)

[asin]B00FQ0W8Y0[/asin]

Got this last week. It is very good.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

torut

Quote from: petrarch on May 03, 2014, 06:29:19 AM
Got this last week. It is very good.
I am glad that you like it. I heard the whole album twice at the label's site and I am going to purchase it. (I feel guilty. :))

torut

This is a re-post because I posted it in an irrelevant thread. I am interested in this album (to be released on May 13) because I have only one recording of the work in The 25-Year Retrospective Concert of the music of John Cage, which contains only Sonatas I-VIII & two Interludes, and the sound recorded in 1958 is a bit dated.

[asin]B00IGJP3HM[/asin]

There are so many recordings of Sonatas and Interludes: Tilbury, Berman, MacGregor, Tenney, Pescia, Schleiermacher, Takahashi, etc. If I want a recording of the complete work with good recording quality, which would be recommendable?

petrarch

Quote from: torut on May 03, 2014, 09:37:04 PM
There are so many recordings of Sonatas and Interludes: Tilbury, Berman, MacGregor, Tenney, Pescia, Schleiermacher, Takahashi, etc. If I want a recording of the complete work with good recording quality, which would be recommendable?

This:

[asin]B000000NZ3[/asin]

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

torut

San Antone

Quote from: torut on May 03, 2014, 09:37:04 PM
This is a re-post because I posted it in an irrelevant thread. I am interested in this album (to be released on May 13) because I have only one recording of the work in The 25-Year Retrospective Concert of the music of John Cage, which contains only Sonatas I-VIII & two Interludes, and the sound recorded in 1958 is a bit dated.

[asin]B00IGJP3HM[/asin]

Part of the essence of these works is that since each piano is different, and each setup is a little different, the works can sound very different from performance to performance.  It is the kind of work for which there is no "one" reference; and the more different versions you hear/have the better.

7/4

Quote from: sanantonio on May 04, 2014, 08:21:28 AM
Part of the essence of these works is that since each piano is different, and each setup is a little different, the works can sound very different from performance to performance.  It is the kind of work for which there is no "one" reference; and the more different versions you hear/have the better.

I resemble that remark. I have a small pile of recordings of this piece.  :laugh:

torut

Quote from: sanantonio on May 04, 2014, 08:21:28 AM
Yes, the impression I had when I heard the Vandré's recording was very different from that of Ajemian's. Now I want to hear other recordings too. :)
I watched a video of preparing a piano. The instruction is very detailed, and it takes 1~2 hours. Cage's original intention was to reproduce the same sounds, but he realized it is not possible.

John Cage, 1972, as a foreword for Richard Bunger's The Well-Prepared Piano.
QuoteWhen I first placed objects between piano strings, it was with the desire to possess sounds (to be able to repeat then). But, as the music left my home and went from piano to piano and from pianist to pianist, it became clear that not only are two pianists essentially different from one another, but two pianos are not the same either. Instead of the possibility of repetition, we are faced in life with the unique qualities and characteristics of each occasion.

Octave

Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole