WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Thanks much!  Waiting two or three years from this date, Dave, or from when it was bottled?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on December 24, 2009, 06:38:00 AM
Thanks much!  Waiting two or three years from this date, Dave, or from when it was bottled?

Yep!  If I had a handful of bottles of that wine, I'd likely put away and try the first one in 2011-12 when the wine would then be 4-5 yrs of age; of course, completely up to you - but if you decide on 'longer term' storage, keep the bottle on its side and in a quiet light subdued area and at a fairly constant temperature (of course ideal temp recommended is 55 F; my basement corner is in the mid-60s F throughout the year - i.e. the wine will age somewhat faster; try not to let the temp get above 70 degrees F - constant & lower is best).  Dave  :D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Couple of red wine additions to the cellar yesterday - found at Harris-Teeter (decent offerings here):

Louis Martini - Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa) - 2006; picked up 3 bottles @ $18.50 each - wine received an 88 rating in the California Grapevine - I'd go a little higher, thus good value in today's Napa Vly market for cabs!  Tasted last night - excellent fruit, mildly oaky, and light tannins - will drink the remaining 2 bottles in 2010.

Acacia - Pinot Noir (Napa-Carneros blend) - 2007 (not year on pic!); picked up 3 bottles at $21 - will try one soon - I usually drink Pinot Noir when young (at least the ones that I buy) so likely will be consumed over the next year; rated */87 in Connoisseur's Guide to California Wine - suspect my tasting will put the wine in the high 80s (I've just had this so often from various years - consistent).  :D

Bogey

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on December 29, 2009, 11:51:04 AM
Fun stuff, especially the second half:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6027178n&tag=cbsnewsVideoArea.0

Bill - LOL on the last half of that video!  ;D  That's what I sound like when people ask me about wines at parties - some good advice there - Dave  :)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on December 29, 2009, 02:33:50 PM
Bill - LOL on the last half of that video!  ;D  That's what I sound like when people ask me about wines at parties - some good advice there - Dave  :)

You should watch his latest Christmas show, Dave.  Just Google Wine TV.

Tomorrow, we will be serving this to our guests witha honey glazed ham:

Bogey

Had this Pinot a week or so back.  Wonderful:

Tonight, toting these to an Italian dinner at a friend's house.  It will be interesting to see if they can tell the difference, or for that matter, myself:

vs.

some Sangiovese Il Calcinaio LA CALONICA, Toscana 2007

SonicMan46

Bill - please let us know how you enjoyed those wines - I don't buy much Italian wine anymore (use to have a great collection of Piedmonte & Chianti Classicos wines, but my cellar has just shrunk!).

But for those who may be able to purchase California wines, the Seghesio Zinfandel has been almost a yearly purchase for me - just picked up the '08 bottling from Costco for about $18 (YES, the price has gone UP w/ their fame!) - tasting this wine over the last few nights - just excellent w/ plenty of fruit and some oak - tastes great at the moment - a year might improve the wine, but not much more - believe that I've gone into the history of Zinfandel in previous posts (can't remember) - but this is a great red for Italian replacements -  :D

Bogey

The Sangiovese Il Calcinaio LA CALONICA, Toscana 2007 at about $12 was a hit for a few last night.  The Casa Sola at $33 was pleasing to about as many.  My wife preferred the less expensive wine because she thought the other too strong.  I enjoyed the Casa.  The other wine, as pointed out by one of our friends was a bit dry.  All first tastes were done in a blind manner.  I have a Pinot on tap for this weekend.  Should be a beauty, but then one never knows until it hits the mouth.  Making a Thanksgiving dinner for Oscar night. 

I may have to track down a bottle of the Seghesio Zinfandel, Dave.  Should be one out here somewhere. :)

SonicMan46

Well, looks like Bill and I are the only ones drinking wine lately!  ;) ;D

The Chilean wine industry, esp. the coastal areas near the epicenter of the recent earthquake, suffered substantial damage which will be difficult to estimate presently, i.e. not only damage to current tanks/casks/bottles but potential damage to future production - sad note for those wanting fair wine prices - see NYTimes HERE.

So, I've been sipping on a Novas 2005 Carmenere-Cabernet Sauvignon blend (80-20%) the last few nights - has been in my cellar about a year or more - mellower now but could use even another year or so!

