Author Topic: Ravel's Rotunda  (Read 42352 times)

Online Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
Re: Ravel's Rotunda
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2020, 08:21:30 PM »
Quote from: Madiel
Two more sets I plan to sample at the moment before my brain gives out.

Then get them all.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #301 on: January 16, 2020, 08:47:13 PM »
Then get them all.

Clearly we have not met.

What I can quickly hear of Boulez' DG recordings is definitely more appealing to me than the earlier ones. Warmer, but with tonnes of sonic detail. Though like Ozawa, from what I know I don't think he did the early Sheherazade overture. And in fact a couple of recordings in the Debussy/Ravel box I'm looking at might in truth be from the earlier recordings in America? Interesting.

Last cab off the rank, not previously mentioned... Deneve. Not bad, but perhaps lacking a little energy? Things are a bit smoothed over sometimes.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2020, 08:49:25 PM »
Ozawa is very good in Ravel’s orchestral music. You can’t really go wrong with Boulez, Martinon, or Ozawa.

At this point I pretty much agree with you. Not sure if you had a Boulez era in mind, but his DG plus Martinon and Ozawa were all sets that made my ears prick up. I also liked Abbado.

I think I will explore Martinon and Abbado more, as their sets include everything I would ideally want. But Ozawa sure sounded impressive...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2020, 08:56:42 PM »
At this point I pretty much agree with you. Not sure if you had a Boulez era in mind, but his DG plus Martinon and Ozawa were all sets that made my ears prick up. I also liked Abbado.

I think I will explore Martinon and Abbado more, as their sets include everything I would ideally want. But Ozawa sure sounded impressive...

8) Sounds like a good plan to me.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2020, 03:43:27 AM »
I've never heard Ozawa conduct Ravel, but now I am curious. He is a very detail oriented conductor. I think he would be great for this music.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2020, 04:10:38 AM »
I've never heard Ozawa conduct Ravel, but now I am curious. He is a very detail oriented conductor. I think he would be great for this music.

I've now seen several reviews along the lines of "Ozawa is great but curiously unknown". One view seems to be that he didn't get as much attention because of timing, with Martinon being at much the same time and then Dutoit becoming the new hit not that many years later.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2020, 09:45:35 AM »
Ozawa used to be among the standard recommendations for Ravel but this was about 30 years ago. I have one disc of his DG Ravel but I cannot say more than that I did not dislike it. My Ravel "to go" is the already mentioned and discussed Boulez/Sony and as it's mostly not music I feel deeply about I never bothered to get alternatives (except for the piano concertos: Kocsis and Francois/Cluytens).
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #307 on: January 17, 2020, 10:24:28 AM »
Yeah, except Ravel figured out not all of the Tombeau was capable of being orchestrated.  And as the Toccata is one of the most amazing (and hardest) things I ever learned to play, not finishing with it is always going to be letdown for me.
For what it's worth, at least one person agrees with you. I don't have much time for the orchestral Tombeau. It feels like a piano wearing a funny costume; the music transforms from a neo-baroque suite with dark undertones to a series of charming entr'actes.

What DOES kinda work is the Toccata played by...saxophones.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5UlVPMLWuUk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5UlVPMLWuUk</a>

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #308 on: January 17, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »
There's also this super-rare Tombeau orchestration by the great Zoltan Kocsis.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r3uLkUzQ_gs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r3uLkUzQ_gs</a>

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #309 on: January 17, 2020, 03:09:43 PM »
There's also this super-rare Tombeau orchestration by the great Zoltan Kocsis.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r3uLkUzQ_gs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r3uLkUzQ_gs</a>

My girlfriend showed me this the other day. I really enjoyed it.

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #310 on: January 22, 2020, 04:48:58 AM »
My girlfriend showed me this the other day. I really enjoyed it.

The truth is Ravel seems to get the best from a lot of conductors!  Ozawa in Boston is excellent but so is Abbado/LSO as well as Boulez/New York - which I prefer to his DG remakes although they are good too!  Martinon is an exceptionally safe pair of hands with the advantage (some might say dis-) of a distinctly french-sounding orchestra.  The good thing about all the above older sets is large chunks of them can be picked up in the marketplace for literal pence/cents....

(you get the great Piano trio in this set too....)

and if Martinon tickles your fancy don't overlook this RCA/Chicago disc

A PS:  another really excellent survey of the orchestral works and available if you hunt around is on Vox;

Skrowaczewski in Minnesota - a couple of Vox boxes - 2 discs per set.  Lovely analogue sound and very compelling performances - NOT the complete Daphnis - just the 2 suites
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:05:50 AM by Roasted Swan »

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #311 on: January 22, 2020, 02:15:02 PM »
Well, I ended up ordering the Martinon box on Erato (just as much for the Debussy, whose orchestral works I do not have in completion in my library, as for the Ravel). That should keep me busy for now. I also do want to spend more time with Ozawa and Boulez in Ravel. I have Abbado's disc with the Bolero and I'm not super impressed, but it is nice enough.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #312 on: January 22, 2020, 04:53:49 PM »
I hadn’t noticed there was a Martinon box that has Debussy as well. Worth knowing for the sake of availability/price.

Though I won’t make a purchase until I’ve tried... I think 3 more sets. This is what I use streaming for these days, road testing the candidates.

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2020, 06:17:00 AM »
I hadn’t noticed there was a Martinon box that has Debussy as well. Worth knowing for the sake of availability/price.

Though I won’t make a purchase until I’ve tried... I think 3 more sets. This is what I use streaming for these days, road testing the candidates.

Yes, 4 discs of Debussy, 4 discs of Ravel, and only for a couple dollars more than the Ravel only box, here in the states anyway; availability may vary in your corner of the world.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #314 on: January 28, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »

I've started to listen to this. It's amazingly good. Some of it's on youtube I think. I got the CD from symphonyshare.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen