WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

These two bottles of wine to add to the Lugosi one I received this year:

ORIN SWIFT 2009 CABERNET SAUVIGNON "PALERMO" NAPA VALLEY

and

The Prisoner 2009 Napa Valley Red Wine

I will continue to look for labels like these. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

BOY, over a month w/o any posts to the wine thread!  :o

Well, I've been drinking wine virtually daily but the problem as always w/ our world-wide community is availability of wines in all areas of the planet -  ::)

But lately I've acquired a couple of Australian Shiraz, some of the latest vintages in my local stores (pics shown below may not match the years) - I've bought many of these in more previous vintages - pricing is excellent and the wines are super dark & extracted - often delicious on release w/ a 'fruit bomb' experience on the palate, but would likely age for a number of years - worth a look if available in your area -  ;D

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 09, 2011, 03:47:54 PM
BOY, over a month w/o any posts to the wine thread!  :o

Well, I've been drinking wine virtually daily but the problem as always w/ our world-wide community is availability of wines in all areas of the planet -  ::)

But lately I've acquired a couple of Australian Shiraz, some of the latest vintages in my local stores (pics shown below may not match the years) - I've bought many of these in more previous vintages - pricing is excellent and the wines are super dark & extracted - often delicious on release w/ a 'fruit bomb' experience on the palate, but would likely age for a number of years - worth a look if available in your area -  ;D

Have had Shiraz a number of times this year....still not a fan.  A lot of merchants say it is good with BBQ.  I have started to sway to a new way of pairing wines.  That is, do not pair wines with food, but pair them wit who will be drinking it.   ;D 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on July 09, 2011, 04:57:26 PM
Have had Shiraz a number of times this year....still not a fan.  A lot of merchants say it is good with BBQ.  I have started to sway to a new way of pairing wines.  That is, do not pair wines with food, but pair them wit who will be drinking it.   ;D

Hi Bill - well, many of the Aussie Shiraz that ships to North Carolina tend to be the less expensive bulk stuff (not the limited production ones the receive great ratings in mags like the Wine Spectator) - the 2 that I pictured are kind of in the 'middle' of that price arrange (about $18 each here) - these tend to be pretty extracted and powerful - a few years of age softens them.  Like Zinfandel, the wines can be quite high in alcohol, so a little 'hot' on the finish - BUT, both varietals make such varied wines that one has to just give a lot a try - if you're a red wine drinker, then there is a Shiraz out their for you to enjoy (try the inexpensive Rosemount in a decent year - cheap & made in bulk but often an excellent value) - Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, over a month since the last post and it was mine!   :o

On driving back from our recent mountain trip, we stopped at RayLen Vineyards, just 15-20 mins from home off I-40 - ended up buying a mixed case w/ a few bottles of their current sparkling wine (made w/ the Champagne method).

Well, I'm sipping on probably the best RED wine that I've sampled from North Carolina - the 2007 Eagle's Select (shown below) - this is a Bordeaux blend w/ a lot of French oak used - not cheap for a local beverage (mid-$20) - a GREAT wine, well no - I'd probably rate it in the high 80s which for the NC reds that I've drunk over the years is a 'relative' excellent rating for me - improvement?  Surely - ended up joining their case club (costs nothing but 15% off on case purchases and the tastings at the winery are free).  Dave  :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Bogey on July 09, 2011, 04:57:26 PM
Oh - I missed this comment! I love Shiraz, but BBQ is not necessaily a good combo, especially if there isn't much sauce and it is on the mild side (depends on spiciness for me). And just grilling - well I'd go for something lighter.  Shiraz goes well, in my experience, will either a spicier/full tasting dish OR a richer meat. I like to pair it with Indian. I like it with rich/heavy sauces. With simple dishes (meaning light in taste and such), I could see it being possibly overpowering.

A pretty good one for the money, and fairly drinkable out of the bottle has been Peter Lehmann Barossa Shiraz.Looks like this (and consistent as well, so you can buy earlier years with confidence):

But if you are not a fan, I would not lose any sleep, after all, there so many other good bottles of wine to be tried!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on May 03, 2009, 09:07:00 AM
I wouldn't wait too long on those 91-es.

