WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Finished off this bottle:

Had this with some grilled pork chops that had a garlic pepper rub.  Also some red and orange peppers stuffed with black beans, rice, and a bit of lime juice, which were also grilled in aluminum foil.  Not only a great tasting dinner, but one that had plenty of color and eye appeal.  The wine worked well, but enjoyed it with the salmon a bit more.  Back to the wine store this week for a brand new bottle.  Maybe I will try that Novas, Dave.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on March 22, 2009, 05:58:45 PM
......... Back to the wine store this week for a brand new bottle.  Maybe I will try that Novas, Dave.

Bill - yep, give those South American 'reds' a try; usually for $10-$20, you can get an excellent value red wine from Chile or Argentina - try the Malbecs from Argentian & the Cabernets - Carmeneres from Chile.  Two Chilean wineries that ship to my area are Concha y Toro (reallly a MEGA-company) & Casa Lapostolle; The Argentian wineries are many, but the 'biggest' that we see in NC are Norton, Alamos, & Terrazas - let us know your experience!  Dave

toledobass

I'll put in a second for the Concha Y Toro Casillero del Diablo Carmenere.  I like to get bottles of this stuff when I'm in the mood for a bigger red. Good thick bodied stuff without being overbearing. 

Allan 

bwv 1080

Tried a cheap Zin  - Deep Purple

Very sweet and somewhat flavorless, should have known from the weak 13.5% alcohol content

SonicMan46

Quote from: bwv 1080 on March 28, 2009, 03:09:45 PM
Tried a cheap Zin  - Deep Purple

Very sweet and somewhat flavorless, should have known from the weak 13.5% alcohol conten

Well, like I said before, you may have to up your 'cheap' level to $15 - a good red Zinfandel just is not 'sweet & flavorless' - try a current release of Seghesio - 2006 or 2007 (although a couple of years on an older vintage will mellow the wine,  like the one shown below) - my change your mind, but just a suggestion - Dave  :D

bwv 1080

Quote from: SonicMan on March 28, 2009, 03:35:00 PM
Well, like I said before, you may have to up your 'cheap' level to $15 - a good red Zinfandel just is not 'sweet & flavorless' - try a current release of Seghesio - 2006 or 2007 (although a couple of years on an older vintage will mellow the wine,  like the one shown below) - my change your mind, but just a suggestion - Dave  :D

Thanks,

That looks more like a $20-30 wine from whats on the internet.  At 15.5% the alcohol content is right though

Brünnhilde forever

You mean nobody has been drinking anything RED WHITE or OTHER since the 27th of March? I don't believe it!

There is a new, for me, and enjoyable red wine. The one and only decent restaurant in this town had been opened about three years ago by a an Ukrainian immigrant; redhead, vibrant, lively and very happy lady in her thirties. She introduced me a to a wine from Georgia: Mukuzani, pleasantly dry, more like a mellow Merlot, grown, produced and bottled in Kakheti, Georgia.

If you should ever get near a place selling Russian wines, look for that one, I recommend it highly!  :)

Daverz

Quote from: SonicMan on March 28, 2009, 03:35:00 PM
Well, like I said before, you may have to up your 'cheap' level to $15 - a good red Zinfandel just is not 'sweet & flavorless' - try a current release of Seghesio

At the same price level I'd recommend Rosenblum.  I get it at Trader Joes.

Right now I'm drinking Gabbiano Chianti, which has become a favorite.  From Costco's huge wine selection.

Bu

Quote from: Bogey on March 22, 2009, 05:58:45 PM
Finished off this bottle:

Had a bottle of that the other night with some pasta with marinara sauce as I flipped back and forth between the Dodger-Padres, A's-Angels games.  A good wine; it supplemented the dinner well and enhanced the taste, I think.

Tonight had some of this after supper, and it worked just fine as a dessert all by itself:

Would love to explore more port wines, but feel a little constrained by the prices I'm finding.   :(

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on April 09, 2009, 07:52:58 PM
You mean nobody has been drinking anything RED WHITE or OTHER since the 27th of March? I don't believe it!

