WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Just returned from a long weekend on the Biltmore Property in Asheville, North Carolina, which has many amenities, including the famous Biltmore House - we stayed at the Inn on Biltmore Estate (pic below) - had a room that overlooked the Biltmore Winery and of course the wonderful Blue Ridge Mountains:D

This winery is the MOST visited in the United States, although not certainly the largest in production; the number of products produced is astounding and also 'atypical' for most of NC wineries in that this winery 'sources in' many grapes from other areas of the country, including California; now, this decision is actually a 'smart' one on their part, i.e. many of their non-NC wines are actually quite good and tasty (and at good prices) - just tonight, I was sampling their 2007 Pinot Noir Reserve w/ Russian River grapes from California; just a superb wine at a great price; so if you are in the western part of North Carolina in the Asheville area, make it a point to visit the Biltmore House and also stop @ the winery for a tasting and possible purchase of some quite decent wine offerings!  ;D

SonicMan46

Well, let's bring this thread back TTT!  ;D

Now, I've been drinking plenty of wine (and probably true for others) - we just need to discuss more of our vinous experiences, please!  :)

But, for this post, a book about wine that I am reading currently:

The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine (2008) by Benjamin Wallace - about the potentially fraudulent bottle of red Bordeaux from the 1780s owned by Thomas Jefferson - reviews have been generally good but a little mixed; of course, I'm enjoying the read (a lot of historic perspective) - probably would not recommend for the 'beginner' but comments can be found HERE8)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on June 01, 2009, 03:31:53 PM

Looks fascinating, Dave.  I take it that you have seen this:

and this is on my reading list:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on June 01, 2009, 03:36:53 PM
Looks fascinating, Dave.  I take it that you have seen this & this is on my reading list:

Good evening Bill - well, the book is actually on my 'to buy' list, but I've not seen that DVD - would love to though!  However, seems to not be available from Amazon (except for an exorbitant 'used' price) and not offered by Netflix - hmmm!  :-\

Have you seen the DVD?  And if so, is it worth more of a web search for me?  Thanks for any information - Dave  :)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on June 01, 2009, 03:59:17 PM
Good evening Bill - well, the book is actually on my 'to buy' list, but I've not seen that DVD - would love to though!  However, seems to not be available from Amazon (except for an exorbitant 'used' price) and not offered by Netflix - hmmm!  :-\

Have you seen the DVD?  And if so, is it worth more of a web search for me?  Thanks for any information - Dave  :)

Wonderful overview, Dave.  We bought it for some friends after seeing on PBS, where you also can purchase it.

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=2124838&cp=&kw=wine+jefferson&origkw=wine+jefferson&sr=1
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on June 01, 2009, 05:35:32 PM
Wonderful overview, Dave.  We bought it for some friends after seeing on PBS, where you also can purchase it.

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=2124838&cp=&kw=wine+jefferson&origkw=wine+jefferson&sr=1

Bill - ya know, I may have seen that when first shown on PBS - thanks for the reminder; guess I'll have to put that one on my 'to buy' list also!  Dave  :D

bhodges

I have been increasingly in love with South African wines, mostly reds, and mostly Shiraz and Pinotage varieties.  Last week had a bottle of Durbanville Hills Shiraz from 2006, with a heavenly spicy flavor and beautiful dark purple/magenta color.

I enjoy all kinds of wines depending on the occasion, but if I had to choose, the fullest-bodied reds are what I like the most, e.g. Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel, or others with so much character they smack you in the face (figuratively speaking of course).  :D

--Bruce

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on March 01, 2009, 06:03:28 PM
If you want something decent for everyday use that you don't have to worry too much about, Target carries a low end line of Reidel that I've been happy with.

Allan

Are these the ones that go for about $10 per glass, Allan?

Dave, I saw some like these also:

Heavier than the Reidel and just $10 for a set of four.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on June 07, 2009, 05:28:52 PM

Dave, I saw some like these also:

Heavier than the Reidel and just $10 for a set of four.

Hi Bill - I usually use just one type of glass for wine (white or red; but, of course, sizes and shapes can vary depending on the vino!) - the glass I inserted above looks pretty much like the one I use - should be clear, tapered at the top, and about 12 oz (which will allow for a 4-6 oz pour); I also like a heavier stem, esp. if going into the dishwasher - the ones that I own are inexpensive (maybe $2-3/glass) - in the market for some 'new' ones and again will favor the shape shown above; good luck in your selection!  Dave  :D

toledobass

Quote from: Bogey on June 07, 2009, 05:28:52 PM

Bog,

It's the vivant line and every target I've been in caries it.  It is about $10 a stem and usually coming in a package of 4 stems.  I have a few and like them.  They're more comfortable than anything else in the price range that I've tried (stuff from places like wiliam sonoma, libby glass, pattery barn..etc)

I'll add that I like my wine glasses to be as light as possible so they vibrate as much as possible with every sip and motion.  Just my preference though.