I probably did wait too long. In a few hours we'll know. I'm braising a leg of lamb. We're planning to drink the '91 Lafite-Rothschild with it. We're debating whether to bring up an alternate from the cellar now (giving it time to warm up) just in case the Lafite is undrinkable.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 03, 2011, 07:18:03 AM
I probably did wait too long. In a few hours we'll know. I'm braising a leg of lamb. We're planning to drink the '91 Lafite-Rothschild with it. We're debating whether to bring up an alternate from the cellar now (giving it time to warm up) just in case the Lafite is undrinkable.

Sarge
Awesome! We'll be crossing our fingers for you! Should be an outstanding wine! I hope you aren't disappointed or surprised (either by oxidation or taste)...

The new erato

If there's any 91 Medoc to have stood the ravages of time, it will be Lafite. And the nose will be great I guess, however light the style may turn out to be.

Bogey

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 03, 2011, 07:47:34 AM
Awesome! We'll be crossing our fingers for you! Should be an outstanding wine! I hope you aren't disappointed or surprised (either by oxidation or taste)...

Quote from: The new erato on December 03, 2011, 07:49:43 AM
If there's any 91 Medoc to have stood the ravages of time, it will be Lafite. And the nose will be great I guess, however light the style may turn out to be.

Thanks, guys. I've been doing some online research. A bottle is currently retailing for between 400 and a 1000 Euro  :o  That gives me some hope the wine is at least drinkable. But I did bring up another bottle as a backup: my next to last 1990 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou (a St. Julien second growth).

Sarge

Bogey

Reminds me that i should turn my bottles, Sarge.  Thanks!

The new erato

I had a 1943 (!) Borgogno Barolo last Sunday - and it was great  (though obviously absolutely mature). So hope springs eternal.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on December 03, 2011, 08:18:23 AM
I had a 1943 (!) Borgogno Barolo last Sunday - and it was great  (though obviously absolutely mature). So hope springs eternal.

I'm envious! I've never had a mature "old style" Barolo...I mean the kind of Barolo you actually couldn't drink for 20 years. Every modern Barolo I've had has been too enjoyable young. Pleasant but nothing like the tough old Barolos I've read about.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on December 03, 2011, 08:06:11 AM
Anyone else grab a bottle of this:

We haven't had Beaujolais nouveau in many, many years. If it's true they are attempting to give us a better product now, I may buy a bottle or two.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

The lamb should be done in about twenty minutes. I opened the Lafite. The nose: minerals, dust, lead pencil. The first taste: very light body and slightly medicinal; the second sip mint and green pepper detected. Still a bit tannic but soft. Short finish. So, not great but not a disaster either. Debating now whether to decant or not. Will air open it up or destroy it?

Sarge

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 03, 2011, 09:19:05 AM
The lamb should be done in about twenty minutes. I opened the Lafite. The nose: minerals, dust, lead pencil. The first taste: very light body and slightly medicinal; the second sip mint and green pepper detected. Still a bt tannic but soft. Short finish. So, not great but not a disaster either. Debating now whether to decant or not. Will air open it up or destroy it?

Sarge

Can we get a pic, Sarge?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on December 03, 2011, 09:32:22 AM
Can we get a pic, Sarge?

I didn't decant it but it did get better within 30 minutes of opening the bottle. The last half was really tasty. The wine even gained weight  ;D  It went well with the lamb.

Sarge 

Bogey

Just lucky we are not pirates of old, Sarge.....thanks for the pics!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 03, 2011, 09:19:05 AM
The lamb should be done in about twenty minutes. I opened the Lafite. The nose: minerals, dust, lead pencil. The first taste: very light body and slightly medicinal; the second sip mint and green pepper detected. Still a bit tannic but soft. Short finish. So, not great but not a disaster either. Debating now whether to decant or not. Will air open it up or destroy it?

Sarge
Sorry I did not see this earlier. Usually, it (decanting) can help an old wine. But you will want to make sure not to splash it around like you can a younger wine.

The decanting will help more for older wines as it will also allow you to get rid of much of the sediment. Some people, when they have chosen a wine, will allow it to stand upright for a while so that the sediment will collect at the bottom (while it is also reaching room temperature). If there is a lot of sediment or you cannot see it, you can use a candle or other light so see through the bottle to know where the sediment is (so you know when to stop).

But with an older wine like yours, it can be a riskier thing, mostly because the wine's taste will 'evaporate' away faster than you can drink it. Your description, however, implies it held up well, so probably would have been safe to decant. It can be a bit of an art with the older wines though, and there is disagreement even within the 'wine community' on what to do.

PS: Glad it went well in the end!!