WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Just started to order wine online from Wine Access; now I've been a long time member of the Oregon Pinot Noir Club, but just received my second order (half case - and need to sign @ the door) of some interesting Malbecs (about $14/bottle) - tried the Patagonia wine last night - excellent (I'd go into the high 80s close to 90); Robert Parker rated the other bottling a 91 - my first order was a Chad Pinot Noir from California (tasty and rich depth) - think that I'll peruse their website today and place another order!  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: erato on December 26, 2010, 05:28:59 AM
Hope they're not too heavy on the oak, a fate seeming to occur to most ambitious German reds (and the reason I often prefer the cheaper bottlings).

I know what you mean: either an excess of vanilla, masking the fruit, or, in less ripe, less concentrated wine, so much bitter wood you fear getting a splinter in your throat  ;D  Knipser's use of oak (and Lingenfelder's too, in the neighboring Weinort, Großkarlbach) is usually judicious. Even his whites are nicely balanced (he produces an outstanding Chardonnay Auslese trocken: here's a review of the 2003). The Gaudenz is closer to a traditional German red because he uses used oak barrels rather than new. Makes the wine a relative bargain too.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Peregrine

Drinking the 2002^

A Cabernet Sauvignon dominated drop I think and still has plenty of life in it. May have to ask the other half for some more for my birthday!

Had much wine over Christmas - the stand outs being the Trimbach Gewurz' 2007 and Riesling Reserve. Great estate.
Yes, we have no bananas

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Peregrine on December 27, 2010, 05:37:47 AM
Had much wine over Christmas - the stand outs being the Trimbach Gewurz' 2007 and Riesling Reserve. Great estate.

It is. We haven't been to Alsace, though, or bought any Trimbach wine since I took my sister and her husband to the region more than a year ago. I bought Gewurztraminer vendanges tardive then specifically to satisfy their American sweet tooth.

Sarge

Bogey

We needed a bit of white wine to mix with the extra cheese from the holidays that we are going to throw in the  fondue pot tonight.  This was the rec for a wine that would work nicely for cooking and then for drinking with the chicken picatta dish that will follow tomorrow night.

A 2010 NY Times article on Muscadets here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/dining/reviews/01wine.html
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

This may interest Dave the most: Jacques' Wine Depot--the largest wine shop in Worms--received a shipment of 2010 sauvignon blanc from Marisco Vineyards: The Ned. The shop's owner opened a chilled bottle for us to sample. It was stunning, one of the best New Zealand whites I've ever had: grassy with gooseberry and citrus notes plus a huge tropical fruit finish. Good acidity. We bought two six packs (€13 a bottle). We also bought a bottle of the 2009 Ned pinot noir.

After we got home I checked out reviews on the internet: uniformly positive, including first place in a tasting done by Cuisine Magazine of 185 2010 NZ sauvignon blancs. Dave, if this is available in your area check it out. I think you'll like it.

Sarge

SonicMan46

Sarge - well, as you know NZ Sauvignon Blanc is one of my current favorite whites - was just sipping on some Kim Crawford last night for dinner - not sure if the Ned ships to my area (BUT, plenty more well rated ones reach North Carolina) - Marlborough on the northern part of the south island has a capacity to make 100,000s of cases of this delicious stuff!  Dave  :D ;D

P.S. Don't you love those screw caps!  I do -  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on January 12, 2011, 03:25:29 AM
....not sure if the Ned ships to my area (BUT, plenty more well rated ones reach North Carolina)...

They aren't so plentiful here...at least not the great ones. It's pretty exciting to come across a NZ sauvignon blanc like The Ned that hasn't been sitting on a shelf too long...long past its "use by" date.

Quote from: SonicMan on January 12, 2011, 03:25:29 AM
P.S. Don't you love those screw caps!  I do -  ;D

For this type of wine, yeah, love 'em. The bottles store easily too: no need to lay them on their side.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Scarlett Johansson and Moet. Now this is how to sell champagne! Moet & Chandon is my least favorite of the grande marques but I'm going to buy a bottle anyway just to show my appreciation for their advertising style  ;D

Sarge

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 19, 2011, 05:32:02 AM
Scarlett Johansson and Moet. Now this is how to sell champagne! Moet & Chandon is my least favorite of the grande marques but I'm going to buy a bottle anyway just to show my appreciation for their advertising style  ;D

Sarge

LOL -  ;D  Saw that offered (sans Scarlett) @ Costco the other day - almost picked up a bottle!  Dave  :)

The new erato

So now we havve white wine, red wine, and scarlet wine?

