Barenboim

Started by Michel, May 17, 2007, 11:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

What recordings should one get of his?

I've just recieved his acclaimed Beethoven symphony cycle and boy, it is great. I've always seemed to like Staatskapelle, but the recordings are brillient; big juicy and luschious, with an amazing sense of detail.

Barenboim has always reminded me of Furtwangler with his masterful control, attention to the detail (as well as capacity to understand the whole), and an ability to make the music have a message.

I am right now listening to Beethoven 7 and it really echos Furtwangler to me, but possibly better. Fantastic!

Is his Bruckner any good? What else?

Bunny

Try his Mahler.

He also is an amazing Schubert conductor, but I don't if he has recorded any.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Bunny on May 17, 2007, 11:42:20 AM
Try his Mahler.

He also is an amazing Schubert conductor, but I don't if he has recorded any.

You don't seriously think he would leave Schubert untouched did you ?

BorisG

Quote from: Michel on May 17, 2007, 11:23:54 AM
What recordings should one get of his?

I've just recieved his acclaimed Beethoven symphony cycle and boy, it is great. I've always seemed to like Staatskapelle, but the recordings are brillient; big juicy and luschious, with an amazing sense of detail.

Barenboim has always reminded me of Furtwangler with his masterful control, attention to the detail (as well as capacity to understand the whole), and an ability to make the music have a message.

I am right now listening to Beethoven 7 and it really echos Furtwangler to me, but possibly better. Fantastic!

Is his Bruckner any good? What else?

The Furtwangler influence is no coincidence.

Warner sets - Beethoven, Schumann, Bruckner symphonies, and Mozart piano concerti. EMI sets - Mozart and Beethoven piano sonatas.

Todd

Get his recent Schumann symphony cycle as soon as possible.  It's an amazing set, and I can't think of a better one.  

His recent DVD LvB sonata cycle is his best of his three in that repertoire, and his earlier Mozart PC set (EMI) is good, provided you like a more romantic take.  His Mahler 7 is superb, his Mahler 9 a bit less so.  His Parsifal is well worth considering, too.  
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Michel

Quote from: BorisG on May 17, 2007, 12:39:44 PM
The Furtwangler influence is no coincidence.

What do you mean?

Michel

Quote from: Todd on May 17, 2007, 12:41:16 PM
Get his recent Schumann symphony cycle as soon as possible.  It's an amazing set, and I can't think of a better one. 

His recent DVD LvB sonata cycle is his best of his three in that repertoire, and his earlier Mozart PC set (EMI) is good, provided you like a more romantic take.  His Mahler 7 is superb, his Mahler 9 a bit less so.  His Parsifal is well worth considering, too. 

Todd, you naughty boy. Any mention of Parsifal anywhere usually leads to money leaving my account sharpish. I have seen some of the clips on youtube - certainly looked like a very cool and impressive production!

It is also naughty you mention Schumann; I only just bought Szell's, argh!

I have been looking to get all of Mozart's PC's for a while, at present I only have a sporadic number of the latter ones, by a mixture of older pianists, such  as Curzon, Fischer, etc, particularly on the great pianists collection.

Incidently, I have Parsifal on in the background right now, too, Knappertsbusch, from 51. Hence why it was dangerous for you to mention it; the passions will run free and I will get another version....

BorisG

Quote from: Michel on May 17, 2007, 12:42:29 PM
What do you mean?

He admires Furtwangler's conducting more than any other.

Michel

Quote from: BorisG on May 17, 2007, 12:53:52 PM
He admires Furtwangler's conducting more than any other.

I had hoped for a little more information! But nevermind, I do have google.

BorisG

Quote from: Michel on May 17, 2007, 12:54:33 PM
I had hoped for a little more information! But nevermind, I do have google.

Lucky guy.

Michel

Todd

Quote from: Michel on May 17, 2007, 12:46:07 PMIt is also naughty you mention Schumann; I only just bought Szell's, argh!

Szell is superb.  Barenboim is better.  Buy now.

Same for Parsifal.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mark

Some say that Barenboim's Chopin Nocturnes are best avoided. I have them and enjoy them a great deal. I also have his Beethoven Symphonies, but I don't enjoy these quite as much as, say, Abbado's (VPO and BPO sets), Sanderling's, Haitink's or Blomstedt's. Having said this, Barenboim does make something rather special of Symphonies Nos. 7 and 8.

Michel

Quote from: Mark on May 17, 2007, 01:41:34 PM
Some say that Barenboim's Chopin Nocturnes are best avoided. I have them and enjoy them a great deal. I also have his Beethoven Symphonies, but I don't enjoy these quite as much as, say, Abbado's (VPO and BPO sets), Sanderling's, Haitink's or Blomstedt's. Having said this, Barenboim does make something rather special of Symphonies Nos. 7 and 8.

There are so many brilliant nocturne recordings, like a lot of Chopin from the historic pianists, that it is bizarre to recommend Barenboim.

Don

Quote from: Michel on May 17, 2007, 01:51:17 PM
There are so many brilliant nocturne recordings, like a lot of Chopin from the historic pianists, that it is bizarre to recommend Barenboim.

I once saw a small child coughing up chicken feathers out of his mouth, a deservedly bizarre event.  Mark liking Barenboim's Chopin Nocturnes is far from bizarre.

Don

FWIW, I find Barenboim's Chopin recordings of little reward.

Michel

Let me be more constructive, then.

If anyone reads Mark's post, do not get Barenboim's Nocturnes, they are not worth the money (unless you are keen to hear a load of recordings, good and bad) -- there are lots out there that are much better! In particular, I would recommend Rubinstein's in mono :)

Michel

Quote from: Todd on May 17, 2007, 01:33:31 PM

Szell is superb.  Barenboim is better.  Buy now.

Same for Parsifal.

Argh!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

orbital

Quote from: Don on May 17, 2007, 02:04:02 PM
Mark liking Barenboim's Chopin Nocturnes is far from bizarre.
With this:

it might be a different story perhaps?

Mark

Quote from: orbital on May 17, 2007, 02:16:53 PM
With this:

it might be a different story perhaps?

Recently heard a bit of this ... and promptly struck it from my Amazon Wish List. ;D