Luigi Dallapiccola

Started by Guido, October 08, 2008, 12:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amfortas

I just upped a live perf of Dallapiccola's 'Marsia' ballet (1943) in good audio, BBC Phil and Noseda from this year:

http://www.4shared.com/file/-Js3TP8q/Dallapiccola_-_Marsia__complet.html
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

snyprrr

Would anyone like to Totally Convince Me concerning that Erato (Apex)/Zender disc? It's aaaalways been on the radar.

Luke

Quote from: snyprrr on July 22, 2011, 08:38:24 AM
Would anyone like to Totally Convince Me concerning that Erato (Apex)/Zender disc? It's aaaalways been on the radar.

Be Totally Convinced. It contains Dallapiccola's greatest pieces (IMO - the Greek Lyrics) and the couplings are marvellous. It is by far my favourite Dallapiccola disc; in fact, it is one of my favourite discs of anything.

snyprrr

Quote from: Luke on July 23, 2011, 06:04:45 AM
Be Totally Convinced. It contains Dallapiccola's greatest pieces (IMO - the Greek Lyrics) and the couplings are marvellous. It is by far my favourite Dallapiccola disc; in fact, it is one of my favourite discs of anything.

Uncle,... Uncle!! I surrender!!

The only problem I'm having is that I'm addicted to original issues, and this one is currently more expensive than the Apex re-issue. Ahh,... you should all have my problems, haha!!

mjwal

For those wonderful Greek Lyrics there's a beautiful alternative version by Elisabeth Söderström here, among a lot more vintage Dallapiccola:
http://highponytail.blogspot.com/search/label/Dallapiccola
Thanks a lot for the Marsia link, Amfortas.
Apart from warmly endorsing all these Dallapiccola recommendations, I'd like to plug the most insightful book on opera I have ever read:
Dallapiccola On Opera Toccata press. You can find this at a low price secondhand on Amazon.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

snyprrr

Quote from: mjwal on July 23, 2011, 07:18:54 AM
For those wonderful Greek Lyrics there's a beautiful alternative version by Elisabeth Söderström here, among a lot more vintage Dallapiccola:
http://highponytail.blogspot.com/search/label/Dallapiccola
Apart from warmly endorsing all these Dallapiccola recommendations, I'd like to plug the most insightful book on opera I have ever read:
Dallapiccola On Opera Toccata press. You can find this at a low price secondhand on Amazon.

I hear they make good pasta too!! ;) ;D Huh!

Amfortas

Quote from: mjwal on July 23, 2011, 07:18:54 AM

You're welcome  :)
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

snyprrr

Quote from: Luke on July 23, 2011, 06:04:45 AM

Finally got that Zender/Erato=Apex disc!

I REALLY liked the Canti di Prigionia, just perfect, austere music. The rest of the cd seems to go by pretty quickly. Some definitely reminds me of Xenakis in Greek-mode (Tempus destruendi-). There is a very 'clean' feeling here, very white and pure.

I'm putting it next to the Stravinsky 'Sacred Works' 2cd/Sony. Along with recent Penderecki acquisitions, I've satisfied my thoroughly-uninterested-in-choir-music itch, with choices that I can actually perhaps grow with. I'm still having difficulty with the classical world's interpretation of vibrato (bass solos and such), but I try to imagine the works as sung by angels.

springrite

Here is the track listing forthe Zender CD:

1. Canti Di Prigionia 
2. Cinque Frammenti Di Saffo 
3. Due Liriche Di Anacreonte 
4. Sex Carmina Alcaei 
5. Tempus Destruendi - Tempus Aedificandi 
6. Due Cori Di Michelangelo Buonarroti Il Giovane 

Which one is the Greek Lyrics? Track 2-6?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

snyprrr

Quote from: springrite on November 22, 2011, 06:50:25 AM

1. Canti Di Prigionia 
4. Sex Carmina Alcaei 

No.5 there is the one I thought sounded like Xenakis. 5-6 are solo choir. 2-4 went by so quick, and I haven't listened again yet, but... what were you asking? :-[ ;D

Luke

1. Canti Di Prigionia 
4. Sex Carmina Alcaei 

Almost - tracks 2-4. Incredible stuff.

Dundonnell

No one apears to have mentioned Dallapiccola's major choral work-

Canti di Liberazione(1951-55) for chorus and orchestra

I believe that it is currently unavailable on cd?

I would appear to have a recording with the Swedish Radio Symphony Chorus and Orchestra conducted by Sixten Ehrling.

not edward

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 23, 2011, 03:17:46 PM
No one apears to have mentioned Dallapiccola's major choral work-

Canti di Liberazione(1951-55) for chorus and orchestra

I believe that it is currently unavailable on cd?

I would appear to have a recording with the Swedish Radio Symphony Chorus and Orchestra conducted by Sixten Ehrling.
There used to be an EMI recording with Ingo Metzmacher, coupled with Karl Amadeus Hartmann's Miserae and Gesangszene, but I imagine it's disappeared into the black void of the deletion list by now.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

PaulSC

Quote from: edward on November 24, 2011, 03:03:08 PM
There used to be an EMI recording with Ingo Metzmacher, coupled with Karl Amadeus Hartmann's Miserae and Gesangszene, but I imagine it's disappeared into the black void of the deletion list by now.
A live recording with Leon Botstein directing the American Symphony Orchestra and Concert Chorale of New York is available in MP3 format at Amazon:

http://amzn.com/B004TQ05S8

(I don't know the recording — or the piece, for that matter.)
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

snyprrr

I can't believe none of these Threads have been active. :o

snyprrr

1. Canti Di Prigionia 
4. Sex Carmina Alcaei 

Again, a great disc.

Karl Henning

Agreed. Time I revisited it . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on June 27, 2013, 03:57:13 AM
Agreed. Time I revisited it . . . .

Do you have any other Orchestral Dallapiccola (Chandos)? Haven't heard them, but all Dallapiccola has a nobility to it. Question with 2 Answers fits the bill, granitic nobility, spare.

Karl Henning

Two volumes, including the one with that very piece; I do remember thinking highly of it.

It's in my queue to-day!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Three Questions with Two Answers. Yes, I remember that works well and remember clearly how, upon first hearing, I was confused since I thought I heard 2 questions and three answers!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.