WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: erato on January 20, 2011, 09:10:25 AM
Yeah, but then try Beajoulais; there's tons of cheap and beautiful stuff that does a great impersonation of juicy Pinot.

We used to drink Beaujoulais often--not so much in the last ten years. There's been a resurgence in quality, I hear, so I'll have to give it another try.

Tonight's dinner wine : pinot noir from one of the best vintners in the southern Pfalz:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 20, 2011, 01:34:25 PM
We used to drink Beaujoulais often--not so much in the last ten years. There's been a resurgence in quality, I hear, so I'll have to give it another try.

Tonight's dinner wine : pinot noir from one of the best vintners in the southern Pfalz:

Sarge

Can you send me a link that would allow me to show my wine seller this and see if I can get it in the states, Sarge?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on January 21, 2011, 03:57:56 AM
Can you send me a link that would allow me to show my wine seller this and see if I can get it in the states, Sarge?

There's actually an importer located in Colorado that deals in Dr. Wehrheim. Here's the link:

http://www.magellanwineimports.com/german_wines/dr_wehrheim

They don't seem to carry his pinot noir though. If you like white wine, try the Weissburgunder (or Weisser Burgunder)....exceptional. I notice they also import Knipser wines. He's one of the best, some think the best, maker of German pinot noir (Spätburgunder). My parents-in-law traditionally give me Knipser wine for Christmas and my birthday.

Link here: http://www.magellanwineimports.com/german_wines/knipser

Sarge

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on January 08, 2011, 04:48:58 PM
chicken picatta dish that will follow tomorrow night.

Hey, Bill, you inspired last night's supper. I made chicken piccata for the first time. I've mentioned before that I don't like capers but in the last few weeks I've forced myself to eat them. I'm finally acquiring the taste. The recipes I found online say to use either chicken stock or white wine for the sauce. I used both: 2/3 stock and 1/3 sauvignon blanc (The Ned from NZ which we drank with the meal too). I added a couple cloves of minced garlic which most of the recipes I saw didn't include. Mrs. Rock was happy with the results (she's a caper lover). The wine was perfect with this dish.

Sarge

Bogey

Glad that you enjoyed the meal, Sarge!

Last night we went over a friends house with a number of other couples and had Chinese take-out.  So I did some digging and came up with this:

http://kathleenlisson.blogspot.com/2008/04/chinese-takeout-and-red-wine-pairing.html

So, I brought a bottle from this guy's winery:

and went with:

Excellent pairing!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on January 30, 2011, 03:17:04 AM
So, I brought a bottle from this guy's winery:

and went with:

Excellent pairing!

I've enjoyed Fess's wines on a number of occasions: merlot from the nineties with Mrs. Rock's roast duck; merlot again with my sister's fabulous venison (she shot herself); a 21st century pinot noir we drank with fresh Alaskan wild salmon grilled by my best friend in Ohio; and this "Mélange," a gift from that same friend when he came to Germany in 2000. I kept that bottle:

Love the coonskin cap logo  8)

Sarge

Bogey

Sergeant Rock

SonicMan46

Bill - you & Sarge have taken over this thread recently!  ;) ;D

A couple pages back in a discussion of different geographical Pinot Noirs, Erato brought up Beaujolais as a 'less expensive' substitute; of course this rather large area south of the Pinot Noir producing Burgundian appellations uses the Gamay grape for its lighter and fruitier red wines often thought to be for immediate consumption, e.g. 'Beaujolais Nouveau' - however, Beaujolais is much more complex w/ different levels of complexity as shown by the map below - the Village appellations and even more specific producers make wines that are much more complex and actually may age for a few years.

Well, I use to collect these village Beaujolais wines a number of years ago; some of my favorite ones were Morgon, Moulin a Vent, and Fleurie; in Morgon, a wine released by the ubiquitous Georges Duboeuf was Jean Descombes - I use to buy this nearly on a yearly basis and age about a year or so - wonderful stuff!

Today, I bought the 2009 version (label below, right) - plenty of tannin for a little aging and the usual Gamay fruitiness that reminds one of the lighter berries (e.g. raspberries) - price was right - and received a 92 rating in the Wine Spectator - as I've gotten older, lighter reds appeal to be more, so I believe that I will start re-exploring the Village wines of this southern Burgundian area -  ;D

The new erato

the www.winedisorder.com site contains a lot of useful Beajolais discussions from guys that are really knowledgeable; let me just say that quality Beajoulais form people like Brun and Lapierre are among the wine worlds best bargains for reds.

Edit: Link fixed; thanks SonicMan.

