Composers whose physical appearance resembles their musical style

Started by Brian, November 06, 2008, 08:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

knight66

When I was a teen, photos of the older Brahms made me assume his music would be boring. I stupidly stayed away for years. Then I heard the Clarinet Quintet and never looked back. Now, if there had been more exposure of his photos as a young man, I might have explored his music rather more quickly.

I think Stravinsky looks like he wrote his music.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Brian

Quote from: knight on November 06, 2008, 09:52:20 PM
When I was a teen, photos of the older Brahms made me assume his music would be boring. I stupidly stayed away for years. Then I heard the Clarinet Quintet and never looked back. Now, if there had been more exposure of his photos as a young man, I might have explored his music rather more quickly.
My grandmother drew a simply marvelous sketch of Brahms as a young man, when she herself was a young lady. In fact I've never seen a better representation of the young Brahms (and have no clue what her source material was).

Here is a slightly more obscure composer who looks like his music: Sir Charles Villiers Stanford.

knight66

Yes, I am afraid in that case, it does rather tell you what is in the tin.

Mike

Joe_Campbell

Brahms went from handsome young lad to thoughtful old man in an instant, if the photos are any indication! ;D

knight66

Dundonnell

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Hector on November 07, 2008, 05:29:00 AM
I think he inhabits a pub I frequent.

Mad as a lorry! ;D

Madness is relative. I wish there were more like him!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Keemun

I've often thought that Gustav Mahler looked like his music.

As did Anton Bruckner.

On the other hand, I don't think that Jean Sibelius much resembled his music.

Although in his later years he did resemble Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard.

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

Quote from: Keemun on November 08, 2008, 08:12:03 AM
Although in his later years he did resemble Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard.
Also, a turtle.

And I feel like Gershwin could be included in this topic:

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

There are so many wonderful photographs of Ralph Vaughan Williams but I really like this one-the humanity and the humour shine out :)

vandermolen

And here he is again. I think that Vaughan Williams 'looked like' his music:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I think that the granitic features of the older Sibelius go well with his music:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).