Contemporary American Composers and the Symphony Public

Started by mahlertitan, May 18, 2007, 02:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

It says:

Gerard Schwarz, music director of the highly regarded Seattle Symphony, shares his expertise and music. Schwarz, who graduated from the Juilliard School of Music, is one of the most recorded conductors in the world.

Really? As compared to whom?

karlhenning

As compared to a great many conductors who are less recorded.

mahlertitan

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 18, 2007, 04:11:33 PM
It says:

Gerard Schwarz, music director of the highly regarded Seattle Symphony, shares his expertise and music. Schwarz, who graduated from the Juilliard School of Music, is one of the most recorded conductors in the world.

Really? As compared to whom?

go to naxos, and type in "Gerard Schwarz", you are going to find lots of recordings that he has done, mainly on American composers.

karlhenning

Especially, but by no means exclusively, Hovhaness.

karlhenning

Heck, if all he had done was record the entire Hovhaness catalogue, he would easily qualify as one of the most recorded conductors in the world  :D

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2007, 09:45:26 AM
Heck, if all he had done was record the entire Hovhaness catalogue, he would easily qualify as one of the most recorded conductors in the world  :D
is all of his stuff even recorded?

speaking of prolific symphonists, i wonder how much of Segerstam is even recorded.......

Quote180 Symphonies (updated: April 10th, 2007)
30 String quartets
11 Violin concertos
8 Cello concertos
they must all be short.....

foxandpeng

So, prolific can't necessarily always mean 'good', right? Wordsworth wrote a shedload of poetry, some of which is stunning, and the rest probably deserves to be on an advert for the British bank/building society, Nationwide.

Unless I have it wrong, and Segerstam, Hovhaness and the likes of Aho are the contemporary equivalents of Handel?

EDIT - Or Haydn, even...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy