WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sforzando on July 30, 2008, 07:40:10 AM
OK, let me get some input from you wine aficionados. I'm co-hosting a medium-sized party on August 9 for 36...people, and I am buying the wine. These are not wine sophisticates; I just want some good but inexpensive wines. The food is being catered by a local Italian restaurant. Assuming 4 glasses per bottle, I am thinking of 7-8 bottles each red and white. I don't want to go over $200 in all, which means I'm looking for wines in the $10-12 range. And they should be easy to find in the New York City/Long Island area. Any suggestions?

Hello Sfz - assuming about a half bottle per 'wine-drinking' person is a good beginning (of course, if wine will be served  before & after dinner, then you might want a few more bottles on hand?).

Not sure if you want just 1 white & 1 red or several of each; the latter might be a better choice since you are likely to have quite a 'mix' of people w/ different wine tastes.  My first suggestion would be to checkout the local wines from Long Island, esp. the merlots & chardonnays (my in-laws have house in Montauk, which we no longer visit much, but I use to sample a lot of LI wines) - I've not really kept up on these offerings, so you'll need some advice from a reputable wine merchant.

For whites, the grape varietals to consider might be:  Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio/Gris, or Chardonnay; the Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand are tart & excellent for summer drinking (I recommend a few '07 a couple of posts back which are currently in my cellar) - California & Washington State also make fine, inexpensive examples; for Pinot Grigio & Chardonnay, you may have to see what is available in your area (but as one example, the current vintage of Columbia Crest Chardonnay Grand Estates is excellent value).

For reds, the grape varietals to consider could be:  Cabernet, Merlot (or mixtures), Zinfandel, Syrah/Shiraz, or Malbec from Argentina - Zinfandel from California (the current Seghesio is excellent); Shiraz from Australia always interesting; again, advice from a wine merchant & some personal tasting before purchasing may be helpful; the Columbia Crest Merlot Grand Estates is always a good, pleasant bargain.

Of course, you could also offer a domestic sparkling wine or an Asti Spumante from Italy (which is much lighter in alcohol and sweet).  I could provide dozens of more specific suggestions but just not sure 'what' is available in your area; hopefully, some of the 'wine lovers' from around NYC & environs will reply - good luck.  Dave  :D

(poco) Sforzando

Thank you, Dave. A good deal to digest here.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

SonicMan46

For those who may be visiting the Carolina Mountains and Piedmont, I just returned from a too short trip to Asheville, NC (posted in the vacation & eating threads, also) - we stayed at the Inn on Biltmore Estate; the Biltmore Winery is worth a visit (and the most visited winery in the USA!) - the tasting room is huge (pic below of just part of the room) & gift shop quite impressive.

Biltmore Winery is somewhat different from other NC wineries in offering a huge assortment of wines made from both local & out-of-state grapes (the labels reveal the obvious differences, i.e. American vs. North Carolina) - the wines vary considerably in price w/ a good number of 'premium' ones being made - I probably sampled well over a half dozen (in the winery & at the 3 dinners we had @ the Inn).

On the way back and just off I-40 in Mocksville is the RayLen Winery, which is located in the only North Carolina AVA (American Viticultural Area), i.e. Yadkin River Valley (very broadly defined) - wineries in this area typically offer wines made from their own grapes or grapes purchased w/i the AVA - currently, many of these wines are not that good but have continued to show improvement over the years, and some are excellent, so at least worth a try & a tasting, if you're visiting the area and enjoy wine.

Other wineries in and around Winston-Salem that I could recommend are: Shelton, Childress, & Westbend, but there are plenty to visit (now over 60 in the state) - CLICK HERE for a listing!  :D

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: SonicMan on July 30, 2008, 08:47:58 AM
Hello Sfz - assuming about a half bottle per 'wine-drinking' person is a good beginning (of course, if wine will be served  before & after dinner, then you might want a few more bottles on hand?).

Well, tonight's the night, so I went through this thread in detail and consulted with the fellow at the wine store. This is the haul:

3 bottles Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc @$14.50
3 bottles Columbia Crest Merlot 2005 @$11
3 bottles Falesco Vitiano Rosso @$10
3 bottles Ste. Michelle Chardonnay @$10
3 bottles Devil's Marble (Australia) - 2 Shiraz, 1 Chardonnay @$7
1 1.5ML bottle Yago Sangria @$8 for those who want their wine sweet

Grand total: about $165 plus $14 tax. We'll see how these turn out.

toledobass

Quote from: Sforzando on August 09, 2008, 10:54:06 AM
Well, tonight's the night, so I went through this thread in detail and consulted with the fellow at the wine store. This is the haul:

I think it should turn out well!  Looks like a good selection for your guests.

