Pierre Moulu (1484-1560)

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, April 13, 2020, 02:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Was a Franco-flemish composer , active in Paris France, he left us
.5 missa one available trought hyperion Brabant ensemble
.26 motets
.9 songs

He has only being recorded by Brabant ensemble and a naxos CD A-LA-MI-RE manuscript, is there more to Pierre Moulu , he is cruelly neglected by ensemble nothing available beside these recordings.

vers la flamme

Quote from: deprofundis on April 13, 2020, 02:37:57 PM
.5 missa one available trought hyperion Brabant ensemble
.26 motets
.9 songs

Wow, with only half a mass and just over a quarter of a motet, it sure is a good thing for his reputation that Moulu almost finished that song!

Alright, dumb joke over. ;D I've heard nothing of this composer. Would you recommend checking out that Hyperion recording? Sounds like not much else is out there...?

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 13, 2020, 03:29:44 PM
Wow, with only half a mass and just over a quarter of a motet, it sure is a good thing for his reputation that Moulu almost finished that song!

Alright, dumb joke over. ;D I've heard nothing of this composer. Would you recommend checking out that Hyperion recording? Sounds like not much else is out there...?

Yah check it out , it's a great album on Hyperion the only full length of Moulu I,m aware of and it's fabuleous

T. D.

Quote from: deprofundis on April 13, 2020, 04:23:01 PM
Yah check it out , it's a great album on Hyperion the only full length of Moulu I,m aware of and it's fabuleous

I considered purchasing that album because it got excellent reviews from sources I trust...but sadly I never got around to it, probably lost focus and forgot.

San Antone

There are many more works for this composer than have been mentioned:

Of Moulu's music, five masses survive, the most famous being his mass on the Marian antiphon Alma Redemptoris Mater, which can be sung in two different manners: with or without rests longer than a quarter. The latest discovery is the mass Paranymphus, based on a motet by Loyset Compère. In addition to the masses, Moulu wrote motets and chansons, some of which are of doubtful authorship (Mouton and Josquin are also suggested as the composer for several of these pieces).
Masses

Missa Alma Redemptoris mater, 4vv
    Missa Missus est Gabriel angelus (based on the motet by Josquin), 4vv
    Missa Mittit ad virginem, 4vv
    Missa Paranymphus (based on the motet by Compère), 4vv
    Missa Stephane gloriose, 4vv

Motets

Adest nobis dies laetitiae, 4vv;
    Alleluia, Regem ascendentem, 4vv;
    Domine Dominus noster, 4vv; (by Mouton)
    Fiere attropos, 5vv;
    Induta est caro mea, 4vv;
    In hoc ego sperabo, 3vv;
    In illo tempore, 4vv; (probably by Mouton)
    In omni tribulatione, 4vv; (by Mouton)
    In pace, 5vv;
    Mater floreat florescat, 4vv;
    Ne projicias, 6vv;
    Oculi omnium, 3vv;
    O dulcis amica Dei, 5vv;
    Oremus pro conctis, 4vv;
    Quam dilecta, 3vv;
    Quam pulchra es 4vv; (also attributed to Mouton)
    Regina caeli, 4vv;
    Salve Barbara martyr, 7vv;
    Salve regina Barbara, 4vv;
    Sancta Maria, Dei mater, 4vv; (only alt-voice)
    Saule, Saule, quid me persequeris, 4vv; (by Jean le Brung)
    Sicut malus, 3vv;
    Tu licet (same as the 'Crucifixus' from the Missa Alma Redemptoris mater), 2vv;
    Virgo carens criminibus, 4vv; (by Andreas de Silva)
    Vivo ego, 3vv;
    Vulnerasti cor meum, 5vv.

Chansons

Amy souffrez, 3vv; (by Heinrich Isaac)
    Au bois, au bois, madame, 4vv;
    En despit des faux mesdisans, 6vv;
    Et dout venès vous, 3vv;
    Hellas, hellas madame, 4vv;
    J'ay mis mon cueur, 7vv; (probably by Descaudain)
    La rousée de moys de may, 6vv; (by Mouton)
    N'aymés jamais ces gens, 3vv;
    Voicy le may, 4vv.

In addition some works of Moulu have survived without text. For example, as late as 1592, an untexted 3-voice canon appears in Lodovico Zacconi's Prattica de musica under the name 'Pietro Molu'. This canon already appeared in 1503, printed by Petrucci, so Moulu's atrribution is very unlikely.

Mandryka

I have the Stephen Rice CD but I can't remember anything about it. I'll listen again sometime soon.

Quote from: deprofundis on April 13, 2020, 02:37:57 PM

He has only being recorded by Brabant ensemble and a naxos CD A-LA-MI-RE manuscript, is there more to Pierre Moulu , he is cruelly neglected by ensemble nothing available beside these recordings.

The one that many people do is a motet, Mater Floreat. Sei Voci did it in a rather good concert in 2007 - with a Josquin mass and motets by Mouton, Festa, Moulu and Agricola. If anyone wants a concert recording they can PM me.

Egidius Kwartet did Vulnerasti cor meum in the Liedse Koorboeken, it's quite substantial at nearly 10 minutes. And last year Boston Camerata released a very charming recording with three songs, called "Treasures of Devotion"

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen