The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Max Reger(1873-1916)

<< < (2/63) > >>

Dundonnell:

--- Quote from: Superhorn on November 01, 2008, 09:43:35 AM ---  I wish I knew Reger's music better; he is definitely a composer I would like to explore. I have an excellent recording on Berlin Classics of the Hiller variations with Konwitschny and the Leipzig Gewandhaus orchestra, and a Naxos CD of some of his short piano works played by French pianist Jean Martin, which I like.
  I have also heard the BIS recording of the piano concerto and  several other recordings. I don't remember the name of the pianist, but the conductor is Leif Segerstam. Rudolf Serkin also recorded it with Ormandy and the Philadelphia orchestra lonf ago; I have no idea whether this has been issued on CD.
   I don't believe Reger ever wrote any symphonies; this is puzzling. Perhaps he would have if he had lived longer.

--- End quote ---

The pianist on the BIS disc is Love Derwinger who also recorded the Grieg and the Stenhammer 1st Piano Concerto for that company.

Serkin's performance is on a Sony CD but is relatively difficult to find and expensive.

Sydney Grew:
Some of Reger's best Productions are choral. May we especially recommend Die Nonnen (The Nuns) opus 112 with large orchestra?

The Hundredth Psalm is pretty good too.

Here is the Composer while yet a Youth; what a distinctive Hair-style he sported!

Herman:
I have always liked Reger's late chamber music. The string quartets from nr 3 onwards, the clarinte quintet, there's a great string sextet too, if I recall, and a beautiful violin sonata.

My experience however is mentioning Reger isn't the best way to make friends and influence people. His fugal finales can be punishing.

Dundonnell:

--- Quote from: Herman on November 03, 2008, 08:34:54 AM ---I have always liked Reger's late chamber music. The string quartets from nr 3 onwards, the clarinte quintet, there's a great string sextet too, if I recall, and a beautiful violin sonata.

My experience however is mentioning Reger isn't the best way to make friends and influence people. His fugal finales can be punishing.

--- End quote ---

Oh dear! So starting this thread has not done wonders for my social life? :) :)

bwv 1080:

--- Quote from: Herman on November 03, 2008, 08:34:54 AM ---I have always liked Reger's late chamber music. The string quartets from nr 3 onwards, the clarinte quintet, there's a great string sextet too, if I recall, and a beautiful violin sonata.

--- End quote ---

Welcome back Herman

I would recommend for anyone this as a first foray into Reger's piano music - if you wind up not liking the Reger, there is a stunning performance of Schumann's Humoreske:

http://www.naxosdirect.com/title/8.220408

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version