Carl Reinecke

Started by JoshLilly, May 18, 2007, 11:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

A much-loved Brahmsian-circle composer ... don't look for him for 20th century experimentation - just solid craftmanship.   I was quite chuffed to find this one still in the shrink-wrap around 1973 or so ... and the Vanguard surface was surprisingly quiet.  I find it superior to Galway's take on this concerto.  A Romantic, civilized piece from the German composer, completely unaware (in 1908) that Europe was about to be torn apart.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Leo K.

I am really enjoying his string quartets on CPO, as well as the Piano Concerto No.1 (CPO), can't wait to hear more! His music and time period is very interesting to me and I love to explore composers from this era.

Symphonic Addict

If you thought the Piano Concerto No. 1 was good, you'll probably love the Piano Concertos 3 and 4 much more, let alone his other concertos (for cello, violin, harp and flute, respectively).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Leo K.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 22, 2022, 11:08:57 AMIf you thought the Piano Concerto No. 1 was good, you'll probably love the Piano Concertos 3 and 4 much more, let alone his other concertos (for cello, violin, harp and flute, respectively).

Wow, the No.2 and No.3 are fantastic! Just my cup of tea. I now have the Piano Trios, Harp and Flute Concertos, and Violin Concerto next to listen to.

Brian

Has anyone heard the serenade for string orchestra? I have an opportunity to see it live at a concert in Dallas in February. (It is paired with the Elgar Introduction and Allegro and Vaughan Williams "Dives and Lazarus").

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Leo K. on November 23, 2022, 06:51:36 AMWow, the No.2 and No.3 are fantastic! Just my cup of tea. I now have the Piano Trios, Harp and Flute Concertos, and Violin Concerto next to listen to.

Very good, enjoy the works. I have yet to give the piano trios a listen.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2022, 11:17:51 AMHas anyone heard the serenade for string orchestra?

Yes, a nice piece. You can find it on YT.  I have the CPO and Brilliant Classics recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=REINECKE+-+Serenade+for+strings-Rzeszow+Philharmonic+Orchestra
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 22, 2022, 11:08:57 AMIf you thought the Piano Concerto No. 1 was good, you'll probably love the Piano Concertos 3 and 4 much more, let alone his other concertos (for cello, violin, harp and flute, respectively).

The Cello Concerto has the most wonderful opening (a surprisingly exotic main theme!) but I recall the work became less interesting as it progressed. Then again, the only available recording is far from ideal. The violin and harp concerti are outstanding, and I have fond memories of his PC no. 3. His symphonies have not impressed me, tbh.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Leo K.

The more I listen to his works, whether it be chamber or orchestra, the melodies really reveal themselves. He really does bring on the tunes at times.

W.A. Mozart

What do you think about the first piano concerto?

Klaus Hellwig, piano
Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie conducted by Alun Francis

SonicMan46

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on May 17, 2023, 06:58:41 AMWhat do you think about the first piano concerto?

Klaus Hellwig, piano
Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie conducted by Alun Francis

Hello again - Carl Reinecke obviously is not getting much mileage in his thread (only 2 pages since 2007!), but I own about 14 CDs and enjoy much of his music, esp. the chamber works.  As to the Piano Concerto No. 1, comments have been made by several posters already, so take a look.  However, I decided to put my CPO disc of the work on for a listen and am enjoying - attached are a few reviews that I could find w/ a rather scathing attack by the Fanfare reviewer (Leslie Gerber) - but quoted below are David Johnson's comments on Piano Concs. 1/2 from another Reinecke review - I'd have to agree w/ him concerning the quality of the works (also, well liked w/ some decent reviews on Amazon).  SO, add your thoughts to the thread and maybe it will go to 3 pages!  ;D   Dave

Quote"I have already expressed my admiration of the two Reinecke piano concertos. Listening to them again—and I have re-listened to them often since acquiring them in 1973—I am more convinced than ever that they are the best of this composer's works yet to appear on recordings, better even than the delightful flute concerto, which has been recorded by half a dozen different performers. Both works are slightly under half an hour in length, they are rich in melodic invention and variety, beautifully scored (the use of solo strings is more prominently highlighted in the CD version), and they never outstay their welcome." David Johnson, Fanfare - comments on another performance

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 17, 2023, 10:56:07 AMHello again - Carl Reinecke obviously is not getting much mileage in his thread (only 2 pages since 2007!), but I own about 14 CDs and enjoy much of his music, esp. the chamber works.  As to the Piano Concerto No. 1, comments have been made by several posters already, so take a look.  However, I decided to put my CPO disc of the work on for a listen and am enjoying - attached are a few reviews that I could find w/ a rather scathing attack by the Fanfare reviewer (Leslie Gerber) - but quoted below are David Johnson's comments on Piano Concs. 1/2 from another Reinecke review - I'd have to agree w/ him concerning the quality of the works (also, well liked w/ some decent reviews on Amazon).  SO, add your thoughts to the thread and maybe it will go to 3 pages!  ;D   Dave

Yes, I agree: very nice!

Leo K.

Reinecke's First Piano Concerto is a musical gem that offers a glimpse into the world of Brahms' contemporaries. This composition showcases Reinecke's distinctive voice as a composer and demonstrates his mastery of the Romantic era.

The concerto (indeed all his piano concertos) skillfully weave together rich harmonies, memorable but thoughtfully constructed themes, and intricate orchestration, in his own modest way. His concertos reveal his artistry, shedding light on a lesser-known composer who deserves appreciation for his contribution to the musical landscape of the time.

For me, one of the intriguing aspects of Reinecke's First Piano Concerto (or even his works in general) is its historical context. As a slightly older contemporary of Brahms, Reinecke shares the musical influences of the time.