Max Bruch

Started by tjguitar, May 17, 2007, 03:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Bruch. Symphony no.2.

A contrast of mood set against a change in orchestral colour rather than tempo. When a composer writes Allegro ma non troppo, it's open to a wide range of interpretation. James Conlon appears absolutely clear in his mind regarding the quality of the music, and how he wanted it played , particularly in matters of tempo, which, with instrumental balance, can make or break 19th century German orchestral repertoire.

Great artists are usually pretty uniformly great; good ones pretty uniformly good and great maybe once or twice in their lives if they get lucky. Artists who produce a good number of great works, as Bruch did, scraping the bottom edge of genius, and a good number of mediocre ones, are very uncommon. Bruch was a master of the Adagio. Bruch,who lived from 1838 to 1920, quite a long and productive life, and only the first violin concerto is performed with any frequency. I seem to like everything Bruch wrote. I adore the violin concertos along with the Scottish Fantasy. Bruch's slow movements are swarming with the lyricism of Schumann and Brahms.

I LOVE the 2nd movement of his Second Symphony in f minor. IMHO the symphonies may rank with the very greatest ever written, but who cares ? On their own terms, they're appealingly melodious, lively and straightforward works, in the Mendelssohian tradition. They're a sort of more robust and heavily scored Mendelssohn, but with Bruch's own distinctive personal stamp. Of the many works by Last night I listened to my excellent two CD set of the three symphonies of Max Bruch,with James Conlon and the Gurzennich orchestra of Cologne. These are delightful works. Why aren't they ever performed live ? The liner notes say that they were performed widely in Europe during Bruch's day, roughly the second half of the 19th century. But somehow, they vanished altogether from the repertoire, except for a handful of recent recordings.

snyprrr

All I know is the Violin Concerto everyone programmes with Mendelssohn. What's the skinny on Bruch? He seems kind of "Gothic"?

Brian

snyprrr - apparently his choral music good, but so far all I've fallen in love with has been the chamber music, particularly this fantastic CD:

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 17, 2007, 06:00:48 PM
String Octet, Quintet, & Piano Quintet - excellent CPO label - almost 80 mins. of wonderful chamber music!

snyprrr

Quote from: Brian on June 17, 2014, 06:59:54 AM
snyprrr - apparently his choral music good, but so far all I've fallen in love with has been the chamber music, particularly this fantastic CD:

Yes, I saw your Post. Looks like a typically wonderful CPO! Is he mostly Major, or Minor?

Pat B

Quote from: Brian on June 17, 2014, 06:59:54 AM
so far all I've fallen in love with has been the chamber music

I have figured it out! Brian:Bruch VC1::Pat B:Brahms VC

Scottish Fantasy and Kol Nidrei seem to be his next-most-popular works -- but I've only heard those and the three VCs. I wishlisted that cpo chamber disc.

mahler10th

;D
Suddenly I have taken an interest in Bruch, the result of hearing Litton and the Bergers accompany Benedetti in the first Violin Concerto (recorded live by the BBC early last year).  I have also taken a sudden interest in Benedetti as an outstanding virtuoso violinist for the same reason.  She did the same Bruch concerto with Belohlavek and the BBCSO at the last night of the Proms 2012, but despite the wonders of that performance, she outshone herself in Bergen, and trounced every other released performance I've made a point of listening to since...  Anyway...er...I forgot what more I was going to say on the matter...   :-[

Moonfish

I watched and listened to Hilary Hahn performing Bruch's Violin Concerto #1 last night and it was mesmerizing. I find her playing outstanding, but I'm a bit biased. Besides, there is a reason why Bruch's VC #1 belongs in the realm of popular concertos in the repertoire. I wish that Hahn was recording more of her performances.

https://www.youtube.com/v/KDJ6Wbzgy3E
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SymphonicAddict

Count me as another fan of that gem. His other concertante works should be better known, though. The 2 other VCs are as good or even better as the most famous 1st one. In Memoriam Op. 65 is especially good, so is the Scottish Fantasy.

Moonfish

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 17, 2019, 02:39:11 PM
Count me as another fan of that gem. His other concertante works should be better known, though. The 2 other VCs are as good or even better as the most famous 1st one. In Memoriam Op. 65 is especially good, so is the Scottish Fantasy.

Yes, I get a sense of that his works are underperformed. I was hoping to listen to some of the chamber works as well.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

San Antone

A chamber work of his I like is the Eight Pieces for Clarinet, Viola and Piano, op. 83.  It can be found in a good recording (2015), along with some of Bruch's other chamber works, on RCA Red Seal:

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Moonfish on October 17, 2019, 03:06:08 PM
Yes, I get a sense of that his works are underperformed. I was hoping to listen to some of the chamber works as well.

As San Antone recommended, the 8 pieces for clarinet, viola and piano deserve several listens. In addition, this CD is wonderful:

The String Octet is the jewel on the crown. Bruch at his best.

schnittkease

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 17, 2019, 03:47:19 PM

The String Octet is the jewel on the crown. Bruch at his best.

