WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 03, 2016, 09:28:02 AMThe Dr. Loosen Auslese reminds me that I still have few bottles of Eitelsbacher Karthauserhofberg Riesling Auslese from the 1990 vintage. I should open one soon.

Quote from: The new erato on September 03, 2016, 10:06:33 AM
You should. A fine estate.

We drank a bottle tonight with dinner (halibut). Still vibrant and delicious although much sweeter than I imagined it would be at this age: 1990 Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Auslese:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Parsifal

Boy, if I described the swill I drink it would be like posting about my listening to "The Monkeys" on the Bach thread...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on September 22, 2016, 12:57:14 PM
Boy, if I described the swill I drink it would be like posting about my listening to "The Monkeys" on the Bach thread...

Mmmmm....swill. It can be good sometimes.

Sarge

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 22, 2016, 12:20:17 PM
We drank a bottle tonight with dinner (halibut). Still vibrant and delicious although much sweeter than I imagined it would be at this age: 1990 Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Auslese:
Sarge
Hot vintage perhaps? I find that Ausleses usualøly dry out to a significant degree after about 20 years, though sweetness levels can vary considerably..

Brian

The new erato

Visiting eith my brother in Trondheim this weekend, he is similsrly vinously afflicted  and has prromised a 1990 Pichon Comtesse de Lalande for dinner tomorrow.....😀

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Brian on September 22, 2016, 01:09:52 PM
Then you use the word "gluggable"!

OK, that's an interesting word, and reminds me of a question I've had for ages:

What technique is needed to pour wine from a freshly opened bottle into a glass (or decanter) in order to avoid the "GLUG GLUG GLUG!!" sound?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

North Star

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on September 24, 2016, 11:11:56 AM
OK, that's an interesting word, and reminds me of a question I've had for ages:

What technique is needed to pour wine from a freshly opened bottle into a glass (or decanter) in order to avoid the "GLUG GLUG GLUG!!" sound?
Cutting the bottle in half from below the neck should do it.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks. Do you suggest using a sledgehammer or chainsaw?

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

XB-70 Valkyrie

How about running over it in my new Chevy extended bed, twin cab, jacked-up, coal-rolling, dually bro-dozer (complete with "Harley Davidson Motorcycles"  and "Trump" stickers)?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on September 24, 2016, 06:49:58 AM
Visiting eith my brother in Trondheim this weekend, he is similsrly vinously afflicted  and has prromised a 1990 Pichon Comtesse de Lalande for dinner tomorrow.....😀

Again, I envy you. I've only had the estate's second wine: a case of the 1990 Réserve de la Comtesse I bought when Paulliacs were still affordable. Long gone now.

Tonight, with pasta, we drank a 2012 Chianti Classico from Fattoria Poggiopiano. Drank a half bottle of champagne for dessert: Augé pere & fils premier cru brut.

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on September 24, 2016, 11:38:33 AM
How about running over it in my new Chevy extended bed, twin cab, jacked-up, coal-rolling, dually bro-dozer (complete with "Harley Davidson Motorcycles"  and "Trump" stickers)?
I suppose pumping air in the bottle while you pour the wine should also work.

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 24, 2016, 11:38:52 AM
Again, I envy you. I've only had the the estate's second wine: a case of the 1990 Réserve de la Comtesse I bought when Paulliacs were still affordable. Long gone now.

Tonight, with pasta, we drank a 2012 Chianti Classico from Fattoria Poggiopiano. Drank a half bottle of champagne for dessert: Augé pere & fils premier cru brut.

Sarge
Bought a very long time ago by my brother as well. He got into wine 5 years before me and consequently has far more Bordeaux ready for drinking. I don't buy Bordeaux at current prices either, what I drink is old bottles, or wines in the wineclub where we share pours.

Sergeant Rock

We had slow cooked Lammhaxen (lamb knuckles or shanks or hocks...not sure what the difference is, if any) for dinner tonight. To drink with it, I unearthed our last bottle of 1995 Chateau du Tertre, a rather obscure fifth growth from Margaux. Unlike several other old cru classé Bordeaux we've had recently, this one was not yet over the hill. The tannins were gone, leaving a concentrated and silky smooth wine with hints of chocolate and mint.

Sarge

Brian

Two cheapies drunk last night in order to tolerate the presidential debates. They did their jobs.

The Tavel was quite strong (14.5%) and tasted it, but not in a bad way. We needed it.

SurprisedByBeauty

#morninglistening to #Schubert's 9th w/@MdLGrenoble @KonzerthausWien under #MarcMinkowski
... http://ift.tt/2dLFeoo

Celebrating the arrival of the newest member of the household, a wine fridge at last! Wohoo!

Also tasted several local wines on our recent circumnavigation (on bicycle) of Lake Constance. Wonderful way to get acquainted with the juice of the earth.

Brian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 05, 2016, 12:21:07 PM
Celebrating the arrival of the newest member of the household, a wine fridge at last! Wohoo!

Also tasted several local wines on our recent circumnavigation (on bicycle) of Lake Constance. Wonderful way to get acquainted with the juice of the earth.
That sounds like a fun little holiday! A wine fridge has been a necessity for me, due to my combination of tiny home (600 sq ft flat) and extremely hot climate (in months like July, even with air conditioning on, my rooms can get up to 78-80 F).

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on October 05, 2016, 12:34:15 PM
That sounds like a fun little holiday! A wine fridge has been a necessity for me, due to my combination of tiny home (600 sq ft flat) and extremely hot climate (in months like July, even with air conditioning on, my rooms can get up to 78-80 F).

What kind have you got?

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 14, 2016, 01:44:03 PM

#morninglistening to #Rameau w/@LesArtsFlo & #WilliamChristie in The Grand Motets. Gorgeou... http://ift.tt/2dq3bz2

There's wine involved here, because #morninglistening doesn't necessitate it be MY morning.

The wine involved is a 2015 Riesling vom Urgestein from one of our favorite Austrian "Weinviertel" region vineyards, Stift in Röschitz.
It's a vineyard for ambitious simple wines, if that makes sense. Like most everything in Austria, nowadays, it's quality. But it goes beyond that, for that region, making wines that are several steps above average quality while still, largely, below 10,- per bottle. (All but one, in fact.) Weinviertel is not my favorite region and it's not the hotbed of high-end quality that South-East Tyrol is, or the fruity-blooming deliciousness that the Wachau/Kremsthal offer, but this is excellent for staples. This specific wine, meanwhile, needs time, I think. The acidity isn't quite yet harmoniously coexisting with the rich fruit (apricot? gummy-bears?). But it might, before long... and I've noticed that it does better in a big glass, rather than a small one like, lazily, I'm drinking from right now.