SonicMan46

Quote from: erato on February 03, 2011, 10:10:10 PM
the www.winedisorder.com site contains a lot of useful Beajolais discussions from guys that are really knowledgeable; let me just say that quality Beajoulais form people like Brun and Lapierre are among the wine worlds best bargains for reds.

Erato - thanks for that link (added an 'e' above) - I'll take a closer look soon; but we finished off the Beaujolais shown previously last night - even a little more mellow but definitely some tannin that 6-12 months would likely soften - Dave  :)

Sergeant Rock

Thanks, guys, for the disccussion and links about Beaujolais. We used to consume vast quantities in the 90s. I particularly liked the  wines from Saint Amour and Fleurie. With the arrival of the new century I perceived a drop in quality. That, along with the scandals that hit the area, turned me off the wine for quite a few years. I would like to start drinking Beaujolais again. Just need to find a source. I went to Jacques' Wine Depot yesterday but they don't stock cru Beaujolais.

I did buy wine yesterday. Six bottles of Amarone della Valpolicella, and one bottle of a rather expensive Greek Cabernet Sauvignon we found in a Turkish shop where we were buying lamb for a stew Mrs. Rock is going to make tonight.

Sarge

The new erato

I went for a bottle of the real thing last night (this being Saturday): Daniel Rion Vosne Romanee Les Suchot (one of the better Premier Crus in Vosne) 2001. Yes, it was heavenly with that typical Vosne Christmas spices that Pinot Noir never aquires anywhere else.   

Sergeant Rock

Bought wine this weekend. The brothers Peter and Fritz May of Weingut Karl May in Osthofen (the village next to ours in the Rheinhessen wine region) are finally capitalizing on their winery's name by offering a red wine blend (80% cabernet and 20% regent) called Blutsbruder (Blood Brother...alluding to the Winnetou books). We also bought the 2009 Spätburgunder (pinot noir) and dry Riesling from grapes harvested from the Osthofener Goldberg and Bechtheimer Geyersberg. Click pics to enlarge

Sarge

kaergaard

SonicMan46

Long Island wine!  Just returned from a trip to Long Island, NY, specifically Montauk to see Susan's mother - had an 'off' day on Monday & a rental car, so Susan & I took an all day trip to the North Fork, where there are now dozens of wineries (last visit probably 20+ yrs ago - maybe 6-8 wineries at that time!) - decided to do the Shelter Island ferries to Greenport (see map below along w/ a larger one of the entire LI); East Hampton to Sag Harbor and then across the island) - the North Fork is much more rustic and somewhat of a 'time capsule' back to yesteryear - a recommended visit for those who may find themselves touring the area -  :D

We visited 4 wineries (Pindar, Bedell, Peconic Bay, & Duck Walk w/ lunch in-between in Mattituck (almost all the way back to Riverhead where the island forks).  The wines are mainly made from Vitis vinifera, i.e. European, grapes w/ some unusual combinations that the French would never do (or not be allowed to do w/ their AOC laws); there are some non-grape fruit wines which Susan seems to enjoy. 

The wines have definitely improved in quality and a number were quite excellent - the island in the early 1970s became somewhat famous for its Merlot and the red samples made from the Bordeaux grapes were often quite good.  At Pindar, we did buy an half bottle of 'late harvest' Riesling ($35) which was just superb - drank it w/ family the next day in Montauk as an afternoon apertif - unfortunately did not buy any wines to take home (liquids on planes issue, of course).

So, to re-emphasize if you are visiting the Long Island area and want a pleasant day trip that combines some scenic beauty, New England-style architecture, and wine drinking (along w/ some wonderful shellfish!) - a STRONG recommendation -  ;D

Bogey

Being a Universal Monster fan, I could not let this one pass:

http://www.lugosiwines.com/

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on May 14, 2011, 05:46:13 AM
Being a Universal Monster fan, I could not let this one pass:

http://www.lugosiwines.com/

Bill - LOL!  ;D  The Old North State Winery has its tasting room in downtown Mt. Airy, NC (birthplace of Andy Griffith) - they offer many wines but 2 fun labels appropos to your listing are shown above, i.e. Restless Soul & Bare Bones; the red is a blend of merlot, cabernet sauvignon, and chambourcin, the latter a French-American hybrid grape that is not doing too badly in North Carolina!  Dave  :)

Bogey

Ha!  I will have to look into both!  the Bela was not cheap....50 bones (if you will), but would have kicked myself when they ran out.  I need to have a bottle of each of these.  I will look into it.  The nice thing is, I can have them shipped to my local wine store and do not need to be here  to sign.