Max Bruch

Started by tjguitar, May 17, 2007, 03:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjguitar

I had never heard of this composer before, but I picked this up as part of Amazon's 4-for-3 deal:

I'm generally not a big fan of violin to begin with, but Tasmin Little convinces me here on the Scottish Fantasy, so much that I've just put in an order for Little's reading of the violin concerto on the same label.  ;D

Gurn Blanston

I think you will like Bruch. Of course, his 2 big, famous pieces are the Scottish Fantasia and the g minor Violin Concerto #1. But he wrote some nice chamber music & some good symphonies. The 2 instruments that really resonate with me from his pen are his works featuring cello and clarinet, together or separately. If you care to explore more, have a look around and see what is available. If you find them, the 3 adagios and the canzone for cello are very fine. Also his 8 Pieces for Clarinet Trio Op 83. You won't be disappointed in any of these works. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: tjguitar on May 17, 2007, 03:56:09 PM
I had never heard of this composer before..........................

TJ - like a number of other composers, Bruch often is 'pigeon-holed' into the category of 'one-work' composers, but I've discovered that he has more to offer.  The recordings that I have of him currently are shown below:

Violin Concertos, Complete, & Scottish Fantasy w/ Accardo & Masur - excellent 2-CD bargin, but the Conc. No. 1 & Scottish Fantasy are his 'one-work' compositions - plenty of competition here; BTW, this comin' Sunday I'm goin' to a concert w/ Midori playing the Bruch No. 1 - looking forward to that one!  :D

Clarinet & Viola Works - orchestral & chamber works - quite enjoyable & cheap!

String Octet, Quintet, & Piano Quintet - excellent CPO label - almost 80 mins. of wonderful chamber music!

Symphony No. 3 & Suite on Russian Themes - just exploring Bruch's more orchestral works!

Harry

Chandos has also a few very good recordings from his violin concertos, and Symphonies, which I bought a few years ago.
The CPO Dave is mentioning is also a very good one.

Chaszz

His Concerto for Clarinet, Viola and Orchestra is one of the finest works in musical history. Although he is not among the greatest composers, when considering his whole output, this work soars gently and melodically into very high levels of true greatness. It does not have the reputation it deserves. I heartily recommend it to anyone who likes Bruch!   

mahlertitan

SonicMan46

Just posted a question about the Bruch Symphonies in the 'Listening Thread' (quoted below) - likely will get 'buried' soon there, so just wanted to reactivate this rather short & dormant discussion - the guy wrote some excellent violin works and Jewish-related compositions - hopefully some further comments will be added -  :)

QuoteBruch's Symphonies - worth owning?  All opinions welcomed!  :)

Now, I own a nice Bruch collection but as to the Symphonies, just No. 3 on Naxos - mixed reviews (an older Marco Polo recording from the late 1980s); Brian has 'axed' the first two Symphonies, so is this guy's symphonic output worth exploring?

There are a couple of 'bargain' 2-CD sets of the three Symphonies shown below - one set w/ Kurt Masur and the other w/ James Conlon & Antal Dorati - 4+/5* ratings both on Amazon - cheap and in single-size jewel boxes - comments please from those who have heard these recordings -  :)

Harry

Masur Conlon and Honeck are in my opinion not the recordings to go for. All are sluggishly played, mediocre recorded, and frankly doing no service to the music at all. And yes the music is beautiful and well worth having. The best I heard so far are the Chandos recording under the baton of Hickox, albeit not complete. 

listener

BRUCH   Das Lied von der Glocke, op. 45   will please you if you are fond of Mendelssohn-like big choral pieces   (SATB Chorus Orch. & Organ)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan on March 31, 2010, 03:54:46 PM
Just posted a question about the Bruch Symphonies in the 'Listening Thread' (quoted below) - likely will get 'buried' soon there, so just wanted to reactivate this rather short & dormant discussion - the guy wrote some excellent violin works and Jewish-related compositions - hopefully some further comments will be added -  :)

Having now finished all three symphonies (Masur conducting), I can give them a big romantic thumbs up. Strangely, I think I preferred the first two over the third. Great melodies throughout and very enjoyable music all around. If you are not into the romantic period, then perhaps the reaction would not be as positive. This is definitely not Mahler or Bruckner in quality, but still well constructed music that should provide enjoyment. The fillers on these discs are also excellent.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

stevenski

Deeply moving/great music:
1. Romance for viola and orchestra-one of music's most moving slow melodies
2. Kol Nidrei-on Hebrew Themes  for Cello and orchestra

Lighter but fun:
Concerto for 2 pianos-sparliking; tune after tune
Scottish fantasy.

I often find him more convincing in his slow movements where he often writes lovely, memorable, sometimes brooding melodies; though there is the (quite) famous Brahmsian big theme in the finale of the Second Symphony; and, of course, THE (1st) VC is PERFECT.

Steve Benson
Enthusiasms: Michael Ponti, unknown Romantics, Meulemans, LPs, piano concerti

SonicMan46

Thanks all for your comments on the Bruch Symphonies - Masur seems to be the 'best' choice for a complete set, but not always receiving high marks from all - may just 'hold off' for a while; plenty of other composers to hear & collect!  :D

Superhorn

I have the earlier incarnation of the Conlon /Cologne recordings of the symphonies on a two CD EMI set, and the performances are not at all"sluggish" or badly recorded. In fact, they're quite vivacious and spirited.
  I like these symphonies a lot. They would make a welcome change from the same old Brahms symphonies, wonderful as those are, but which have been played to death at concerts. 
  How about it , maestros Alan Gilbert,Neeme Jarvi, Gerard Schwarz, Paavo Jarvi, andother conductors who champion the lesser-known works of the orchestral repertoire?  Let's have some live performaances of the Bruch symphonies for a change !
  I also have the recording of the "Song of the Bell" and like it very much.
   Bruch's less familiar works seem to be having something of a renaiisance on recordings, but not live, for some reason.  There's more to this fine composer than the G minor violin concerto.

Scarpia

Quote from: Superhorn on April 01, 2010, 02:53:34 PMThey would make a welcome change from the same old Brahms symphonies, wonderful as those are, but which have been played to death at concerts. 

That's like saying cool-aid makes a welcome change from Pinot Noir.

Leo K.

The James Ehnes account of the Scottish Fantasy is really special. I am really starting to marvel at Bruch's music.

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 17, 2007, 06:00:48 PM

This chamber music CD is utterly wonderful, and it has me thinking, after my mainly negative encounter with the symphonies (I found them dull), that there is a lot more Bruch for me to discover and love. Besides the chamber works featured here, I am also a big admirer of the concerto for clarinet, viola and orchestra, and all three of the violin concertos.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on February 01, 2013, 06:44:25 AM
This chamber music CD is utterly wonderful, and it has me thinking, after my mainly negative encounter with the symphonies (I found them dull)

Dull? Even the Third? I've been listening to it today  as background music and the Scherzo gripped my attention to the point of being spellbound.  :D His VCs and Scottish Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra are real gems IMO. And so is his 1st SQ.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on February 01, 2013, 09:00:22 AM
Dull? Even the Third? I've been listening to it today  as background music and the Scherzo gripped my attention to the point of being spellbound.  :D His VCs and Scottish Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra are real gems IMO. And so is his 1st SQ.  :D
Well, okay, I only heard the First and Second symphonies.

springrite

Even if you previously thought of him as a one-hit wonder, you must realize that the one hit did not come from nowhere. A bad composer does not suddenly become great in a few months period and not the rest of his life.

Love the choral stuff first and foremost.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.