If you had the chance to ask Mozart to compose something

Started by Leporello, May 17, 2007, 06:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leporello

Hi everyone

Okay, simple question, but a difficult answer.

If you had the chance to ask Mozart to compose something, what should it be?

I think I should aks for a Cello Concerto. There seems to be a lost cello-concerto K206a..., so how interesting should it be to have a new one!

So what do you guys want? Symphony, Divertimento, Concerto, Contradance???  :)
And please no opera, because that's simply too much  ;D

Greetz

Scriptavolant

1) A post-beethovenian string quartet
2) A requiem  >:D

Josquin des Prez

A complete set of prelude and fugues in all 24 keys for string quartet.

A violin concerto (he doesn't have any mature ones).

More chamber music (duh).

More works for wind instrument(s) (clarinet in particular).

BachQ

I'd ask him to complete his Requiem, K. 626, before he consider composing anything new . . . . . . .

DavidW

karlhenning

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Leporello on May 17, 2007, 06:36:20 AM

?

Why not?

Writing opera was a lifelong endeavour for Mozart.

Where's the love in cutting him off from his passion?  8)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Que

Quote from: Leporello on May 17, 2007, 06:36:20 AM

Another opera was also the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title of the thread. :'(

Q

Mozart

The most enjoyable of Wolfie's works are his piano concertos. How about another 22?

Mark G. Simon

Definitely another clarinet concerto. And I would ask him to please retrieve the manuscript of K.622 so we could finally know exactly how that one goes.

Leporello

Quote from: Que on May 17, 2007, 08:08:09 AM
Another opera was also the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title of the thread. :'(

Q

Haha, because I think if you can choose an opera, everybody will do that. And no one will choose a single instrumental work because that's to small...  ::)

Que

Quote from: Leporello on May 17, 2007, 08:53:43 AM
Haha, because I think if you can choose an opera, everybody will do that. And no one will choose a single instrumental work because that's to small...  ::)

Maybe not just that. For me Mozart reached in opera the pinnacle of his abilities, and I feel opera was the genre closest to his heart.

Q

springrite

Quote from: Que on May 17, 2007, 08:56:53 AM
Maybe not just that. For me Mozart reached in opera the pinnacle of his abilities, and I feel opera was the genre closest to his heart.

Absolutely! Listen to Mozart's chamber music, and indeed much of his orchestral works as well, and you hear arias, recitatives, very operatic ideas realized instrumentally.

So I will go with opera, and it would have been great if Mozart were the one to compose the first true German opera (his German language operas are really more Italian in nature.)

Don

Quote from: Leporello on May 17, 2007, 08:53:43 AM

Not at all.  How about a large-scale piano variations works based on the opening theme to the Requiem?

BachQ

Quote from: Mozart on May 17, 2007, 08:15:24 AM
The most enjoyable of Wolfie's works are his piano concertos. How about another 22?

Good point.  Another piano concerto . . . . . . . Only I'd request that Mozart first study the scores to Brahms PC #1 and Rach 3 . . . . . and then go from there . . . . . .

Leporello

Quote from: springrite on May 17, 2007, 08:59:48 AM
So I will go with opera, and it would have been great if Mozart were the one to compose the first true German opera (his German language operas are really more Italian in nature.)

What do you mean??

Mozart

If Mozart wrote an opera today it might be too hollywoodish.  Get ready for Don Giovanni #2 the most awaited sequel of the last 220 years!

Daidalos

I would be quite interested to hear what Mozart would do in a post-Jupiter symphony.
A legible handwriting is sign of a lack of inspiration.