For those liking red Bordeaux & California Cabernet, both wines now so overpriced (for the excellent ones) that I'm no longer buying any, finding similar but good reds has become a challenge; however, the South American wines (from Chile & Argentina) - two 'minor' Bordeaux red grapes seemed to have found a new life in these countries; Malbec in the Mendoza Vly of Argentina & Carmenere in Chile - both grapes used in Bordeaux reds as minor percentage blends (if at all!) - but in the 'new world' each has flourished!

So, first let's hope that the Chilean wine industry has not been too severely damaged?  Second, if you like red wines made from Bordeaux varietals, give the ones from Chile a try - might help to support the recovery of this country - drink up!  Dave  :D

Bogey

We served a "Thanksgiving" dinner last night at our Oscar party.  (See Blind Side reference).  Two bottles were open:

Though two different wines, I predicted that the Pinot would be superior with the meal.  I was wrong.  The Gott was lush, and smooth from start to finish and complimented the meal wonderfully.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on March 03, 2010, 02:48:20 PM
Well, looks like Bill and I are the only ones drinking wine lately!  ;) ;D

In fact I've had very little wine since Christmas. I didn't even drink on New Year's Eve. A chronic stomach problem flared up and I've had to be careful what I eat and drink. I'm feeling better now (after undergoing some very pleasant foot reflexology with an attractive therapist  8) ) I should start making contributions to this thread soon.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on March 08, 2010, 06:36:14 PM
We served a "Thanksgiving" dinner last night at our Oscar party.  (See Blind Side reference).  Two bottles were open:
Though two different wines, I predicted that the Pinot would be superior with the meal.  I was wrong.  The Gott was lush, and smooth from start to finish and complimented the meal wonderfully.

By Thanksgiving dinner do you mean roast turkey? Yeah, pinot is my favorite varietal with that bird but really, any wine will do nicely. Turkey complements everything.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Well maybe time to reactivated this thread to see what people may be drinking at the moment & to stimulate some current recommendations!  :D

Last night, I had the 2004 Shingleback Shiraz from South Australia (McLaren Vale) - has been sitting in my cellar for 2+ yrs and keeps improving (unfortunately, I have just 1 bottle left, so will wait until next year, although this wine could go on much longer) - believe that I have at least a 3-yr vertical collection of this particular brand.

My Australian collection has become quite low - use to collect many more of their reds, esp. the Shiraz; the country is now in a major 'wine glut' and is importing too many cheap wines to the USA, at least judging from the volume and prices at my local shopping areas - in today's economy, I suspect a major 'shakeout' in the wine industry w/ likely pricing dropping - but we'll see - so, recommendations, comments, wine industry in your 'neck of the woods', etc. -  :D

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 09, 2010, 05:52:00 AM
By Thanksgiving dinner do you mean roast turkey? Yeah, pinot is my favorite varietal with that bird but really, any wine will do nicely. Turkey complements everything.

Sarge

Yes.  Yes. And, yes. ;D

Bogey

Believe it or not, better the second day.  Just drinking it on its own with a couple of Dove chocolates on the side.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on April 02, 2010, 05:08:41 PM

Believe it or not, better the second day.  Just drinking it on its own with a couple of Dove chocolates on the side.

Bill - really not an unusual reaction, esp. for young or aged reds; in fact, always a nice test to taste the reds, in particular,  at least a few hours later or the next day!  Dave   :D

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on April 02, 2010, 05:46:07 PM
Bill - really not an unusual reaction, esp. for young or aged reds; in fact, always a nice test to taste the reds, in particular,  at least a few hours later or the next day!  Dave   :D

This is actually a white, Dave.  The Pinot is misleading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinot_gris

Still yummy, though. :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on April 02, 2010, 08:31:12 PM
This is actually a white, Dave.  The Pinot is misleading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinot_gris

Still yummy, though. :)

Understand Bill, just saying that this phenomenon is more common w/ reds; I've kept 'partially finished' bottles of whites in the refrigerator for a number of days but many don't seem to change much; some w/ 'off flavors' (like a little too much sulfur to prevent oxidation) will certainly change, and some of the more complex whites (e.g. barrel made/aged chardonnays) certainly might show a difference.  In general, always an interesting learning experience to drinks wines, regardless of their color, at different times following pulling the cork, whether in a few hours or the next day.  In addition, letting whites (esp. more complex ones) warm up a little closer to room temperature can be a revelation.  Happy drinking!  Dave  :D