Zdenek Fibich - A Lesser-Known But Worthy Czech Composer

Started by Superhorn, October 14, 2008, 08:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 03, 2021, 09:32:31 AM
Hi PD - thanks, but already gave Google Images a try w/ a cropped image - came up w/ just one hit, i.e. the cover art from the CD - need someone w/ the booklet I guess who could find the answer?  As to only 10 CDs, Fibich was a good composer and one can only wonder what more of interest he might have composed if he had lived another 10-20 years or so?  Dave :)
I was just teasing you as you guys seem to have a gazillion CDs with always more on the way!   ;)  And, yes, I do like what I've heard of his music.  :)  Would like to get more of it but am minding my budget.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 03, 2021, 09:39:13 AM
I was just teasing you as you guys seem to have a gazillion CDs with always more on the way!   ;)  And, yes, I do like what I've heard of his music.  :)  Would like to get more of it but am minding my budget.

PD

+1 PD - well, not a lot more on Fibich looking over Amazon - Spotify seems more rewarding, especially w/ his piano music - may start on that playlist this afternoon?  Dave :)

Roasted Swan

For those interested, this disc

is this month's FREE download (FLAC or 320 mp3) from Naxos.com.  Worth signing up to their free monthly newsletters just to get these downloads.  Not heard it yet but glad to add it to my library FOC......

SonicMan46

Well, some activity last year - now going through my Fibich collection of about 8 discs or so - own the two below on his piano works, single discs each w/ William Howard recording 40 pieces and Radoslav Kvapil 24 pieces - as quoted, in the 1890s, he composed nearly 400 short piano works most under the title of Moods, Impressions, Reminiscences (like 376) as a kind of musical diary for his love of a piano student, 18 years his junior (her name was Anežka Schulzová, 1868-1905; photo below) - must of been a 'hot' romance from the description in the attached reviews; these are gathered into 4 Opus Numbers (41,44,47,57), along w/ Op. 56 Studies of Paintings; also attached is a comparison of the pieces on the two recordings; Howard records 40 works all from Op. 41, while Kvapil performs 24 from all of the Opus numbers - there are 8 duplications in the 64 total.  Dave :)

Quote........and a large cycle (almost 400 pieces, from the 1890s) of piano works called Moods, Impressions, and Reminiscences. The piano cycle served as a diary of sorts of his love for a piano pupil, and one of the pieces formed the basis for the short instrumental work Poème, for which Fibich is best remembered today. (Source)

Symphonic Addict

A formidable introduction to Fibich's orchestral music is the CD above. The Fall of Arkona Overture is playing now and I consider it to be a superb piece that could be a most tremendous concert opener if given the opportunity. The coruscating ending with the organ is quite thrilling. Recommended for any fans of this substantial composer.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 15, 2022, 04:49:19 PM

A formidable introduction to Fibich's orchestral music is the CD above. The Fall of Arkona Overture is playing now and I consider it to be a superb piece that could be a most tremendous concert opener if given the opportunity. The coruscating ending with the organ is quite thrilling. Recommended for any fans of this substantial composer.

Nice, I should check these works out! Are you familiar at all with his chamber output?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 15, 2022, 06:41:05 PM
Nice, I should check these works out! Are you familiar at all with his chamber output?

His string quartets are the only chamber works I've listened to so far and they're good, especially the one in G major with its unmistakable rustic flavour.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 15, 2022, 08:14:16 PM
His string quartets are the only chamber works I've listened to so far and they're good, especially the one in G major with its unmistakable rustic flavour.

Good to know, Cesar. Despite his relatively short life, he was quite prolific in most forms.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff