Arthur Honegger (1892-1955)

Started by vandermolen, August 31, 2007, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Leo K. on November 14, 2023, 01:20:57 PMListening for the first time to Herbert Von Karajan and his DGG recording of Honegger's 2nd Symphony and being truly moved throughout the whole work. I have never heard Honegger before. I am excited to continue with more symphonic works by him!

I don't know about availability, but the cycle by Serge Baudo on Supraphon is outstanding. The piece Pastoral d'eta is a favorite of mine.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

pjme

The Concerto da camera is another pastoral gem!

Atriod

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 15, 2023, 02:46:44 AMI agree, Honegger's Symphony No.2 is a hauntingly beautiful work, rich of timbric tension and restless sonorities; Karajan was able to show a perfect understanding of the composition, his recording is incredibly powerful and captivating. You'll certainly like his recording of Honegger 3rd too, it's even more poignant and impressive.

Karajan has my favorite performances for both of them. I recently heard Gerard Schwarz and Seattle Symphony in the second symphony, not as good as Karajan but incredible sound quality.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Atriod on November 16, 2023, 05:10:13 AMKarajan has my favorite performances for both of them. I recently heard Gerard Schwarz and Seattle Symphony in the second symphony, not as good as Karajan but incredible sound quality.
I absolutely agree, Karajan's performances for 2nd Symphony and 3rd Symphony are my favourites too. I haven't listened to Schwarz, but apart from Karajan, I greatly appreciate both Dutoit and Baude in Honegger 2nd, they made very thrilling recordings.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 16, 2023, 11:06:06 AMI absolutely agree, Karajan's performances for 2nd Symphony and 3rd Symphony are my favourites too. I haven't listened to Schwarz, but apart from Karajan, I greatly appreciate both Dutoit and Baude in Honegger 2nd, they made very thrilling recordings.

Dutoit's Honegger has it's fine moments, luxuriating in the sound of the music, but I tend to find it not quite as incisive as I prefer it. My second choice for a cycle is Plasson. Karajan's recordings are remarkable, but only two. I find the forth and fifth symphonies equally interesting.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Atriod

I didn't really find this too great. The interpretation of Honegger's Symphony 2 was direct, forward and lacking in atmosphere that I associate with great performances. Chamber orchestra didn't add any new revelations either.

Cato

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 15, 2023, 05:12:12 AMI don't know about availability, but the cycle by Serge Baudo on Supraphon is outstanding. The piece Pastoral d'eta is a favorite of mine.

Yes, that set is a classic for the ages!  Highly recommended!

Quote from: Atriod on November 16, 2023, 05:10:13 AMKarajan has my favorite performances for both of them. I recently heard Gerard Schwarz and Seattle Symphony in the second symphony, not as good as Karajan but incredible sound quality.

It is hard to compete with Herbert von Karajan.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 16, 2023, 11:58:56 AMDutoit's Honegger has it's fine moments, luxuriating in the sound of the music, but I tend to find it not quite as incisive as I prefer it. My second choice for a cycle is Plasson. Karajan's recordings are remarkable, but only two. I find the forth and fifth symphonies equally interesting.
I don't know Plasson in Honegger's symphonies, but I have his DG recording of some of the orchestral works, quite mesmerizing.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Leo K.

I am now listening to Karajan's DG account of Symphony No.3 "Symphonie Liturgique", wow, where has this been my whole life?!

Cato

Not to be forgotten is the great Ernest Ansermet!

Unfortunately, no video of #3 is available.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)