Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: LKB on April 07, 2024, 07:30:48 AMWhile l think I'm fairly obsessive with Mahler, I've never really felt the need for multiple versions of Mahler recordings. It is the music I'm interested in, more than any specific recording ( with the exception of Symphony No. 2, possibly due to performing it several times ).

I don't agree with the implicit assertion that people that collect multiple recordings are putting the performance in front of the music.  That is just an arrogant and snide thing to say.

I listen to multiple recordings of the works that I love to see different perspectives on these masterpieces.  It is out of love for the work.  Please don't suggest otherwise.  No need for gatekeeping how we appreciate music here.  You deciding you only want to hear one recording of each work is not inherently superior to me listening to multiple recordings and attending concerts.

LKB

Quote from: DavidW on April 07, 2024, 07:56:20 AMI don't agree with the implicit assertion that people that collect multiple recordings are putting the performance in front of the music.  That is just an arrogant and snide thing to say.

I listen to multiple recordings of the works that I love to see different perspectives on these masterpieces.  It is out of love for the work.  Please don't suggest otherwise.  No need for gatekeeping how we appreciate music here.  You deciding you only want to hear one recording of each work is not inherently superior to me listening to multiple recordings and attending concerts.

I must say, I'm very much taken aback by this.

I was asserting nothing, and for the life of me cannot see how you arrived at the inferences described in your post.

Perhaps l was misunderstood due to poor wording on my part, so please allow me to clarify...

I listen to recordings with the intent of memorizing the music being recorded, in order to be able to enjoy it while working, shopping, travelling etc.

For that reason, I almost never own more than one recording of any given composition. Nearly all of the CDs l own are nearly forty years old, and l rarely listen to any of them, having memorized them decades ago.

Once the music is in my head, the source recording becomes mainly irrelevant. In fact, my collection is down to around forty discs, after selling, gifting and discarding hundreds over the years.

This is simply how l make use of recordings, and l would never make any claims of this usage being in some way more appropriate or " better " than anyone else's.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on April 07, 2024, 09:00:21 AMI must say, I'm very much taken aback by this.

I was asserting nothing, and for the life of me cannot see how you arrived at the inferences described in your post.

Perhaps l was misunderstood due to poor wording on my part, so please allow me to clarify...

I listen to recordings with the intent of memorizing the music being recorded, in order to be able to enjoy it while working, shopping, travelling etc.

For that reason, I almost never own more than one recording of any given composition. Nearly all of the CDs l own are nearly forty years old, and l rarely listen to any of them, having memorized them decades ago.

Once the music is in my head, the source recording becomes mainly irrelevant. In fact, my collection is down to around forty discs, after selling, gifting and discarding hundreds over the years.

This is simply how l make use of recordings, and l would never make any claims of this usage being in some way more appropriate or " better " than anyone else's.
Most interesting. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Sorry @LKB I forgot that you're the one that commits the music to memory.  That puts a very different spin on your post.

LKB

Quote from: DavidW on April 07, 2024, 12:07:11 PMSorry @LKB I forgot that you're the one that commits the music to memory. That puts a very different spin on your post.

No worries. Misunderstandings are bound to happen, even between people of good will.  8)

Brian

Quote from: LKB on April 07, 2024, 09:00:21 AMI must say, I'm very much taken aback by this.

I didn't know this and am fascinated because I also memorize music in a similar way. It doesn't "replace" recordings for me, but, for example, I'm about to board a 2h 30m flight, and I have been thinking about long "concert programs" of music to play in my head during the travel.

A couple questions if it's ok...
How quickly can you memorize a piece by listening? For me it takes quite a large number of listens, probably 50+, although towards the end of the process I can be strategic about which sections I'm "targeting."

And are you able to manipulate the music in your head? Like have it play faster, slower, louder, quieter, etc. compared to your original recording.

One reason I like multiple recordings for this is that you don't always know that you can hear everything happening in every performance... I recently added a bass line to the Beethoven 7 in my head after hearing it more clearly on a new performance.

LKB

Quote from: Brian on April 08, 2024, 03:03:24 AMI didn't know this and am fascinated because I also memorize music in a similar way. It doesn't "replace" recordings for me, but, for example, I'm about to board a 2h 30m flight, and I have been thinking about long "concert programs" of music to play in my head during the travel.

A couple questions if it's ok...
How quickly can you memorize a piece by listening? For me it takes quite a large number of listens, probably 50+, although towards the end of the process I can be strategic about which sections I'm "targeting."

And are you able to manipulate the music in your head? Like have it play faster, slower, louder, quieter, etc. compared to your original recording.

One reason I like multiple recordings for this is that you don't always know that you can hear everything happening in every performance... I recently added a bass line to the Beethoven 7 in my head after hearing it more clearly on a new performance.

Good questions, I'll try to provide worthy answers.  ;)

Most of what is in my " memory banks " has been there for decades, starting at the age of eight and with " hardcore " memorization completed around age thirty. As for the reps, Longer pieces require more but on the average, I'd say between fifteen and twenty plays for a 45-60 minute piece.

The correct environment is probably most vital. When I was memorizing, it was a focused activity. Turn out the lights, get comfortable in the chair or on the bed, start the recording and put everything else out of my mind. I would never try to learn a new piece while doing chores, homework, the household budget etc. It was always the only activity, and under as optimal circumstances as could be arranged.

As far as manipulating the music, it's fairly easy to do. Adding hall resonance or removing same, changing dynamics or tempos, transposing, re-orchestrating are all available. ( Note, usually I don't engage in such manipulation since it requires specific attention to whatever change is in effect. I play the " stereo " between my ears for the exact same reasons most folks listen to music, and most folks don't want to have to " work " at it. )

There is a game I like to play at times: Start two disparate compositions simultaneously in two different keys, and see how long I can maintain them both before things break down ( usually 10-12 seconds ). If I'm rested and feeling cocky I'll start three pieces, but I've never been able to keep that up for more a few seconds.  ;D

I hope I've answered satisfactorily.  8)