Egon Wellesz(1885-1974)

Started by Dundonnell, October 21, 2008, 04:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Very impressed with all of these works. There is something of interest in all of them. I went into the early symphonies expecting them to sound like Bruckner, a composer who is a bit hit-and-miss with me. But there is enough 20th-century harmonic exploration and colour to make them interesting to me.

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on January 10, 2022, 04:35:48 PM
I have the entire set. My personal favorites are 2, followed by 5. But it really depends on your taste and I am sure reactions from every listener will be different.
2 is my favourite as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

San Antone

I seem to remember reading that around the 4th Wellesz went through a stylistic change, and the symphonies written after the 4th were more atonal than the earlier ones.  But I haven't listened to the symphonies much, even though I own the complete set, since my main interest with Wellesz has been the string quartets and other chamber music, solo piano, as well as lieder.

Irons

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 11, 2022, 12:48:59 AM
I go through each of them once before I return to them. Same way I deal with most symphony cycles.

A good plan.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Symphonic Addict

I was revisiting the 4th Symphony Austrian from the magnificent set above. What an extraordinary work this is. The sense of urgency in places is tremendous; there are many interesting ideas running throughout. A piece with personality that easily grips you from start to finish. The slow movement combines lyricism with a slight astringency that is quite effective. The recording can't be better. A really fascinating experience.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

The above post inspired me to listen to No. 4 again. One, I was surprised to find the symphony's goal to be G. Idk why. The opening of the first and last movements implied a tonal home of D. Also I was intrigued by that unusual chorale in the slow movement that started in B minor (with ominously growing-in-volume timpani strokes) and led back to that movement's home key of E flat major.

relm1

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 16, 2022, 05:40:09 PM

I was revisiting the 4th Symphony Austrian from the magnificent set above. What an extraordinary work this is. The sense of urgency in places is tremendous; there are many interesting ideas running throughout. A piece with personality that easily grips you from start to finish. The slow movement combines lyricism with a slight astringency that is quite effective. The recording can't be better. A really fascinating experience.

Not familiar with the work.  Added to my listening list.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: relm1 on April 18, 2022, 05:18:47 AM
Not familiar with the work.  Added to my listening list.

His symphonies 1-5 (or 1 to 4?) are the more approachable ones. They're quite accomplished I must say.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

And the rest are approachable if you're already familiar with 20th century music.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 18, 2022, 10:34:47 AM
His symphonies 1-5 (or 1 to 4?) are the more approachable ones. They're quite accomplished I must say.

Thanks for this. I have never really spent any time with Wellesz, partly because there is so much other music out there, and partly because the style of the CPO covers have always made me erroneously believe his music belonged to an earlier period with which I have little engagement. I know now that it doesn't, so he is on my long 'to do' list. I will take your recs as a starting point.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Please, do it when you can. These symphonies represent an important repertoire regarding late-Romantic and Serialist Austrian symphonies.

Noam Chomsky

calyptorhynchus

Not enough polyphony for me.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Symphonic Addict

Surely Havergal Brian's symphonies do have more polyphony (and fine counterpoint) then, for instance.  :-X ::)

Noam Chomsky

calyptorhynchus

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Maestro267

Not a fan of Vaughan Williams then? He operates on a similar formula of blocks of sound.

Symphonic Addict

Currently diving into Wellesz's Symphony No. 3 from the splendid CPO set. Somehow I was reminded me of Tubin and Zemlinsky in the 1st movement. A quite vigorous beginning for sure.

Noam Chomsky

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 22, 2022, 12:00:31 PM
Not a fan of Vaughan Williams then? He operates on a similar formula of blocks of sound.

He doesn't.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Maestro267

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 11, 2022, 08:21:48 PM
He doesn't.

He does.

Anyway, ignoring the apparent need to respond to something months old...Symphony No. 4 is excellent.