Alberic Magnard(1865-1914)

Started by Dundonnell, October 19, 2008, 02:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 04, 2020, 04:09:01 PM
I feel that in his 4th Symphony. It's what it conveys to me. A farewell. A very subjective and personal point of view of mine.

More like a view coloured by the hindsight of knowing when Magnard died.

I'm sure there are some composers that consciously choose to do farewell works, because they know they're old/ill and on the way out. But there's simply no way that Magnard is one of them. No-one at the premiere was reacting by thinking "gosh, what a farewell work from a composer who's going to die soon".

And you didn't present it as a 'subjective and personal point of view', or I wouldn't have said anything. You presented it as Magnard's artistic reaction to his own impending death.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 04, 2020, 04:09:01 PM
I feel that in his 4th Symphony. It's what it conveys to me. A farewell. A very subjective and personal point of view of mine.

Sure, I sometimes hear things like this as well. Like, for example, the Lento movement in Schnittke's 8th symphony. To me, it is, in a sense, a musical letter of resignation from this world. The same with Arnold's 9th finale. Also, much of Mahler's 9th could be interpreted this way.

W.A. Mozart

What do you think about the Symphony No. 4?

Orchestra: Orchestre du Capitole de Toulouse
Conductor: Michel Plasson

vandermolen

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on May 11, 2023, 08:09:54 AMWhat do you think about the Symphony No. 4?

Orchestra: Orchestre du Capitole de Toulouse
Conductor: Michel Plasson

Fabulous! A deeply moving and eloquent work. Plasson's performance is first-rate. I had the wonderful LP with 'Chant Funebre' included.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

I got the Hyperion cycle of the symphonies recently. No opinion as of yet.

Maestro267

I got that set last year but haven't listened enough to form an opinion on the symphonies yet either.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 11, 2023, 02:52:15 PMI got the Hyperion cycle of the symphonies recently. No opinion as of yet.

Awaiting the Great Hyperion Streaming Revolution, here. Will listen with interest!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 13, 2023, 08:32:51 AMAwaiting the Great Hyperion Streaming Revolution, here. Will listen with interest!

Robert Simpson chamber music
Being able listen to his symphonies at work and not just home
Vaughan Williams symphonies, keep seeing Vandermolen and others posting those recordings
Angela Hewitt at work and not just home
Florestan Trio
Hamelin
Herrick
Hough
Raphael Ensemble

and so many more that I can't even think of... oh yeah don't forget one of the finest Shostakovich SQ cycles is on the hyperion label.

Sorry, I'm just getting excited. :)

foxandpeng

Quote from: DavidW on May 13, 2023, 09:05:02 AMRobert Simpson chamber music
Vaughan Williams symphonies, keep seeing Vandermolen and others posting those recordings
Florestan Trio
Hamelin
Herrick
Hough
Raphael Ensemble

and so many more that I can't even think of... oh yeah don't forget one of the finest Shostakovich SQ cycles is on the hyperion label.

Me too!

**drools**
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on May 13, 2023, 09:05:02 AMRobert Simpson chamber music
Florestan Trio
Hamelin
Herrick
Hough
Raphael Ensemble

Yes to several of these. Although I already own about half of the Florestan Trio's ouevre on CD, and some Raphael Ensemble as well.

But I'll be making a beeline for the Simpson.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!