Do you know how the octet/quintet performances compare to the Nash Ensemble on Hyperion?

kyjo

Oddly enough, I've never quite liked the ever-popular 1st VC and think there are better Romantic VCs out there that aren't played nearly as often (Goldmark, Karlowicz, Rontgen, etc.). I prefer the 3rd VC and the Scottish Fantasy. I also enjoy the Eight Pieces for clarinet/viola/piano and remember liking the 3rd Symphony and Suite on Russian Themes. I must listen to the Octet which I haven't heard thus far. My favorite Bruch work of all, without a doubt, is the Concerto for Two Pianos. What a stunning work (in the chocolatey, dark key of A-flat minor!), completely inspired from beginning to end. I'm shocked it's not much better known. The scintillating recording by Katia and Marielle Labèque is required listening for anyone!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: schnittkease on October 17, 2019, 05:53:44 PM
Do you know how the octet/quintet performances compare to the Nash Ensemble on Hyperion?

No, I don't. I only have the cpo recording. The sound quality and performance on that CD is just lush and intense, quite fitting my tastes!

aukhawk

The composition dates trouble me.  This music post-dates The Rite of Spring by several years, and yet vividly recalls the world of Brahms and Mendelssohn as though the rest had never happened.  As a dinosaur myself and proud of it, I know how easy it is to lose credibility if you don't keep up, and I guess that is what has happened in the case of Max Bruch.

Jo498

Bruch was staunchly conservative. AFAIR he supposedly called Richard Strauss' music "musical social democracy" (apparently a scathing dismissal). But I also think that the chamber music on the cpo disc is very attractive and at least as good as the better known Bruch, such as the 1st violin concerto, Scottish Fantasy or the double for clarinet/viola.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on October 18, 2019, 01:46:32 AM
Bruch was staunchly conservative. AFAIR he supposedly called Richard Strauss' music "musical social democracy" (apparently a scathing dismissal).

He was not alone.

Prokofiev recalled that even the most innocent musical innovations drove the conservative Lyadov crazy. "Shoving his hands in his pockets and rocking in his soft woollen shoes without heels, he would say, 'I don't understand why you are studying with me. Go to Richard Strauss. Go to Debussy.' This was said in a tone that meant 'Go to the devil!'"[2]

In 1908, by the age of 54, Moszkowski had already become a recluse as he began to suffer from poor health. His popularity began to fade and his career slowly went into decline. He stopped taking composition pupils because "they wanted to write like artistic madmen such as Scriabin, Schoenberg, Debussy, Satie ...".[4]

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aukhawk

I have to hastily correct myself, since by co-incidence the CPO disc fell through my letterbox this morning (used, costing next to nothing) and I've had time to rip it and listen to the Octet.  I wrote:
Quote from: aukhawk on October 18, 2019, 01:20:46 AM
... This music post-dates The Rite of Spring by several years, and yet vividly recalls the world of Brahms and Mendelssohn as though the rest had never happened. ...

But listening to the Octet and the first-movement in particular, it is clearly post-Wagnerian in texture even if the form and structural gestures are more classical in style.  In fact I was much reminded, in the first movement, of Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht (which pre-dates the Octet by 20 years).  I guess Richard Strauss (about whose music I know nothing really) would be a fairer point of comparison than Mendelssohn.
I was pleasantly surprised to hear in the 2nd movement, a funeral march - I'm always a sucker for one of those!

Quote from: schnittkease on October 17, 2019, 05:53:44 PM

Without answering the question - the Nash disc was very well received I think, and it seems to me it is a better programme, omitting the Piano Quintet which is an earlier work, in favour of another String Quintet which is more contemporary with the other two late pieces.  I would have bought that rather than the CPO if it had cropped up at a comparable (very low!) price.

SonicMan46

TTT - nearly 2 1/2 years!  I've not posted since the first page and now own about 10 CDs of Bruch and am starting a perusal today - listened to the Violin Concertos w/ Accardo this morning now on the Symphonies which have been criticized as 'old fashion' and at times 'unimaginative', along w/ performances receiving mixed reviews - currently I own the two top discs w/ Halász & Honeck - on the bottom are 3 more sets - reviews of all are attached for those interested - but current thoughts on the ones enjoyed the most and have other newer ones of these orchestral works appeared?  Dave :)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 17, 2022, 08:14:37 AM
TTT - nearly 2 1/2 years!  I've not posted since the first page and now own about 10 CDs of Bruch and am starting a perusal today - listened to the Violin Concertos w/ Accardo this morning now on the Symphonies which have been criticized as 'old fashion' and at times 'unimaginative', along w/ performances receiving mixed reviews - currently I own the two top discs w/ Halász & Honeck - on the bottom are 3 more sets - reviews of all are attached for those interested - but current thoughts on the ones enjoyed the most and have other newer ones of these orchestral works appeared?  Dave :)

I recently listened to CPO's collection of all the concertante violin works -

Weithaas is very good indeed.  Of course so is Accardo but my problem with his set is the relatively dull accompaniment by Masur/Leipzig and I don't find them much better on their own in the symphonies.  I imagine Honeck would be good - I like all his more recent work a lot and likewise I love the sound of the Weimar Staatskapelle which I imagine would suit Bruch to a "T".