Edward Gregson

Started by tjguitar, October 15, 2008, 01:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjguitar

I'm listening to clips of the Trumpet Concerto and Saxophone Concerto on Amazon---and it sounds like a lot of fun!

http://www.amazon.com/Gregson-E-Saxophone-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B001CKFPLQ/ref=mb_oe_o

What do you guys have to say about Gregson? :)

Dundonnell

I posted this earlier this year on another thread-

"Edward Gregson is the Principal of the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester, Great Britain. I bought the CD more out of patriotic duty than great expectation but the three concertos on the disc are fantastically good pieces! The slow movement of the Trumpet Concerto is magnificently intense and moving, the Piano Concerto is splendidly energetic a la Bartok and Stravinsky, and the Saxophone Concerto a very worthy addition to that instrument's repertoire. Strongly recommended!"

Yes, the cd is, as you say, "a lot of fun" :)

karlhenning

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on October 16, 2008, 05:39:30 AM
Hmm.

Is that a "Hmm...I am interested" or a "Hmm...I don't agree with you" or a "Hmm...I don't believe you"?

karlhenning

karlhenning

Any piano concerto answering the following description is one I'd like to give an ear to:

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 16, 2008, 05:36:09 AM
. . . splendidly energetic a la Bartók and Stravinsky . . . .

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on October 16, 2008, 06:02:10 AM
The first, Colin  :)

Delighted to hear it, Karl :)

It is a disc which is well worth investigating. Gregson apparently intends a cycle of concerti for the entire family of orchestral instruments, including percussion, now that he has retired from his academic position. So far he has composed concertos for piano, violin, cello, clarinet, horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, saxophone. Nice to contemplate a productive retirement ;D

karlhenning

Can't help but wonder, though: which saxophone?

Dundonnell

karlhenning

That's probably the 'default', the saxophone that's meant when none is specified.  But the tenor is as good a candidate for 'most useful' saxophone.

If I ever write a saxophone concerto, 'twill be for tenor . . . .

pjme

Check gregson's website : http://edwardgregson.com/en/biographies/

He wrote ..a lot!
I have a few of the big brass/percussion/choir pieces ( The kings go forth, The sword and the crown...) : evocative in filmscore manner ( Judy Dench and Helen Mirren in some BBC costume drama set in the Middle Ages). Gregson knows his Rozsa, Walton & Prokofiev ( add a few Messiaen-like tamtam crashes  ;)) ! Not bad, actually. Colorful. Fanfare indigestion can occur...Still, I should listen again.

P.

Dundonnell

Thanks for the link, Peter :)

vandermolen

Having enjoyed the Tuba Concerto on a Naxos CD I am now exploring some of Gregson's other music. I have greatly enjoyed his Clarinet Concerto on a Chandos CD, which features a very moving slow movement. In fact I have enjoyed every piece I have heard by this composer.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).