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sforzando on August 09, 2008, 10:54:06 AM

Sfz - nice varied selection - good luck & hope all enjoy the wine; I'd be very curious about the reactions of the NZ Kim Crawford wine (a perennial fav of mine!) and those from Washington State - have not sampled the others.  Please report back - thanks.  Dave  :D

uffeviking

The Columbia Crest Merlot is very dry, caution your guests. I love it, but then my favourite Italian - South Tirolean - wine is the Lagrein Kretzer, rumoured to get blown out of your glass if you stand in a drafty room.  ;D

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: uffeviking on August 09, 2008, 07:44:15 PM
The Columbia Crest Merlot is very dry, caution your guests.

Too late! they drank it uncautioned. But I'm pleased to say all selections went off quite well. The KC from NZ is very light, crisp, and apply; it did not exactly match the Italian food we had ordered but was fine before dinner to accompany the nuts and crudités. The wine that got the most comments was the Devil's Marble shiraz from Australia (3 for $21)! I decided to bring only one bottle in case it bombed; instead people were disappointed there wasn't more. I didn't get a chance to try it myself but I have my other bottle on the rack waiting for me. And Stew Leonard's (the huge wine store in Farmingdale, Long Island) is only 10 minutes away.

uffeviking

Congratulations to a very successful party! Your time now to retreat to your music room for the well deserved relaxing rest with your bottle of Australian Shiraz and your favourite music. Wonder what it'll be!  8)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: uffeviking on August 11, 2008, 07:08:23 PM
Congratulations to a very successful party! Your time now to retreat to your music room for the well deserved relaxing rest with your bottle of Australian Shiraz and your favourite music. Wonder what it'll be!  8)

Something by Elliott Carter, or a late LvB quartet.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sforzando on August 11, 2008, 03:37:17 PM
Too late! they drank it uncautioned. But I'm pleased to say all selections went off quite well. The KC from NZ is very light, crisp, and apply; it did not exactly match the Italian food we had ordered but was fine before dinner to accompany the nuts and crudités. The wine that got the most comments was the Devil's Marble shiraz from Australia (3 for $21)! I decided to bring only one bottle in case it bombed; instead people were disappointed there wasn't more........

Sfz - congrats on the party & your (and the merchant's) wine selection - Shiraz from Australia is a favorite red of mine (probably have a dozen different ones in the basement of various ages - the better ones will certainly 'improve' w/ age and lay down a sediment, needing decanting). 

The NZ Sauvignon Blancs continue to be a favorite white, but you are right - saucy red and/or spicy Italian food would not be my first choice -  ;) :D  I do have them w/ fish & foul, and the acidity and apply tartness is quite a nice combination w/ Chinese or Japanese food, such as sushi (I do prefer beer w/ those dishes, but give on of those NZ whites a try some day) - Dave

uffeviking

Time to resurrect this topic and I'll do it with a long list, expecting long advisory replies.

I had noticed empty slots in my wine rack and since there was nothing too urgent on my to-do list, I decided to go shopping in my favorite supermarket. Don't gasp, please, it is this small town's best place to find the best selection of wines. It was my lucky day because a wholesaler was restocking the racks and when he saw me standing there, eyes roving from shelve to shelve, he offered advise. I told him I have been wedded to Kiona's Lemberger for years now, love it, still have a big supply, but I feel a change is needed. So he helped me change! Lots of free and excellent advise, plus history of certain wines and more than an hour of pleasant activities. 

2006 Snoqualmie Merlot - Paterson Washington, $6.79
2004 Sawtooth Merlot - Caldwell, Idaho, $10.79
2004 Chateau Faire Le Pont Pinot Noir, - Wenatchee, WA. $24.99 **
2005 Syrah, Saint Laurent, - Rock Island, WA. $21.99 **
2006 Bridgeview Pinot Noir - Cave Junction, OR. $14.99
2004 Firesteed Pinot Gris - Rickreall, OR. $10.99
2001 Trimbach Pinot Gris - Ribeauville, Alsace, $15.92
2004 Trimbach Gewurztraminer, Ribeauville, Alsace, $18.99
2006 Beaujolais-Villages, Louis Jadot, Beaune, France, $11.39
2006 Beaujolais-Villages, Georges Dubeuf, Romaneche-Thorins, France, $10.99
2006 Vouvray Chenin Blanc, Barton & Guestier, Touraine Loire Valley, $10.99
2006 Pinot Grigio, Villa Pozzi, Verolanuova, Italy, $7.99
2006 Pinot Grigio, Mezzacorona, Italy, $7.99
2006 Malbec, Conquista, Mendoza, Argentina, $8.99
2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendoza, Argentina, $9.99
(have two of the Beaujolais, makes it 16 bottles)

