WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Tapkaara

Red, red, red!!! I love red wine (chianti and bordeaux in particular), but I cannot stand white. I never drink it.

The new erato

Quote from: Tapkaara on August 05, 2009, 08:40:17 AM
Red, red, red!!! I love red wine (chianti and bordeaux in particular), but I cannot stand white. I never drink it.
Like saying you only listen to even numbered symphonies. Perfectly legitimate, but you'll miss Beethovens 5th and 9th, etc, etc. I'm part of a reasonably hardcore wine "clique" and I guess we consume about 60% white among us....

SonicMan46

Quote from: Tapkaara on August 05, 2009, 08:40:17 AM

Well, since you never drink white wine, have you ever had a good one?  ;) :D

I use to drink mainly red wine, but am now probably 60%-40% range w/ the 'white wines' dominating - more likely a reflection of our dietary changes over the years, i.e. fewer dishes in which I would favor a red wine, and more seafood options (although I always pick a Pinot Noir when having tuna or salmon - just a fabulous combination).

Actually, there have been some 'blind tastings' in which the 'color' of the wines were unknown (e.g. blindfold the tasters or use 'black' glasses), and many times the tasters could not tell the difference between a red vs. a white wine - obviously a young tannic red might not present a problem, but seems not to always be the case.  Although I've participated in a number of 'blind' tastings w/ the bottles bagged, I could always seen the color - so, no personal experience, but would be interesting -  :)

Tapkaara

Quote from: erato on August 05, 2009, 09:01:30 AM
Like saying you only listen to even numbered symphonies. Perfectly legitimate, but you'll miss Beethovens 5th and 9th, etc, etc. I'm part of a reasonably hardcore wine "clique" and I guess we consume about 60% white among us....

What's wrong with not liking white wine? It's as simple as that...I don't like it. I don't feel I am missing too much, honestly. I'll take an even numbered symphony over a glass of white any day!

Tapkaara

Quote from: SonicMan on August 05, 2009, 09:03:25 AM
Well, since you never drink white wine, have you ever had a good one?  ;) :D

I use to drink mainly red wine, but am now probably 60%-40% range w/ the 'white wines' dominating - more likely a reflection of our dietary changes over the years, i.e. fewer dishes in which I would favor a red wine, and more seafood options (although I always pick a Pinot Noir when having tuna or salmon - just a fabulous combination).

Actually, there have been some 'blind tastings' in which the 'color' of the wines were unknown (e.g. blindfold the tasters or use 'black' glasses), and many times the tasters could not tell the difference between a red vs. a white wine - obviously a young tannic red might not present a problem, but seems not to always be the case.  Although I've participated in a number of 'blind' tastings w/ the bottles bagged, I could always seen the color - so, no personal experience, but would be interesting -  :)

I don't know if I've had a good one. I assume I have. I had a friend who was quite a connoisseur and she drank almost exclusively white. I tried several from her collection and never really liked any of them.

Dr. Dread

ChamberNut

Quote from: Tapkaara on August 05, 2009, 09:26:36 AM
I'll take an even numbered symphony over a glass of white any day!

:D That was funny!  ;D

ChamberNut

I don't drink anymore, but I did enjoy red wine very much.  Didn't really enjoy white wine though.  :-\

Tapkaara

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 05, 2009, 09:33:14 AM
I don't drink anymore, but I did enjoy red wine very much.  Didn't really enjoy white wine though.  :-\

Really ChamberNut, how could you? You are missing out, you fool!

SonicMan46

Well, no activity here for a month and not much in the way of recent recommendations -   :)

Washington State Merlot - I've been recommending these wines from the Pacific Northwest for a while; unfortunately, the 'better' ones w/ some of the best ratings just don't leave that state or just don't leave the region.  Ch. Ste. Michelle & Columbia Crest are the largest producers in the state and their wines are quite ubiquitous in my area on the east coast USA.

Last night, I enjoyed a Gordon Brothers Merlot, 2005 vintage - had been in my basement cellar nearly 2 yrs, did not throw a sediment, and was still somewhat tannic but mellowed after a few hours.  Quite tasty - I have their Cabernet Sauvignon from the same year, but will give that one a try in 6 months or so.

For those liking 'red' wines, Washington State offers some excellent values, esp. by the larger producers, e.g. the Columbia Crest 'Grand Estates' bottling usually will receive ratings in the mid-80s up to even 90, and sells for just $10 in the local stores here.  Enjoy -  :D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Hello Bill - great 'valued' selection, but can't imagine that a single glass was enough to get through a prime rib dinner - how big was the glass?  ;) ;D

Cheers - Dave

Bogey

Picked up two bottles, the first for the rack, the second for an Italian dinner at friends' house tonight:

and

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on November 14, 2009, 01:03:24 PM
Picked up two bottles, the first for the rack, the second for an Italian dinner at friends' house tonight:

Bill - enjoy!  :D

Yesterday, Susan brought home some ostrich fillets from the Hilltop Ostrich Farm in our home county!  Must grill or pan fry quickly, i.e. medium rare @ the most (these have less fat & cholesterol than a chicken breast, but the meat is red & bloody!) - just begging for a light and not tannic Pinot Noir - an inexpensive cellar selection below was just right -  :)

SonicMan46

Well, this thread has been moribund the last few months - some of our usual 'wine enthusiasts' seem to have stop posting -  :-\

Well, maybe a 'new' topic discussion might peak some interest and replies? 

Yesterday (i.e. Saturday) in the New York Times, there was an article on the decline in sales of Champagne (meaning specifically the French made version of the bubbly) - sales down about 33% in Britain & 43% in the USA!