Sergeant Rock

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 20, 2011, 07:14:49 AM
An article about 2008 Oregon pinot noir:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/19/dining/reviews/19wine.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=homepage

Sarge - thanks for the link on the 2008 Oregon Pinot Noirs - just took a look in the basement; I've been acquiring this vintage since March of last year and now have about 16 bottles of 7 different ones, most purchased from the Oregon Pinot Noir Club and several locally - prices for me (w/o S/H) varied from $23-$32 per bottle - I won't go much for $30 which often excludes the best rated wines, so finding value & bargains is part of the fun!

For those who have access to these wines, review the link because '08 is a fabulous year & I plan to purchase more - I usually just buy 3 bottles of each wine, drink one immediately to decide on potential aging and put the others in the cellar; most of these less expensive pinots will not need much aging (I drink mine w/i a year or two).  Also keep in mind if you want to use the PN club in my link, the owner, Bob Wolfe, often just gets a handful of cases of some of these rarities, so buy quickly if you have an interest.

Dave -  :)

P.S. 2008s that I have currently are: Cooper Mtn, Patricia Green, Roco, Ponzi, Cardwell Hill, Longplay, & Ransom - all can be recommended in their price range, and none were included in the NY Times review, but again availability is always an issue in Oregon!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on January 20, 2011, 08:02:30 AM
Sarge - thanks for the link on the 2008 Oregon Pinot Noirs - just took a look in the basement; I've been acquiring this vintage since March of last year and now have about 16 bottles of 7 different ones, most purchased from the Oregon Pinot Noir Club and several locally - prices for me (w/o S/H) varied from $23-$32 per bottle - I won't go much for $30 which often excludes the best rated wines, so finding value & bargains is part of the fun!

For those who have access to these wines, review the link because '08 is a fabulous year & I plan to purchase more - I usually just buy 3 bottles of each wine, drink one immediately to decide on potential aging and put the others in the cellar; most of these less expensive pinots will not need much aging (I drink mine w/i a year or two).  Also keep in mind if you want to use the PN club in my link, the owner, Bob Wolfe, often just gets a handful of cases of some of these rarities, so buy quickly if you have an interest.

Dave -  :)

P.S. 2008s that I have currently are: Cooper Mtn, Patricia Green, Roco, Ponzi, Cardwell Hill, Longplay, & Ransom - all can be recommended in their price range, and none were included in the NY Times review, but again availability is always an issue in Oregon!

The PXs in Germany used to stock some of the better Oregon wineries but no longer. All I can do is read...and dream   :'(

Sarge

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 20, 2011, 08:10:39 AM
The PXs in Germany used to stock some of the better Oregon wineries but no longer. All I can do is read...and dream   :'(

Sarge
Yeah - like living in Sahara and dreaming about sand.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: erato on January 20, 2011, 08:42:59 AM
Yeah - like living in Sahara and dreaming about sand.

;D :D ;D

Yeah, well there is no shortage of great pinot noir in Germany, of course. In fact we're having a bottle of Dr. Wehrheim's Spätburgunder tonight with roast chicken. But the Oregon variety is unique and I do miss drinking it.

Sarge

The new erato

I was thinking more along the lines that in an 3-4 hour trip along the Autobahn you have the greatest Pinot Noir territory in the world (do I need to spell it out?) and can stuff your car to your hearts delight.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: erato on January 20, 2011, 09:00:58 AM
I was thinking more along the lines that in an 3-4 hour trip along the Autobahn you have the greatest Pinot Noir territory in the world (do I need to spell it out?) and can stuff your car to your hearts delight.

If I were willing to spend the kind of money it takes to buy the great Burgundies, yes, I'd agree with you. But at a comparable price point (i.e., one that I can reasonably afford) I find German pinot usually better than the cheaper burgundies.

Sarge

The new erato

Yeah, but then try Beajoulais; there's tons of cheap and beautiful stuff that does a great impersonation of juicy Pinot.