Nancarrow's Nexus

Started by James, February 12, 2008, 10:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torut

Evan Zyporyn was the clarinetist. The current clarinetist of Bang on a Can All-Stars is Ken Thomson, who is also a composer.

Quote from: snyprrr on August 20, 2014, 07:34:06 AM
That was kinda fun, but right at the end I said, EnoUGH! exhausting- we WILL have fun we WILL have fun we WILL- but it was fun to watch, and who doesn't like to at least see Electric Guitar?
I'm glad you had a fun time. What do you think of the original?
Study No. 3a was the one Ligeti chose as one of his favorites on BBC Radio 3's Private Passions.

James

I got this new film on his centenary  .. certainly recommended if you're into his thing. A great intro for curious newbies too.

[asin]1557286736[/asin]
QuoteAlthough little known in the Americas, Conlon Nancarrow is considered 'one of the greatest composers of the 20th century' in Europe. Born in Texarkana, Arkansas, he left to fight against the fascists in the Spanish Civil War in the 1930's and during the Communist 'witch hunts' of the 1940's he emigrated to Mexico where he lived the rest of his life focusing on his highly sophisticated, but viscerally exciting musical creations for the player piano. In 1982 Nancarrow was awarded a MacArthur "Genius Grant." This film, in honor of the centennial of his birth in 1912, features performances of his exciting music, a premiere performance of a recently discovered piece, and interviews with his friends and supporters
Action is the only truth

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on November 15, 2016, 11:07:55 PM
I am really disappointed this thread hasn't gotten what it deserves  :(

I love Nancarrow's music very much. I understand exactly why his amazing music was praised so much by Ligeti and Zappa, I join the Nancarrowian club  8)

There is something explosive about his music, when one of his studies begins it often erupts into this huge mesmerizing world, in which the term "poly-rhythmic" is completely inaccurate.
The mathematical technicalities of how complex the overlapping tempos/time signatures/keys are amazing but the initial feelings and atmospheres this music evokes is even more interesting to me. His music shows me many possibilities that enforce my slightly punk-ish attitude as a composer.

His music is inspirational, fun, groovy, adrenaline filled and assures my belief that "the only true limit in music, is yourself"

;D

Can you give me a Top3-5 to dip into? I've got the Ardittis, but nothing else. I've heard some Piano Music, but I need to get straight to the TopStuff... this is wallet burning time...

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 25, 2017, 05:55:55 PM
Any luck Snyprrr?

I scoured the YT after that last Post,... the EnsembleModerne CD,... this and that,... and no,... I started getting "that" feeling (whatever it is, nondescript),... I just... mm,...

It's fun to watch the animated scores on YT, but I don't want to listen to it- it's the same-but-different problem I have with most all microtonal stuff- it's like that commercial, "Never Mess with Mother Nature", lol, I'm hearing something "perverted" when I hear it beyond human playability?

Anyhow, sorry, if he were a pretty girl I'd be like, "Sorry dude, I dunno, I just don't want to date your sister, can't tell you why" (too bizarre??)

I was especially not liking the ensemble stuff,...

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll try some more again later 0:)

I mean, I do respect his achievement and all that good stuff, so, it's just a lactose intolerance issue I can't help. :blank:

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 26, 2017, 12:58:51 PM
Wait, you don't like Nancarrow's hyper-micro-poly-rhythmic contrapuntality? and you love Xenakis and Ligeti?    ???

I thought you'd be at home with all dat good 'ole apocalyptic dissonance?  :-[

Maybe it's like some death metal- it's just toooo fast, like the devil at the end of 'Pick of Destiny', whereas the other two just seem within human reach...

He was SPECIFICALLY mechanical whereas they were somewhat INCIDENTALLY??

lol, just grasping at straws- I'll try later again