Max Reger(1873-1916)

Started by Dundonnell, October 27, 2008, 03:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: schnittkease on May 09, 2019, 09:03:08 AM
Admittedly, I haven't heard the Gerhardt, but Erling Blöndal Bengtsson on Danacord makes a great case for Op. 131c. His interpretation is similar to how one might approach Bach's own suites: less rubato, taut phrasing, and no semblance of the overblown Romanticism that cellists often bring to Reger. True, most of his works require such treatment, but in the solo string works (where he is far more conservative) it seems less appropriate.

The coupling on Danacord is Ysaÿe's Op. 28; Gerhardt is great as it includes the four sonatas.

My initial take is that Gerhardt does not approach the suites from a romantic perspective. The Sonatas are another matter. I have not listened to them, except for a quick sampling of the first track, the beginning of the first sonata. It was like a fire hose of romanticism aimed at me, which is what is required, I take it. :)

André

I have the solo cello suites by Guido Schiffen and the sonatas on the CPO set. I can't say if they are too romantic or just enough, but I like both, especially the solo suites.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

This time I listened to all three Suites for Cello Unaccompanied. Perhaps being a little more familiar with the musical argument helped be get passed my preconceptions of Reger. They really struck me as fine works, clever and melodic with engaging passage work. Gerhardt acquits himself well and the recording is excellent.

[asin]B0012Y1HIC[/asin]

The release alternates Cello and Piano Sonatas with the suites, but I elected not to follow that scheme because the idea of juxtaposing hyper-romantic sonatas with neo-baroque sonatas didn't appeal to me. Probably I'll go on to the sonatas next.

kyjo

I've been discovering some gems in Reger's output recently. Sure, there may be some passages in his music which teeter on the "academic", but there's also material of great inspiration and appeal.
One of my greatest discoveries has been the beautiful orchestral song Der Einsiedler, which in its subtly shifting harmonies and lush textures is a delicious slice of Austro-Germanic late-romanticism at its best: https://youtu.be/T_OwMA4PlJs
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 12, 2019, 10:01:00 AM
I've been discovering some gems in Reger's output recently. Sure, there may be some passages in his music which teeter on the "academic", but there's also material of great inspiration and appeal.
One of my greatest discoveries has been the beautiful orchestral song Der Einsiedler, which in its subtly shifting harmonies and lush textures is a delicious slice of Austro-Germanic late-romanticism at its best: https://youtu.be/T_OwMA4PlJs

Sounds like I'm going to have to get to listening to some Reger! :)

vandermolen

The Bocklin Pictures remain my favourite and certainly 'The Old Violinist' and the 'Isle of the Dead', an interesting and equally moving alternative to Rachmaninov's take on the work. I'm afraid that I do find much of his other output rather 'academic' but should listen to more.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on May 12, 2019, 12:48:47 PM
The Bocklin Pictures remain my favourite and certainly 'The Old Violinist' and the 'Isle of the Dead', an interesting and equally moving alternative to Rachmaninov's take on the work. I'm afraid that I do find much of his other output rather 'academic' but should listen to more.

I should revisit those pieces, but for Reger the general rule is the smaller the ensemble the more I like it. The suites for unaccompanied cello, great. The cello and piano sonatas, one instrument too many. :)

Herman

in that case, check out the viola suites.

schnittkease

Quote from: Herman on May 12, 2019, 05:15:17 PM

Good call. Those are Tabea Zimmermann's stomping grounds.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Herman on May 12, 2019, 05:15:17 PM

Oh, I saw the opus numbers and assumed they were the same suites, transcribed for viola. :)

schnittkease

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 12, 2019, 09:25:59 PM
Oh, I saw the opus numbers and assumed they were the same suites, transcribed for viola. :)

Yeah, Op. 131 is like four opuses (oppi?) in one!

vandermolen

Many thanks for the suggestions which I would like to explore.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 12, 2019, 01:32:37 PM
I should revisit those pieces, but for Reger the general rule is the smaller the ensemble the more I like it. The suites for unaccompanied cello, great. The cello and piano sonatas, one instrument too many. :)

Not a bad call. I prefer the string trios to the string quartets.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: schnittkease on May 12, 2019, 09:29:47 PM
Yeah, Op. 131 is like four opuses (oppi?) in one!

I discovered I have them! Imai on BIS. Also the solo violin sonatas, Mathe on Dorian. Turns out I have a lot of Reger. I think I'll stick with Chamber music for now.

On another note, I continued with the Cello Sonatas, but jumped ahead to #4. Much better! Much greater clarity of texture and melodic interest. I think my lack of engagement with the first cello sonata was an issue of Early vs Late Reger.  The later works have a touch of classicism that works well.

Maestro267

Gradually working my way through the 11-disc Brilliant box-set "Reger Collection" which I picked up on Friday. While I see the accusations of "academia", to me there are a few hooks that grabbed me in the music, particularly in the Variations sets. Far more so than, say, Max Bruch's symphonies which didn't grab me at all.

schnittkease

I'd say that Reger's variations are his single greatest body of work—one that can rival Brahms and Schumann. A cursory glance at his middle-late output shows that he was fond of the form; there are many (near-)masterpieces here.

- Variations and Fugue on an Original Theme, op. 73
- Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Bach, op. 81
- Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Beethoven, op. 86
- Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Johann Adam Hiller, op. 100
- Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Mozart, op. 132
- Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Telemann, op. 134

kyjo

I agree about the mastery of the sets of variations, particularly the Mozart and Hiller ones. It seems to me that Reger's orchestral music is generally more immediately appealing and less dense than his chamber music. I haven't heard an orchestral work of his I haven't liked (granted, I haven't tried the gargantuan violin and piano concerti yet), but most of the chamber works I've heard are a
bit impenetrable. Though, to be honest, I'm not as familiar with his chamber works as I am with his orchestral ones.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SonicMan46

Well, this Reger thread seems to get periodically rejuvenated!  ;D

At the moment, I'm re-evaluating my Max collection, just a dozen and a half CDs - last few days, I've been listening to the ones below - enjoy all of these works, although the Mozart/Hiller Naxos recording has received some 'bad press' (several reviews attached) - I'd probably do at least 4* on Amazon but see no other offerings w/ these works on a single disc - any suggestions?   Dave :)

P.S. just perusing Reger on Amazon, a LOT of boxes have appeared since my last look (likely years ago!) - just curious what our 'Reger Fans' are doing w/ their collections currently?

Maestro267

Well, I picked up the 11-disc Brilliant set at some point in 2019, and while it's not a set I dive into regularly, I do really enjoy it when I'm in the mood. The orchestral variations are all wonderful, especially the Mozart. Which says something as I'm not a massive fan of Mozart personally. Mozart dressed up in Romantic colours though I can deal with.

Jo498

As there was an anniversary 2016 a bunch of boxes were created or re-issued. Hardly any new recordings, I believe. Cpo boxed their recordings of the accompanied violin and cello sonatas that had been oop but I had the cello already complete and found two discs of the violin sonatas enough. For the orchestral or mixed boxes I also had already "too much" of the ingredients. Becker's box with all piano works was also re-issued by a cheap label but again I was not sufficiently enthusiastic to get the whole thing. Reger had a huge output and it is surprisingly well covered. There are roughly two (mostly) complete recordings of the orchestral works; one on Eterna/Berlin/Brilliant and the other one on Koch/schwann that was boxed unter the DG label (Universal owns the recordings, I guess). There are at least three available ones of the string quartets (Danish/cpo, Drolc/DG, Mannheim/MDG) and MDG has also lots of the mixed chamber music.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal