Bach: Motets and HIP Brandenburgs

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, October 16, 2008, 11:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Interesting reading through this.

The main recommendations for Motets seems to be Gardiner or Jacobs.

I know the 2 CD  Gardiner set and I find it disappointing -- not sharp and lively enough. I saw him perform a motet last Christmas and it was so good that I ordered the CDs when I got home. But my feeling is that he's much better with this music now than when he made the record.

What do people think -- is Jacobs the best alternative for the Motets?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

DavidW

Quote from: Mandryka on September 03, 2009, 10:54:24 PM
I know the 2 CD  Gardiner set and I find it disappointing -- not sharp and lively enough. I saw him perform a motet last Christmas and it was so good that I ordered the CDs when I got home. But my feeling is that he's much better with this music now than when he made the record.

Gardiner is simply inept at phrasing, it's not really his decidedly non-HIP legato phrasing, it's just how lost he altogether is in that department, traditional and HIPs alike run circles around him in that area.  And if you can't get that part right, the music will sound limp without tension which is what happens in many of Gardiner's efforts.

I haven't heard Gardiner in the motets, but I haven't heard him handle phrasing well anywhere.  There have simply been recordings where he shines just due to mastering the other elements of conducting.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mandryka on September 03, 2009, 10:54:24 PM
Interesting reading through this.

The main recommendations for Motets seems to be Gardiner or Jacobs.

What do people think -- is Jacobs the best alternative for the Motets?

No, although he's good. I don't agree with DavidW's harsh assessment of Gardiner, but his motets aren't my cup of tea.

My far-and-away-favorite over-all is Kuijken. My No.1 re-issue in 2008:
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2008/12/best-recordings-of-2008.html
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=451

My favorite version just for the performance of the voices is the Netherlands Bach Choir under Dijkstra. Perfection, indeed. Makes Erik Erickson look like a bloody amateur.

Franco

Just found this among my CDs which I don't remember buying.  

Bach - The Complete Brandenburg Concertos / Pearlman, Boston Baroque

I like it.

Sorin Eushayson

For the Brandenburgs (or the other concerti, might I add) go for Cafe Zimmermann on the Alpha label - they really set themselves above the crowd.  I only wish they'd hurry up and record No.'s 1 & 6!   :-\

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Sorin Eushayson on September 05, 2009, 10:03:40 AM
For the Brandenburgs (or the other concerti, might I add) go for Cafe Zimmermann on the Alpha label - they really set themselves above the crowd.  I only wish they'd hurry up and record No.'s 1 & 6!   :-\

It's funny how the tastes differ between each individual person: I really dislike those hasty performances by the Cafe Zimmermann. I only have enjoyed that group one time, when they recorded two Bach's secular cantatas with Leonhardt. But certainly it's just my opinion.

jlaurson

Speaking of Brandenburgs: Here's a review of the Egarr compared directly to Alessandrini and Pinnock II.

http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=465

Archaic Torso of Apollo

As the thread starter, I can report that I wound up getting:

for the B-burgs - Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin; for the motets - Herreweghe

And am very happy with them  0:) (both on Harmonia Mundi, a label that has never let me down)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on September 05, 2009, 11:04:11 PM
Speaking of Brandenburgs: Here's a review of the Egarr compared directly to Alessandrini and Pinnock II.

And speaking of Egarr's Brandenburg, what's the significance of 464?  ???

Quote from: Richard EgarrIf this set of 'Brandenburgs' becomes the 464th 'hit' on the search engine, it might illicit a slight numerological smile from Bach in e-heaven."

[Link]

Regards,
Navneeth

Mandryka

Quote from: jlaurson on September 04, 2009, 11:07:39 AM
No, although he's good. I don't agree with DavidW's harsh assessment of Gardiner, but his motets aren't my cup of tea.

My far-and-away-favorite over-all is Kuijken. My No.1 re-issue in 2008:
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2008/12/best-recordings-of-2008.html
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=451

My favorite version just for the performance of the voices is the Netherlands Bach Choir under Dijkstra. Perfection, indeed. Makes Erik Erickson look like a bloody amateur.

Have you had a chance to hear Kuijken's second recording on Challenge Classics yet? I find myself really enjoying it, the 225 for example is fabulous.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Octave

Since Mandryka brought up this thread, I've been wanting to ask if anyone has heard this one, since the elusive 'Antoine Marchand' mentioned it ~16 months ago.
My points of reference are Herrweghe/Gent [not the 2011, the somewhat older one]; Kuijken's first [?] on Accent; Hilliard (ECM); Corboz/Lausanne.  I am certain I prefer the Kuijken, overall for the moment.

[very lightly edited]
Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 26, 2011, 02:44:06 PM
Currently of my favorite versions of the motets:

J.S. Bach: JESU, MEINE FREUDE - MOTETS [Sette Voci, dir. Peter Kooij - released by Ramee

http://www.ramee.org/0906gb.html

Clarity and transparency are the key words.

:)

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 27, 2011, 01:53:01 AM
Just organ and violone as continuo, Navneeth. Although the ensemble is named Sette Voci (Seven Voices), the singers are actually eight: two sopranos, two male altos, two tenors and two basses. I wonder if the name "Sette Voci" is a sort of pun for the Italian expression "sotto voce".

Peter Kooij, direction
Hana Blažíková, Zsuzsi Tóth, sopranos
Damien Guillon, Robin Blaze, altos
Satoshi Misukoshi, Chris Watson, tenors
Dominik Wörner, Jelle Draijer, basses
Jan Jansen, Masato Suzuki, organ
Armin Bereuter, violone

Apparently Masato Suzuki is son of Masaaki.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

aligreto

JS Bach: Motets [Herreweghe]

Refinement and sensitivity to the music has always been a hallmark of Herreweghe and his troupe in the presentation of Bach's sacred music. They have been consistently excellent in the delivery of this music and so it is with the Motets here. The oftentimes ethereal singing is never less than a very pleasurable aural experience. The proportions of the choir consistently sound perfect in terms of balance in the delivery of the music and the tone is also always very appropriate; hovering between reverential and joyful. This album is an aural delight throughout.

vers la flamme

For the Brandenburgs, I have Hogwood/AAM/L'Oiseau Lyre and Pinnock/English Concert/Archiv. Would love to hear more HIP recordings.

For the Motets, I like the Hilliard/ECM. Herreweghe looks interesting.

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 29, 2021, 09:36:02 AM
For the Brandenburgs, I have Hogwood/AAM/L'Oiseau Lyre and Pinnock/English Concert/Archiv. Would love to hear more HIP recordings.

For the Motets, I like the Hilliard/ECM. Herreweghe looks interesting.

A particular favourite of mine in the Brandenburgs is Linde and yes, Herreweghe is wonderful in the motets  :)