As I typed the prizes I now realise that the two most expensive ones are from wineries ten minutes drive from my house! The rest of the prizes are all surprisingly low - I did not pay attention to the prices as I selected, or as the wholesaler put them in my cart; flying blind!

How did I do?  ???

uffeviking

Forgot: Total $198.03, that sum includes the tax and the special discount if you buy more than 4 bottles!  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: uffeviking on August 20, 2008, 02:14:52 PM
Forgot: Total $198.03, that sum includes the tax and the special discount if you buy more than 4 bottles!  :D

Hi Lis:D

Boy, looks like you purchased a great selection of a variety of wines and at great prices!  Congrats!

Now, you need to invite some of your best GMG 'wine drinkers' to your place for an overnight ORGIE!  ;D

To start the invitation list, I would suggest myself to start, then Andre & Sarge - we three seem to frequent this thread often - but, there may be plenty of others - looking forward to the experience!  ;D

But, on a more 'serious' note - I've enjoyed a number of these wines, and can imagine what most of the others will taste like - so please tell us your 'tasting' experiences; for myself, I've decided to get into more of the Alsatian wines, if I can find them locally @ a good price - Dave  :D  :-*

uffeviking

Excellent idea, a Wine Orgie. When I open the first sample I'll run up the photos of my guests on the monitor background - I think I saved them on file from that other Diner topic - and we'll proceed from there. Prost!

Dave, you mentioned Sarge and I realised there is not one German wine in my collection. He won't like that at all. There was no German wine in the entire store inventory! Maybe I should have a talk with the manager!  $:)

MishaK

Quote from: uffeviking on August 20, 2008, 06:30:30 PM
Excellent idea, a Wine Orgie. When I open the first sample I'll run up the photos of my guests on the monitor background - I think I saved them on file from that other Diner topic - and we'll proceed from there. Prost!

Dave, you mentioned Sarge and I realised there is not one German wine in my collection. He won't like that at all. There was no German wine in the entire store inventory! Maybe I should have a talk with the manager!  $:)

There's no need for German wine when you can get perfectly great Rieslings and Pinot Noirs from Oregon and Washington. I've always especially enjoyed Seven Hills and Ransom.

SonicMan46

Lis - I would guess that Sarge would be quite happy w/ your selection!  :D  You do have some Alsatian wines & Pinot Gris, and from his previous responses, reds seem to be in his inventory!  ;) :)

Plus, you might need to add O Mensch to your 'invitation list' - seems to be an enthusiast of many of these grapes! Dave

uffeviking

Quote from: O Mensch on August 22, 2008, 05:23:56 PM
There's no need for German wine when you can get perfectly great Rieslings and Pinot Noirs from Oregon and Washington. I've always especially enjoyed Seven Hills and Ransom.

Thank you very much! Now all I have to do is find those two wines in a local store.

Or: One would think I can find any wines I wish to sample by simply getting in my car and driving around the immediate neighbourhood! I found this map, look at Eastmont Avenue, I live two blocks West of it and I am literally surrounded by FIVE wineries!  8)

http://www.winesnw.com/north_central_wa_wenatchee_map.html

Sergeant Rock

Dave, you mentioned Sarge and I realised there is not one German wine in my collection. He won't like that at all.

No problem. If I'm invited to the orgy, I'll bring a few bottles with me: Christmann, Bürklin-Wolf, Reichsrat von Buhl, Basserman-Jordan: dry Pfälzer Riesling from the Mittelhaardt, decadent fruit bombs that will fit right in  ;D

There was no German wine in the entire store inventory!

That's a problem almost everywhere in the States outside the major metropolitan areas. And even where there is a decent selection of German wine, little to none is trocken. A pity because the stuff really is delicious.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

Quote from: O Mensch on August 22, 2008, 05:23:56 PM
There's no need for German wine when you can get perfectly great Rieslings and Pinot Noirs from Oregon and Washington.

Seriously? Quite different animals in my opinion (both Rieslings nd Pinots).