Name this tune

Started by WG, May 18, 2007, 03:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WG

I have this music in casette, but don't know the name, in order to buy it in cd.
It was played in a movie picture named "Hot Millions"-1968-Peter Ustinov and Maggie Smith.
Sample attached.
Thanks, and regards.
WG

uffeviking

It's either something composed especially for the movie or it is for our Mozart, Haydn, et al experts so answer. Sorry!  :)

Black Knight

www.imdb.com lists the songs "This Time" (by Laurie Johnson) and Capriccio Italien op.45 by Tchaikovsky as soundtrack for "hot millions".

WG

Quote from: uffeviking on May 18, 2007, 08:34:21 PM
It's either something composed especially for the movie or it is for our Mozart, Haydn, et al experts so answer. Sorry!  :)
Please excuse my bad English, and please confirm if:
1st) you suppose that this piece was specially created for the movie
2nd) you think it could be Mozart's
3rd) or it could be Haydn's
Thank you for your help.

uffeviking

Most important: Please do not apologise for what you say is bad English! Members of GMG come from every corner of the world and very often English is their second language.  - It is in my case! - :)

I believe the post above yours by 'Black Knight' gives you the answer.  :)

WG

Quote from: uffeviking on May 19, 2007, 05:31:25 PM
Most important: Please do not apologise for what you say is bad English! Members of GMG come from every corner of the world and very often English is their second language.  - It is in my case! - :)

I believe the post above yours by 'Black Knight' gives you the answer.  :)
I downloaded Capriccio Italien, and it is not the piece I am looking for. The other piece ("This time", by Laurie Johnson) is a song, so I think it is not also (but I have to mention that I could not find/listen "This time" yet).

Que

"This time" does sounds awfully familiar - like some adaptation of an (Italian) baroque concerto?

Q

Mozart

Quote from: uffeviking on May 18, 2007, 08:34:21 PM

No way thats Mozart or Haydn. Did we listen to the same clip?

eclassical

The music score of the film is credited to Laurie Johnson:

http://www.lauriejohnson.co.uk/lj_biog.htm

Anyone can confirm that the clip could be composed by him?

Or is it a "classical" piece arranged by him?

The arrangement sounds modern/popular/easy listening to me.

BachQ

Quote from: eclassical on May 20, 2007, 12:16:37 AM
Or is it a "classical" piece arranged by him?

If it was a classical piece composed by someone else, it would (almost certainly) be credited @ IMDB.COM . . . . . . . So it is likely NOT an arrangement . . . . . . .

WG

Dear People,
Yesterday, I have sent the clip to the firm that apparently manages copyrights of Mr. Laurie Johnson, asking them if that music is from him. (info@bucksmusicgroup.co.uk)
(I have not received any response yet).
I send another part of the piece.
Thanks, and regards.

WG

Dear People,
I wanted to inform you that I have received some news about this search.
Mr. Simon Platz, from Bucksmusicgroup.com responded to my request.
He thinks that the piece is part of a Haydn concerto that they used when they filmed the movie picture.
He also mentioned that Maggie Smith was the flautist, and Peter Ustinov the conductor.
So the search is narrower now.
We'll keep searching! ;-)
Thanks, and kind regards.

mahlertitan

well the easiest way to solve this problem is go to Naxosmusiclibrary.com and listen through the complete works of haydn.

WG

I have been listening fragments in eclassical.com, but I will also follow your suggestion.
Thanks, and regards.

mahlertitan

Quote from: WG on June 05, 2007, 06:37:53 AM
I have been listening fragments in eclassical.com, but I will also follow your suggestion.
Thanks, and regards.

good luck, it's gonna take some time though.

Steve

Quote from: MahlerTitan on June 05, 2007, 06:59:58 AM
good luck, it's gonna take some time though.

It's definately not Haydn or Mozart.

Mozart

Quote from: Steve on June 05, 2007, 10:11:46 AM
It's definately not Haydn or Mozart.
It doesnt have a classical ring to it. Hearing it again, it sounds vivaldish, exept I dont know his flute compositions. Anyone else agree?

*** listen from seconds 20-24 its really sound like something vivaldi does often.

Christo

Quote from: Que on May 19, 2007, 10:28:54 PM
"This time" does sounds awfully familiar - like some adaptation of an (Italian) baroque concerto?  Q

Agreed! Even I, not at all interested in Baroque music, know the tune all too well. It's some sort of special adaptation of Vivaldi or the like. Every Baroque lover knows it, no doubt.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mozart

Im still curious about this one...

I also take back what I said, I don't think it can be Vivaldi anymore. On clip 1 near the end I doubt Vivaldi would have written that wear note of of place.

Que

Quote from: Mozart on June 24, 2007, 06:11:06 AM
Im still curious about this one...

I also take back what I said, I don't think it can be Vivaldi anymore. On clip 1 near the end I doubt Vivaldi would have written that wear note of of place.

Agreed: it'd not Vivaldi. I was more thinking of composers like Geminiani and Corelli. But I'm not very familiar in those regions, and there is always the possibiliy of it being "in the style of". But I guess most people are even to lazy for that - so plagiarism is the most likely option  ;D

Q