'An Appalling Report'

Started by Homo Aestheticus, October 20, 2008, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: karlhenning on November 18, 2008, 05:51:32 AM
I don't quite follow the complaint here.

Why should anybody read Homer? Can anybody answer this question? Why is it important? Why is it necessary to enforce this particular work of literature upon our children? What is there to be profited from the experience?

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on November 18, 2008, 05:51:32 AM
I don't quite follow the complaint here.

If I understand JdP correctly, he points to the cultural relativism that doesn't place any special importance or significance in Homer more than in Danielle Steel.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

karlhenning

Quote from: Florestan on November 18, 2008, 06:24:26 AM
If I understand JdP correctly, he points to the cultural relativism that doesn't place any special importance or significance in Homer more than in Danielle Steel.

Ah, well.  Practically no educator known to me personally would claim any literal equality between Homer and Danielle Steel.

I knew a doddering old former-pharmaceuticals-professor who couldn't think why Michael Jackson is musically inferior to Beethoven;  but he isn't driving the curriculum anywhere, so far as I can tell.

karlhenning

In fairness, as a dancer, Beethoven can't touch Michael.

PSmith08

Quote from: Florestan on November 18, 2008, 06:24:26 AM

Danielle Steel? Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows that John Grisham is every bit as important as Homer.

mn dave

Quote from: PSmith08 on November 18, 2008, 06:56:41 AM
Danielle Steel? Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows that John Grisham is every bit as important as Homer.

No! Jackie Collins!!!

karlhenning

PSmith08

Quote from: mn dave on November 18, 2008, 06:57:40 AM
No! Jackie Collins!!!

Dare I utter the august, well-nigh-unutterable name? I dare, I dare.

Kitty Kelley.

adamdavid80

Quote from: Florestan on November 18, 2008, 06:11:25 AM
Valid is not the same as particularly insightful. That water boils at 100 degrees Celsius is a valid point, but not particularly insightful.

Precisely. Now, the standard of 1908 differs from that of 2008. JdP thinks the old one was better. I don't see the problem.
Nobody forces you to engage him. But dismissing him as a Nazi, without presenting the slightest evidence in this respect, is intellectually dishonest.

The water boiling thing is a scientific fact...it's not a point of view, which is what a "valid point"...ahem...boils down to.  A world of difference.

The needs and demands of 2008 are completely different from 1908.  If 1908 is is so much better, and you want to revert back to that model, than should we eliminate computers from the curriculum and system?  Should motor vehichles be eliminated as the means of transport to the school?  Should females have to resort to all-women learning facilities like Vassar College?  Should they be eliminated from the workforce?  See?  Dumb.  There's no other word for it. 

And he wears the nazi badge with pride.  to him, its a compliment.  he's called himself a nazi on a number of occassions. 

Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

Florestan

Quote from: adamdavid80 on November 18, 2008, 07:23:22 AM
The needs and demands of 2008 are completely different from 1908.  If 1908 is is so much better, and revert back to that model, than should we eliminate computers from the curriculum and system?  Should motor vehichles be eliminated as the means of transport to the school?  Should females have to resort to all-women learning facilities like Vassar College?  Should they be eliminated from the workforce? 

Strawman. I won't even bother to respond.

Quote from: adamdavid80 on November 18, 2008, 07:23:22 AMAnd he wears the nazi badge with pride.  to him, its a compliment.  he's called himself a nazi on a number of occassions. 
Does "irony" ring a bell to you?
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: karlhenning on November 18, 2008, 03:01:14 AM
False.

Does this mean you are taking on the challenge? This is exciting.

Quote from: karlhenning on November 18, 2008, 04:04:10 AM
Truly, that is a misunderstanding on your part.

A single glance at Emmy Noether reveals either wise:

;D

Josquin des Prez

Should females have to resort to all-women learning facilities like Vassar College?

Actually yes. I'm in full support of single sex education, for men and women alike.

Should they be eliminated from the workforce? 

Women, no. Femininity? Yes. Same goes for education, or society at large.

Florestan

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on November 18, 2008, 07:27:18 AM
A single glance at Emmy Noether reveals either wise:

;D

This might be your strongest argument, J. It is a common, daily experience that, broadly speaking, feminity and intellectual interests are in inverse proportion.  ;D

adamdavid80

Quote from: Florestan on November 18, 2008, 07:26:48 AM
Strawman. I won't even bother to respond.
  Does "irony" ring a bell to you?

You won't respond bc you know you've been checkmated.  If 1908 was so great, why did things evolve?  There' a bigger population now, needs have changed, the curriculum for all its flaws, IS better.  Sorry...you didn't learn the boiling point of water from the bible.  Period.

I know what irony is, and I know what a bigotry is.  J employs the latter.  Frankly, you defending him only casts a very poor light on you and your POV.   But then, your own bigotry has caused at least two people to leave this site, so where's the surprise?
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

Florestan

Quote from: adamdavid80 on November 18, 2008, 07:32:24 AM
You won't respond bc you know you've been checkmated.
Wishful thinking.

Quote from: adamdavid80 on November 18, 2008, 07:32:24 AMIf 1908 was so great, why did things evolve?
Some evolved, some devolved. Long debate.

Quote from: adamdavid80 on November 18, 2008, 07:32:24 AMyou didn't learn the boiling point of water from the bible.
Of course. The Bible is no scientific textbook.

Quote from: adamdavid80 on November 18, 2008, 07:32:24 AMyour own bigotry has caused at least two people to leave this site, so where's the surprise?

You're very fond of shallow words that mean nothing in particular; nevertheless, you're confusing me with someone else.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: adamdavid80 on November 18, 2008, 07:32:24 AM
Frankly, you defending him only casts a very poor light on you and your POV. 

He is defending me because he sees the same problems i do. This doesn't necessarily means he agrees with my (admittedly) radical explanations for those problems. I take full responsibility for my ideas, and have no wish of dumping the burden upon others.

Florestan

I'm not even defending JdP, for as he says, he can defend himself. I'm defending rational debate, free from name-calling, ideological parti-pris and sentimental strawmen.

Actually, this isn't a trial with defendants and prosecutors --- or is it?

Josquin des Prez

I don't know. Here's more Emmy Noether for ya:

Was Weininger really that crazy?

Florestan

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on November 18, 2008, 07:56:49 AM
Was Weininger really that crazy?

I haven't read him. Could you summarize his views for me?