WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

SonicMan46

Allan - better American restaurants are appearing in all cities - amazes me vs. 20+ yrs ago!

Tonight, LOML (Susan) made a Creole shrimp dish (wish there was twice the amount for me!  I missed lunch - one banana!), so tried the St. Supery '06 Sauvignon Blanc mentioned in one my previous posts - seems to have some 'oak' influences (see their Web Site, but can't find much there nor on the bottle label) - delicious wine but not as 'forward' w/ the fruit vs. the NZ Sauvignon Blanc listed in the same thread mentioned; at any rate, two excellent Sauvignon Blancs w/ different tastes - I like both, however, Susan seems attracted to the NZ 'fresh fruit' taste, really zesty!  ;D

MishaK

Hey kids. My wife and I will be travelling to San Francisco (my first time there!) the weekend after next for a friend's wedding in Marin county. We arrive Thursday midnight and leave in the evening of Monday. Friday evening and all of Saturday will be jam-packed with wedding-related activities, but we'd like to go visit some vineyards Sunday and/or Monday. We will have a rental car. Any places you guys can recommend that can be easily visited from there would be greatly appreciated. Also, scenic and tasty spots for getting lunch that matches the local wine would be great. Many thanks in advance.

SonicMan46

Quote from: O Mensch on May 01, 2007, 06:38:38 PM
Hey kids. My wife and I will be travelling to San Francisco (my first time there!)...... to go visit some vineyards Sunday and/or Monday. We will have a rental car. Any places you guys can recommend that can be easily visited from there would be greatly appreciated. Also, scenic and tasty spots for getting lunch that matches the local wine would be great. Many thanks in advance.

O Mensch - I've been to San Francisco many times, but not as often in recent years - last time was in '02 - setup a 'personal' wine tour for my wife combining some 'art' w/ wine tasting; started out at Domaine Carneros for a tour + champagne tasting; then headed into the Mayacamas Mtns. to visit the Hess Collection, which does have an art museum (not big but eclectic); up Highway 29 (main route through Napa Vly w/ plenty of potential stops!); lunched in St. Helena at a wonderful restaurant, but can't remember the name at the moment; then up toward Calistoga to visit Clos Pegase (great architecture) (again many other winery options along the way including a gondola up to the Sterling Winery); and finally back down toward Napa on my favorite road in the valley, Silverado Trail (a must drive!) - visited a few wineries, including Mumm Napa, which as a photography gallery.  Wonderful day!  :D

But, I've made many trips into the Napa Vly, Sonoma Region, and further north (Dry Crk Vly, Alexander Vly, etc.); so you'll really have to choose your interests.  Since this your first visit, I would either suggest a day in Napa Valley (which can be planned so many different ways) or a trip to the delightful town of Sonoma w/ visits to wineries around the town, such as Ravenswood and those in the lower Sonoma Valley, such as Arrowood, Kenwood, Ch. St. Jean, etc. - definitely pick up a recent quide book which will update the current restaurants (plenty of excellent choices) and discuss the wineries (I've not bought one in a half dozen years, so cannot provide a current recommendation, but the Frommer's book below looks quite good from the description, and just published).  Good luck, and please report back your activities!  ;) ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on May 01, 2007, 06:38:38 PM
Hey kids. My wife and I will be travelling to San Francisco (my first time there!) the weekend after next for a friend's wedding in Marin county. We arrive Thursday midnight and leave in the evening of Monday. Friday evening and all of Saturday will be jam-packed with wedding-related activities, but we'd like to go visit some vineyards Sunday and/or Monday. We will have a rental car. Any places you guys can recommend that can be easily visited from there would be greatly appreciated. Also, scenic and tasty spots for getting lunch that matches the local wine would be great. Many thanks in advance.

I can't offer anything, O. The last time I visited the San Francisco area was in the early 70s. I'm sure you'll have a great trip, though.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MishaK

Quote from: SonicMan on May 02, 2007, 09:20:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I got a different, more expanded Frommer's Guide. The day-by-day was a little to brief and I didn't like the format.

Harry

Cabernet-Merlot, from Lindemanns, excellent wine!

Sergeant Rock

Interesting article about the soaring cost of some wines, and who to blame:

http://www.slate.com/id/2161442/fr/flyout

Sarge

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 10, 2007, 06:38:26 AM
Interesting article about the soaring cost of some wines, and who to blame:

http://www.slate.com/id/2161442/fr/flyout

Sarge

Thanks. Not an entirely novel argument, though. Did you see the documentary "Mondovino" a few years ago? It made the same point (though also ridiculously villifying some larger producers, while glorifying supposedly salt-of-the-earth mom and pop operators). One gem of the film was footage of Parker deliriously deprived of self-critical faculties waxing lyrical how he, the little guy from Podunk USA, "democratized" wine by giving the blue blooded Frenchies a down to earth reality check from an ordinary guy as to the real quality of their production methods and the outdatedness of their "cru classé" classifications. Never mind that thanks to him the demos can no longer afford those wines.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on May 10, 2007, 07:42:38 AM
Thanks. Not an entirely novel argument, though.