Allan

SonicMan46

The Cultivated Life - a DVD about Thomas Jefferson & wine, concentrating mainly on this relationship; suggested by Bill in a previous post; purchased from PBS for about $20 - 75 minute documentary done quite well w/ great cinematography & excellents interviews.  Could have been longer, of course (at least for me) - there was much discussion on the native American grapes in Virginia and the failure of the European varietals to be raised in the area at the time, but little if anything on the reasons why?  The main culprit was Phylloxera, the tiny root louse which later devastated European vineyards in the late 19th century, until grafting of the European varieties onto American rootstock was discovered.  Bottom line - highly recommended, esp. if you are a TJ fan!  :D

Bogey

Glad you enjoyed it, Dave.  Hope to secure a copy myself.

Allan, took a bottle of this to a dinner party the other night.  Your table wine was a hit!

The gentleman that sold me the bottle said to try and grab some from his Director Cuts line,  so I snagged this:

2007 Pinot Noir for about $23.  We are going to save this to drink at the annual Academy Awards Party we have or go to each year. :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on June 16, 2009, 12:28:05 PM
The gentleman that sold me the bottle said to try and grab some from his Director Cuts line,  so I snagged this:

2007 Pinot Noir for about $23.  We are going to save this to drink at the annual Academy Awards Party we have or go to each year. :)

Bill - can't quite see the the origin of the label shown - i.e. country & producer please!  :D

As you may know, my favorite red wine grape is Pinot Noir, so just curious about the history of your wine?  Dave  :)

Bogey

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on June 16, 2009, 05:52:31 PM
Here you go, Dave.  Mine is 2007:

Wine Desription HERE

Bill - have not had that wine, but looks like a good Coppola selection - the 2007 should certainly last until your sampling - let us know then!  Dave  :D

Harry

I was given two bottles of Highland single malt 18 years old, from a female friend from Ireland, and its just amazing, so pure and soft.....

Bogey

My wife treated me to a few goodies this past Father's Day:

and three bottles of wine from:

http://www.jeffersonvineyards.com/

Bogey

My wife and I just found a little wine shop (they hardly sell anything else) in Old Town Arvada (A small little historic town nearby).  It is family owned and the folks could not be nicer and answer all our newbie questions with enthusiasm.  Their prices run the gambit from $8 -$700 a bottle, but as said here, they pointed out that one does not have to  spend a lot to find an enjoyable wine.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on June 25, 2009, 04:27:56 PM
My wife treated me to a few goodies this past Father's Day:

and three bottles of wine from:  http://www.jeffersonvineyards.com/

Hello Bill - as mentioned before, I enjoyed that DVD on Jefferson, and still have that previous book mentioned on my 'to buy' list!

Susan & I do 'short' vacations into Virginia a couple times a year, and to Charlottesville at least every 2-3 years; the Boar's Head Inn is a great place to stay (think that I may have posted in the 'vacation thread' after our last visit?) - we decided to skip Monticello this time, and visited Poplar Grove further south - Jefferson's 'get away' place just now being restored (and a subject of a show w/ Roy Underhill on PBS) & also Montpelier - Madison's home, also under restoration; in addition, Monroe's home, Ash Lawn, is also in the area!

Of course, no trip into Virginia is complete w/o a visit to a number of regional wineries; many are nestled in the more mountainous areas, thus some beautiful scenery - let's us know you experience w/ those Virginian wines!  Dave  :)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on June 27, 2009, 06:34:17 AM
Hello Bill - as mentioned before, I enjoyed that DVD on Jefferson, and still have that previous book mentioned on my 'to buy' list!

Susan & I do 'short' vacations into Virginia a couple times a year, and to Charlottesville at least every 2-3 years; the Boar's Head Inn is a great place to stay (think that I may have posted in the 'vacation thread' after our last visit?) - we decided to skip Monticello this time, and visited Poplar Grove further south - Jefferson's 'get away' place just now being restored (and a subject of a show w/ Roy Underhill on PBS) & also Montpelier - Madison's home, also under restoration; in addition, Monroe's home, Ash Lawn, is also in the area!

Of course, no trip into Virginia is complete w/o a visit to a number of regional wineries; many are nestled in the more mountainous areas, thus some beautiful scenery - let's us know you experience w/ those Virginian wines!  Dave  :)

Dave,
On our last trip out east, we stayed at the Boar's Head Inn.  It was our favorite retiring quarters during our ramblings across the area.  We will be opening a bottle or two of the wines from the Jefferson Vineyards on the 4th!  Just feels like the correct thing to do. ;)