There is a new, for me, and enjoyable red wine. The one and only decent restaurant in this town had been opened about three years ago by a an Ukrainian immigrant; redhead, vibrant, lively and very happy lady in her thirties. She introduced me a to a wine from Georgia: Mukuzani, pleasantly dry, more like a mellow Merlot, grown, produced and bottled in Kakheti, Georgia.

Hello Lis:D  I've never had a wine from Georgia, i.e. the place near the Caucasus Mountains  - actually this area is claimed to be the 'historic' origin of wine making!  I have an old VHS set (4 tapes) on the history of wine made by Hugh Johnson (who also wrote & updated a book on the same subject).  But his 'opening' episode takes place in Georgia - quoted below from the Amazon website is a succinct description:

QuoteIn the first instalment, he visits the Caucasus mountains, where "the cradle of wine" quite surprisingly turns out to be Georgia. There home-made wine is still done in the traditional way, with juice, skins, stems all allowed to ferment together in earthenware jars buried in the ground. A sample is extracted with a gourd ladle. Johnson tries the foul-looking stuff. His pronouncement? It's "got guts". And so we're off to our flying start....

Now, this set dates from the 1980s - I tried to 'burn it' to DVD, but even copy protected back then (so would need to do a few tricks!) - I've never seen a commercial DVD release of the series, but the production is quite excellent & informative.

BTW - I have been trying a handful of Greek wines at a little bistro in town - the names of the grapes are all unknown to me, but the wine is quite delightful and goes well w/ the food!  Dave  :)

SonicMan46

Just returned from an 'overnight' trip to the Charlotte area (visited some botanical gardens & some 'flower' pics - will post in the vacation thread later; also, attended a travelling exhibit at the Mint Museum from the New Orleans Museum of Art - quite good!).

On the way home yesterday, we came up I-85 North onto HW 52 North to visit the Childress Vineyards - quite an impressive place and just 20 miles south of Winston-Salem, our home town.  Being Saturday & an Easter weekend, the place was packed!  We had a light lunch at the bistro - skipped doing a wine tasting (just too crowded w/ lines waiting), but picked up most some 'white wines' and a Syrah, which they often do quite well; also a dessert wine & a sparlking one!  Will report back in the near future!  :D

BTW, an adjacent complex is being constructed w/ a Holiday Inn Express & shops just beginning to open - Richard Childress seems to want to make this a 'stopover' for those traveling north-south through the mid-Atlantic area; Lexington is nearby, so if you like NC BBQ, there are plenty of reasons for a stop -  :)

Brünnhilde forever

This Georgian wine could some day replace my favourite Kiona Lemberger. Goodgosh it's good! So mellow and yet so dry. Even the fact that it was Stalin's favourite wine won't deter me from looking for a source. Sure, I could get a bottle from Inna every time I have dinner at her restaurant, but then I would pay at least three times the price of that at a wine store. Friendship with a new restaurateur from the Ukraine goes only so far!  ;)

http://georgianwines.blogspot.com/2007/04/mukuzani-red-wine.html

Brünnhilde forever

I have bragged often enough about Wenatchee's Finest, here is Inna's website. Take a look at her wine list!  0:)

I found a dealer in New Jersey,
linwoodwineco.com
carrying the Georgian Mukuzani and yesterday they shipped to me the last nine bottles they had of the 2004 vintage! Surprised at the low price, $9.99 and even with hefty shipping of $46.25, it only comes to $15.11 a bottle. At Inna's a bottle at the table is $25.00, of course she is running a restaurant, I only have a friend over now and then.

We'll be at Inna's again tonight and I think I'll try that spinach pie for appetizer, it's her specialty.  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on April 16, 2009, 10:36:45 AM
.... carrying the Georgian Mukuzani and yesterday they shipped to me the last nine bottles they had of the 2004 vintage!