Now, I love 'sparkling wine' made in the French tradition (i.e. 'in the bottle'), but must admit that I rarely buy a French one, largely because of the price difference vs. domestic sparklers or those from non-French sources (e.g. Spain, South America, Australia, etc.) - the domestic sparklers do not receive the ratings of many French Champagnes, but when faced w/ an $18 vs. $60 (typical average in my experience) difference between a California vs. a French bubbly, I'd much rather buy 3-4 bottles of the former!  :D

Obviously, in today's economy and the escalating prices of many wines (whether French or some of the better known California cabernets, which I've pretty much stopped buying), how has your wine habits changed over the last 5-10 yrs?

For me, I'm not drinking any less wine, but I've tried to stick w/i a price range, usually $10-$20 a bottle; this choice has eliminated buying many of the French reds (Bordeaux & Burgundy) & Italian reds that use to 'populate' my wine cellar; in addition, I've stopped purchasing many of the California cabernets that were common in my basement - many of these vainglorious wineries have increased their bottle pricing beyond reason!

My main decisions these days are to look for VALUE w/i the price range mentioned above; yes, I will splurge up to $30+ a bottle for a well recommended Pinot Noir, my favorite red, but I just don't believe that a beverage to go w/ your food should be outrageously priced!

So, how has my cellar changed over the last several decades:  1) Classified Bordeaux about gone; 2) No red or white Burgundies; 3) No Italian reds (i.e. Piedmonte & Chianti); 4) Vintage Ports (about gone) and 5) California Cabernets dwindling. 

My cellar is now well under 200 bottles (maximum was probably 700+ bottles 15 or so years ago); current 'main' contents: 1) California Zinfandels; 2) Oregon (some CA) Pinot Noirs; 3) Australian Shiraz (and a few Cabernets); 4) Chilean & Argentinian reds (Malbec, Cabernet, Carmenere, etc.; the last category has increased most dramatically in the last 5 years.

Now, I do drink much white wine, but just don't keep a lot in the basement - current favorites are mostly non-Chardonnay types, such as Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand & West coast USA), Pinot Gris/Grigio (many varied places), and Viognier; tasting more of the South American whites, e.g. the Torrontes grape has been a new discovery and liking the Chardonnays, esp. from Chile (Casablanca Vly).

So, how have your wine tastes changed and what prices are you currently willing to invest?  I know that this will generate different responses from those 'across the pond' in Europe, and if I lived there, then my choices and value searches would be quite different; unfortunately, these well priced European wines that I read about in every issue of the Wine Spectator just do not ship to my neck of the woods.  Dave  :)

Bogey

Try to snag a bottle of this Washington "red", Dave.  It was excellent (I need to grab another for the rack) and I believe ran me about $22.  In fact, everyone enjoyed it, even the Mrs.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on November 15, 2009, 08:12:14 AM

Try to snag a bottle of this Washington "red", Dave.  It was excellent (I need to grab another for the rack) and I believe ran me about $22.  In fact, everyone enjoyed it, even the Mrs.

Bill - I was curious about the wine above since the name gives little information; however, checking their website HERE, the grapes (and percentages) used are listed as 35%Syrah 21%Mourvedre 16%Grenache 15%Cinsault 13%Counoise - basically, a blended wine similiar to those of the Southern Rhone - I use to have a nice Rhone Vly collection, most from the Southern region, esp. Chateauneuf-du-Pape & Gigondas, but no longer sadly!

Bottom line - I would likely really enjoy this wine, but just 1750 cases were made and may not be shipped to the other side of the continent; the largest 'wine store' in my area did not have the winery listed on their website offerings, so I doubt that the lesser stores that I use will not have the wine - this has been a MAJOR problem for me regarding wines from Oregon & Washington State - now, I belong to an Oregon Wine Club - maybe I should start looking for a 'similar one' for that northern state which makes far more wine, and much of good quality & value.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'd suggest picking up a few bottles if you really enjoyed the wine, and let it sit in your house for a year or more - most wines made w/ these grapes will improve w/ a couple or more years in the bottle (if just Syrah from Northern Rhone, then 5-10 yrs for the better offerings would be a suggestion).  Dave  :D

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on November 15, 2009, 02:04:19 PM
Bill - I was curious about the wine above since the name gives little information; however, checking their website HERE, the grapes (and percentages) used are listed as 35%Syrah 21%Mourvedre 16%Grenache 15%Cinsault 13%Counoise - basically, a blended wine similiar to those of the Southern Rhone - I use to have a nice Rhone Vly collection, most from the Southern region, esp. Chateauneuf-du-Pape & Gigondas, but no longer sadly!

Bottom line - I would likely really enjoy this wine, but just 1750 cases were made and may not be shipped to the other side of the continent; the largest 'wine store' in my area did not have the winery listed on their website offerings, so I doubt that the lesser stores that I use will not have the wine - this has been a MAJOR problem for me regarding wines from Oregon & Washington State - now, I belong to an Oregon Wine Club - maybe I should start looking for a 'similar one' for that northern state which makes far more wine, and much of good quality & value.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'd suggest picking up a few bottles if you really enjoyed the wine, and let it sit in your house for a year or more - most wines made w/ these grapes will improve w/ a couple or more years in the bottle (if just Syrah from Northern Rhone, then 5-10 yrs for the better offerings would be a suggestion).  Dave  :D

Dave,
Here is the shop I got it from.  Just email them and I bet they can help you.  Nice little family owned wine shop.

http://www.primovino.net/

Bogey

Took your advice and dropped by the little shop in Arvada and grabbed two more bottles of this, Dave.  They have probably 7 or 8 left (?). 

Any other combo reds that you would rec. at this time?

PS Watched the Jefferson wine video again last night.  He only had 300 bottles left when he died. :D