Best Recordings of 2012!

Started by Brian, December 02, 2012, 12:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Interestingly enough one of the main theme's in Wolf-Ferraris concertos 1st (?- I hope I remember it correctly) movement is lifted pretty straight from this popular song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRXG8fubkSU

(the refrain, after 43 seconds), written as a student revue item in 1925 by Odd Nansen (son of Fritjov Nansen of polar exploration and Nobel price fame); 18 years before Wolf-Ferrari wrote his concerto, and very popular at the time.

Just a curious titbit for those into such kind of things.

jlaurson

Quote from: The new erato on January 03, 2013, 01:56:29 AM
Interestingly enough one of the main theme's in Wolf-Ferraris concertos 1st (?- I hope I remember it correctly) movement is lifted pretty straight from this popular song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRXG8fubkSU

(the refrain, after 43 seconds), written as a student revue item in 1925 by Odd Nansen (son of Fritjov Nansen of polar exploration and Nobel price fame); 18 years before Wolf-Ferrari wrote his concerto, and very popular at the time.

Just a curious titbit for those into such kind of things.

I suspect that Bustabo and Wolf-Ferrari  overheard Vidkun Quisling whistle it on one of their strolls through the woods.   :D

Cheers from Oslo,

jfl

The new erato

Quote from: jlaurson on January 03, 2013, 02:10:23 AM
I suspect that Bustabo and Wolf-Ferrari  overheard Vidkun Quisling whistle it on one of their strolls through the woods.   :D

Cheers from Oslo,

jfl
You're in Oslo? Hope your're not too cold (though it's a reasonably mild period now)? You should visit Polhøgda (Nansen's home).

It's a very curious similarity though, the tune isn't obvious (ie of a type many would stumble upon by accident). The Farao really is that much better than the cpo (which I've always liked)?

jlaurson

Quote from: The new erato on January 03, 2013, 02:16:22 AM
You're in Oslo? Hope your're not too cold (though it's a reasonably mild period now)? You should visit Polhøgda (Nansen's home).

It's a very curious similarity though, the tune isn't obvious (ie of a type many would stumble upon by accident). The Farao really is that much better than the cpo (which I've always liked)?

I think the Farao is a different league... even though on paper, the Frankfurt orchestra should be a lot better than the Oviedo band. But it ain't, and Mr.Gruberova (F.Haider) really gets a superbly idiomatic response from that young, largely East European Spanish band.

It was ridiculously mild until yesterday... which means everything on the roads and walkways melted and then became solid ice amid the brown and gray of gravel and dead grass. Tonight all that mess was fortunately covered with a merciful layer of snow.... which is almost as white as the fog outside. Not the best time to spend in Oslo... but at least I caught a fine Flaggermusen at Operaen.

The new erato

Your recommendations influence me significantly, as you soon will se in the purchases thread (but not the Farao yet; how musc Wolf-Ferrari does one relly need?)

dyn

as per usual 5:4 offers a different perspective on the top recordings of 2012...

a lot of it admittedly "nonclassical", but bubblegum pop and lite-classics Mahler for Babies it ain't. c'mon, any top 40 list with Richard Barrett, Aaron Cassidy and Jakob Ullmann on it can't be all bad ;)

Brian

QuoteImagine a Violin Concerto that has everything it takes to become an overplayed favorite—yet is virtually unknown? Imagine no more, listen: To Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari's such concerto, written in 1943. The concerto is a melodic feast for listeners, a rhythmic joyride for violinists, fiendishly difficult, exciting, and rewarding as hell.

Which begs the question, Jens, did you hear the Weinberg cello concerto released this year?

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on January 03, 2013, 04:34:40 AM
Which begs the question, Jens, did you hear the Weinberg cello concerto released this year?

Gunnarsson? Yes... I don't have a hard copy yet. But it's filed and will be mentioned eventually. There's a nice Weinberg chapter in an upcoming book where there's room for it.

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on January 03, 2013, 07:51:02 AM
Gunnarsson? Yes... I don't have a hard copy yet. But it's filed and will be mentioned eventually. There's a nice Weinberg chapter in an upcoming book where there's room for it.
An upcoming book that you are writing, or did I misunderstand that?

The live Rostropovich reading of the Weinberg concerto is definitive (Brilliant Classics), but Gunnarsson's good enough and in ideal sound. The concerto itself I rank in my top five, with Dvorak, Elgar, Shostakovich, and not too sure about the fifth.

springrite

Quote from: Brian on January 03, 2013, 08:30:22 AM
An upcoming book that you are writing, or did I misunderstand that?

The live Rostropovich reading of the Weinberg concerto is definitive (Brilliant Classics), but Gunnarsson's good enough and in ideal sound. The concerto itself I rank in my top five, with Dvorak, Elgar, Shostakovich, and not too sure about the fifth.
Give the 5th position to Myaskovsky or Prokofiev's Sinfonia Concertante!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

. . . The concerto itself I rank in my top five, with Dvorak, Elgar, Shostakovich . . . .

Op.107 or Op.126?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

Quote from: karlhenning on January 03, 2013, 08:35:08 AM
Op.107 or Op.126?
Dvorak, Elgar, 2 x Shostakovich + Weinberg makes 5, Karl. 

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on January 03, 2013, 09:32:32 AM

Aye, but Brian had written:

. . . Dvorak, Elgar, Shostakovich, and not too sure about the fifth.

So I snipped too carelessly . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on January 03, 2013, 09:32:32 AM
I haven't listened to the Second Shostakovich concerto nearly as much as the First, but it might be in play for the last spot.

The new erato

Quote from: karlhenning on January 03, 2013, 09:38:04 AM
Aye, but Brian had written:

So I snipped too carelessly . . . .
But I am sure about the 5th, so I'll go with your snip (though I dearly want to include the Schnittke 2nd, interesting how they nearly all are Slavic works).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jlaurson on January 03, 2013, 02:39:59 PM
The entire list, topped by Purcell & Friends:

Best Recordings of 2012 (# 1 - 10)

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/01/best-recordings-of-2012-1-10.html

Didn't know about Purcell: Love's Madness, sounds lovely, just sampled and pulled the trigger. Thanks, Jens.

Opus106

I did not know that Katsaris recorded the Beethoven-Liszt symphonies twice. If you've listened to both, which do you prefer?
Regards,
Navneeth