Lis - I'd love to try some wine from that 'historic' area of vino origins!   :D

Childress Vineyards - a few posts back in this thread; picked up a variety of different 'white' wines, a dessert selection, and a sparkling wine - none of these were really that good; even the Chardonnay Reserve was lacking in flavors, uni-dimensional, and just not worth the price - but this has been my usual experience w/ many North Carolina wines, esp. the reds; now, many of these properties are beautiful to visit and the wines will improve (the timing is the trick, i.e. 5 yrs or 2-3 decades?). 

The other day, I received nearly a case of Pinot Noirs from Oregon!  Actually, this included 3 orders from the Oregon Pinot Noir Club (which I've made comments on before in this thread), just delayed shipping until the weather improved - tonight trying the wine shown below, Cardwell Hill Pinot Noir 2006 - this is absolutely delicious; summary ratings HERE, including a 91 rating from the Wine Spectator - now, this wine was likely made in 'small' amounts, but I'm going to check to see if anymore is available - bottom line is if you like this grape, give Oregon a try!   ;D

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: SonicMan on April 18, 2009, 03:03:53 PM
Lis - I'd love to try some wine from that 'historic' area of vino origins!   :D

. . . and yet, after my tasting, liking and ordering I am questioning my wisdom of buying wine produced on the other side of the world, then buying it from a dealer living on the other side of the USA - when I could take a half hour walk up the hill behind my house and get very tasty wine directly at the source!  ::)

Senta

I'll throw in a contribution here! Especially since I'm partaking on this rainy Saturday night...

We're trying a round of Barefoot wine this weekend...tonight the Merlot and Pinot Grigio, soon the Moscato. Can't beat the price @ less than $6. Made in Modesto, CA, this is certainly a good value...the Merlot wasn't my favorite but well made...I just prefer a touch less tannin...the Pinot Grig is great though. Fresh and lemony grassy, very easy to drink, lovely floral nose. Definitely recommended!

Site here, available at most local grocery stores:
http://www.barefootwine.com/

SonicMan46

Quote from: Senta on April 18, 2009, 09:31:48 PM
I'll throw in a contribution here! Especially since I'm partaking on this rainy Saturday night...

We're trying a round of Barefoot wine this weekend...tonight the Merlot and Pinot Grigio, soon the Moscato. Can't beat the price @ less than $6.....................

Senta - thanks for the recommendation - I've not tried these wines but plenty 'good valued' vinos are being made in the world - another HUGE company putting out the Yellowtail wines from Australia have gleamed some good reviews in the Wine Spectator - please ALL continue to post your bargains!  :D

Just looking at the most recent issue of the Wine Spectator (May 31) - there is a feature article on Chilean wines, now some of the highly recommended ones are quite pricey - but take a look at their ratings from this article HERE; plenty rated well & at good prices, if available in your area - happy hunting!  :)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on April 19, 2009, 02:42:58 PM

Hello Bill, the Greg Norman red & white selections from the Limestone Coast are always worth a try - good value, and usually rated in the mid-80s or higher in Wine Spectator; his Californian offerings are less spectacular, but not bad!

The Limestone Coast is in South Australia; if the map added above were expanded, the upper left corner would lead into the city of Adelaide, and just above that the famous Barossa Vly - thus, you're in one of the most important wine areas for quality 'vinous' products from Australia - Dave  :)

Brünnhilde forever

Dave: You have mentioned ordering wine and having it delivered to your home. I am wondering if you - or anybody else receiving shipments - is having the same problems I had here in this State: Washington. UPS requires a signature upon delivery, the recipient has to be over 21. I don't like it, but understand it. A day before delivery I get a voice message confirming the delivery and the time is given as 'between 8AM to 7PM!

If you are living alone do you have to hang around the front part of your house for eleven hours to make sure you don't miss the USP delivery person ringing the doorbell? How do you handle this delivery nuisance?  ???