Flute solos

Started by James, May 17, 2007, 08:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on May 21, 2007, 01:52:55 AM
Just an astonishing piece of pure melody.

Well, you try writing a harmonic piece for flute solo  8)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2007, 06:58:27 AM

You CAN play more than one note on the flute at the same time if you combine some creativ fingering, embrochure(sic) and breath control. I used to have a book that my flute teacher made me study...I wasn't good at it though.

karlhenning

Multiphonics are a dicey thing.

Of course, there are ways of writing a single line to suggest more than one voice, e.g.

Bach Man

Listening right now to the Sonata in A minor for solo flute by the inimitable Carl Philip Emmanuel Bach. His employer, Frederic the great, was a flautist, so poor C.P.E had to come up with lots of compositions for flute.

FideLeo

Quote from: Bach Man on May 21, 2007, 08:09:43 AM
Listening right now to the Sonata in A minor for solo flute by the inimitable Carl Philip Emmanuel Bach. His employer, Frederic the great, was a flautist, so poor C.P.E had to come up with lots of compositions for flute.

That is not to say that Frederic the Great himself and his favourite composer, Johann Joachim Quantz, didn't write even more solo and concertante works for flute.  Many of them are quite fine as well.   8)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

The Mad Hatter

*sigh*

What I meant was that I consider that solo to be...I don't know...almost the definition of the word melody. There's no word to describe it for me, so I use melody.

anasazi

But the harmony can be implied by the intervals in the melody.  I see no problem.

karlhenning

Quote from: anasazi on May 22, 2007, 12:59:14 AM
But the harmony can be implied by the intervals in the melody.  I see no problem.

But it is (in a neutral sense) a problem;  I am not saying there are no solutions.

It remains a challenge, to which not all composers rise to an equal degree of success.

Personally, as one who has now written several pieces for clarinet solo, I very much enjoy the challenge.

Joe_Campbell

The flute solo from the 2nd movement of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Major
Debussy's, Prelude in the...., the solo at the end of Nuages from Nocturnes

jochanaan

Quote from: AB68 on May 17, 2007, 03:50:48 PM
The flute solo at the end of the first movement of Shostakovich 10th symphony. For me that's one of the highlights of the entire symphony.
Works better with two piccolos as Shostakovich wrote it. ;)

There's also a long, beautiful flute solo towards the end of the first movement of Mahler's Ninth.  And lots of gorgeous flute writing in "Der Abschied" from Das Lied von der Erde.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

anasazi

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2007, 03:40:16 AM
But it is (in a neutral sense) a problem;  I am not saying there are no solutions.

It remains a challenge, to which not all composers rise to an equal degree of success.

Personally, as one who has now written several pieces for clarinet solo, I very much enjoy the challenge.

Yes, I agree that it is a challenge.  Have you heard Miklos Rozsa's solo sonatas?  There was one for clarinet, one for flute, guitar and violin if I'm remembering rightly.  A couple of these did rise to the challenge.