Composers you aren't eager to explore yet?

Started by ChamberNut, October 07, 2008, 07:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay F

Quote from: karlhenning on October 07, 2008, 05:30:06 PM
The fault may lie with the conductor, not with the composer.

Just something to consider.

You are likely correct. The sound reminded me of shades of gray to black rather than rendering actual colors I could see in my mind's eye.

Jay F

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on October 07, 2008, 06:10:30 PM
lol

He's recorded so much Prokofiev (and so much in general), that not all of it is going to be good. I saw your review of the CD with the Sinfonietta, Karl, and just by listening to those short Amazon clips, I could tell what you mean. It sounded underreharsed, and the entrances of the instruments were a bit off.

How does anyone like Gergiev's Prokofiev?

Brian

Prokofiev is one for me. Also Haydn, for some reason, and even really Mozart - with whom I am holding steady at about a dozen intimately familiar pieces* but not quite going further yet. I'm still on a major 1840-1910 kick, so whatevs.

I also am not eager to explore Glazunov, because I love his String Quintet to pieces and am afraid that if I hear some of the stuff which everyone considers ultra-mediocre (like most of the symphonies), my opinion of him might decrease.  :(

*three string quintets, the Symphonies 35-41, the famous piano concerto, the clarinet concerto, and a couple piano works

c#minor

greg

Quote from: Jay F on October 07, 2008, 07:00:37 PM
How does anyone like Gergiev's Prokofiev?
I probably haven't heard any. Could be wrong.......