You're right. The argument goes back at least twenty years. I recall people complaining about the increase in Bordeaux prices after Parker, almost alone at first, called the 82 Bordeaux vintage one of the greatest ever and gave several wines 100 points. When he was proved right, people suddenly took notice and began to think of him as an all-wise, all-knowing guru of wine. The 82s were the last year a friend of mine bought futures. He bought before the hype and got incredible prices for several top wines (including LĂ©oville-Las Cases). Alas, the good times ended, not coincidently, I think, with Parker's rise to pre-eminence.

Of course there have been many other factors too. I think the crucial element in the rise of Bordeaux prices was my retiring and buying a house with a cellar near perfect for storing and maturing wine. At last I could start a collection! And God saw what I was about to do and decided, no, he wasn't going to let me have reasonably priced Bordeaux.

"Why?" I asked Him, Job-like. And he answered:

BECAUSE I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD, CREATOR OF THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH AND MASTER OF ALL YOU SEE! I DON'T NEED A REASON!

In other words, the same reason he always gives when I get screwed  ;D

Sarge

SonicMan46

Quote from: O Mensch on May 10, 2007, 07:42:38 AM
Thanks. Not an entirely novel argument, though. Did you see the documentary "Mondovino" a few years ago? ......

Sarge - thanks for the link to the Slate article - Robert Parker's influence has certainly been phenomenal, and I agree w/ many of the negative comments on the use of the 100-point system made by the author.  As I've stated before, many of the wines (from Italy, France, & California) that I use to purchase are just no longer in my cellar because of the ridiculously escalated prices - it's just fermented grape juice, MY GOD!  ;D   So, will continue to look for value - and plenty out there to find!

O Mensch - yes, I saw that documentary, but may have turned it off?  The scene in his house w/ his dog(s) passing gas was just too much to endure!  ;) :)   I've subscribe to his Wine Advocate several times over the years, but no longer - did not always agree w/ his opinions, plus my current purchases have been 'narrowed' to certain countries (where the values are found!), and I no longer need a global assessment.   :D

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 10, 2007, 08:14:42 AM
Of course there have been many other factors too. I think the crucial element in the rise of Bordeaux prices was my retiring and buying a house with a cellar near perfect for storing and maturing wine. At last I could start a collection! And God saw what I was about to do and decided, no, he wasn't going to let me have reasonably priced Bordeaux.

"Why?" I asked Him, Job-like. And he answered:

BECAUSE I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD, CREATOR OF THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH AND MASTER OF ALL YOU SEE! I DON'T NEED A REASON!

In other words, the same reason he always gives when I get screwed  ;D

Also, God's name is Murphy.

Sergeant Rock

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on May 10, 2007, 08:23:00 AM

I've subscribe to his Wine Advocate several times over the years, but no longer - did not always agree w/ his opinions, plus my current purchases have been 'narrowed' to certain countries (where the values are found!), and I no longer need a global assessment.   :D

Yeah, those are some of the same reasons I let my subscription expire. I prefer leaner, meaner wines than Parker likes. Another reason: he began to ignore German wine. By that time I didn't need his advice anyway; it was just fun to read his opinions and see if his assessments of the vintner's personalities matched mine. I live among the great vintners and can sample their wines any time I want. I don't need no stinkin' wine critic  ;D

There are many things I like about him, though. He is more down-to-earth than many of the famous wine critics. He was one of the first critics outside of Germany to appreciate the new style of dry Riesling (Hugh Johnson still doesn't get it) and he featured and extolled many superb vintners the German critics had overlooked or ignored (Darting and Lingenfelder in the Pfalz, Lotzbeyer in the Nahe, to name just three).

Sarge

Sean

The only important thing about wine is how much alcohol there is in it and how fast it intoxicates. Not that I'm drinking right now.

MishaK

Quote from: Sean on May 10, 2007, 12:11:14 PM
The only important thing about wine is how much alcohol there is in it and how fast it intoxicates. Not that I'm drinking right now.

In that case, wine isn't exactly the weapon of choice.

Sean

Superstrong lager is really cheap over here- half a litre of 10% for 75pence/$1-40 down the shop: does the job.

SimonGodders

Heathen

Sergeant Rock

The only important thing about wine is how much alcohol there is in it and how fast it intoxicates.

Quote from: O Mensch on May 10, 2007, 12:17:49 PM
In that case, wine isn't exactly the weapon of choice.

Exactly.

Sean, may I suggest Old Grand-Dad instead?

At 114 proof, or 57% alcohol, it will get the job done four to five times quicker than wine.

Sarge

Sean

QuoteAt 114 proof, or 57% alcohol, it will get the job done four to five times quicker than wine.

Sarge

Can't beat that. (They do quarter bottles of some vodka-gin stuff 55% in China when I was there for a pittance.)