WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 13, 2012, 04:50:59 AM
Pinot Gris is my favorite Alsatian varietal. It's been a love affair for over forty years. My first first wife studied at the university in Strasbourg and brought back her love for all things Alsatian, including the wine. (In Germany the grape is called Grauburgunder.)
Well, we are now hooked. It's good to know the German name. I will write that one down. We were headed to Geneva to visit with friends after our Alsace sojourn, and I picked up a couple of bottles as a present for them. In the store (in Colmar), they offered us a few to try before we bought. It was a real learning experience (and good fun)! More places should offer tastings like that (though maybe it is common in that area - I don't know).

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 13, 2012, 04:50:59 AM
Excellent  8)  Have you found any trocken (dry) Rieslings in your area? When I visit Ohio (the Akron area), they are impossible to find. A few halbtrocken but probably 90% are sweet. Although Mosels (like Loosen) needn't be dry. Some would even say they shouldn't be--that they become unbalanced.

It's a pity the world remains essentially ignorant about the quality of German dry Riesling. On the other hand, if the world ever discovers it, prices would skyrocket. Maybe it's better (for me) that it remains a closely guarded secret  ;D

Sarge
The ones where I am are mostly sweeter (which we like), such as Joh. Jos. Prum or Loosen. I'm happy to get the simple Dr. L, which is a solid wine for a good price. But probably I just need to widen my search to other stores, though they are usually more costly.

I think that Chardonnay has had such a marketing job done for it - it will take a long time to overcome it. But I do what I can - I vote with my checkbook! :)  I think one problem for some German labels is that foreigners don't always know how to read it. I know it isn't that hard and there is a logical method behind it, but some are intimidated. And some of the words can get quite long too (imagine seeing 'Trockenbeerenauslese' for the first time on a label in a cursive font). Of course the associations with some cheap, sweet wines from years ago is still out there, but I actually think that is behind us for the most part.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 13, 2012, 05:37:17 AM
I think one problem for some German labels is that foreigners don't always know how to read it. I know it isn't that hard and there is a logical method behind it, but some are intimidated. And some of the words can get quite long too (imagine seeing 'Trockenbeerenauslese' for the first time on a label in a cursive font).

Hence a winery like Tesch simplifying his label, reducing it to vineyard and varietal; simplifying his offerings (all dry). Of course I prefer the old style: more choice and the label told you exactly what was in the bottle: vintage, region, village, vineyard, level of ripeness at harvest, amount of residual sugar (dry, medium-dry, sweet, really sweet, diabetic-coma-inducing sweet  ;D )

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Hi Sarge & Neal - must 'chime in' on the white grapes from Alsace & Germany.  I use to be mainly a Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc enthusiast for my white wines; still buy the latter, especially from New Zealand (just love the biting appley acidity of those wines), but I've migrated in recent years AWAY from Chardonnay.

Pinot Gris has also become one of my favorite whites - in North Carolina, the ones from Alsace & Germany are just in short supply (and samplings are not a possibility despite the confusion w/ labels for many unaccustomed to buying wines from these areas) - but I now routinely pick up an Alsatian Pinot Gris or Riesling.  One of my favorite American Pinot Gris is from King Estate in Oregon, which makes some excellent ones - the King Estate invariably receives ratings in the high 80s into the low 90s and is fairly priced.  Pinot Gris/Grigio is also a popular grape in the emerging wine industry in my state; Raffaldini is a NC winery about an hour from my home that concentrates on Italian & Mediterranean grapes - their Pinot Grigio seems to improve each year.  So an excellent option to Chardonnay (popular saying here is 'ABC', i.e. 'Anything BUT Chardonnay' or '...Cabernet' - :))

Riesling is also a favorite white for me but one that again is not readily available and usually of the sweeter types if imported from Germany - I prefer the dry ones and invariably just the sweeter less expensive producers seem to ship to my locale, unfortunately.  But I will pick up an occasional Alsatian or German Riesling and enjoy their often steely mineral flavors; just a much different experience from the ones I buy from the USA (mainly Washington State for me; Ch. Ste. Michelle is making some excellent Riesling in a variety of styles - their Dr. Loosen Eroica is superb!).

The Australians make some great Riesling but much of the best seems to stay in that country - I've had just a handful, but over the years of reading about wines and watching plenty of videos on wine, often the so-called 'wine gurus' (the likes of Hugh Johnson & Jancis Robinson) when asked about their TOP white grape will often pick the Riesling - thus, a misunderstood grape and one that just does not receive the respect it certainly deserves - may go out today and pick me up some Rieslings!   ;D   Dave

Bogey

How did this thread drop to page 7.... ;D

My friend just presented me with this beauty for my birthday.  Good until 2023:

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1150052

I have another Caymus bottle from him, a 2007.  Saving that as well.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Hey Bill - you have some special wines there! Probably in the 1980s I visited Caymus in Napa Vly and the 'tasting hosts' were none other that Charlie Wagner & his young son then, Chuck - I always had some Caymus Cabernet aging in my cellar, but then the prices started to escalate so not an option for me anymore.

Always nice to have a half case of those special wines, then one can taste periodically so that the wine does not plateau and then go 'downhill' - read those tasting notes closely; I tended to drink my better CA cabs before their 10th year; yes some will last longer but you might exchange a 'loss of fruit' for a bottle bouquet that will please (or possibly not?) - since you have just a single bottle from each of those years, my feeling would likely be to consume them earlier than later but really up to you!  Dave :)

Bogey

'ning Dave.  Yup, no generous friend, no Caymus in my basement. ;D  I just had some tacos and this I paired:

I do not seek out South African wines, but this one is yummy, GREAT finish (which is my most critical point to liking a wine) and only set you back about 20 bones.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

The new erato

I've always liked the wordplay on Cotes du Rhone in that series of wines.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Bogey on March 27, 2012, 03:29:12 PM
How did this thread drop to page 7.... ;D

Too busy drinking the wine to write about it I guess! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Bogey

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

A NEW wine experience for me! :)

Susan & I just returned from a short trip to Chincoteage Island, upper eastern shore of VA (home of the wild horses and the yearly July swim from Assateague Island) - also oyster, clam, & blue crab heaven, basically our subsistence food (along w/ some fish) for 3 days!  :D

Well after crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnels (about 20 miles) onto the eastern shore we stopped for lunch in Cape Charles at the Aqua Restaurant - beautiful views of the bay (see pics below of Susan gazing across the bay and the far shoreline where our clams were harvested!) - basically shared a salad & a dozen each of oysters & clams on the half shell!

I had a glass of an excellent wine that was just right w/ the shellfish and made up the road:

Church Creek Chardonnay fermented and kept in just stainless steel, so no oak - fresh & fruity w/ a nice acidity - made at Chatman Vineyards - we visited the winery and I brought home 4 bottles (2 whites & 2 reds) - just 3 wineries on the eastern VA shore but likely to increase - reminded me of the tip of Long Island & the North Folk, a much longer established wine region, and one that we've been visiting since the 1980s!

fridden

Me and my friend are part of a circle of friends who meets 4 times a year and take turns in arranging these tastings.
Last sunday it was our turn to arrange the tasting.
Lucky for me my friend has a huge cellar so all the wines this time came from his!  :P

From left to right:
1985 Bollinger RD
2003 Hermitage Blanc, Domaine Etienne Guigal
1997 Clos Windsbuhl Pinot Gris Zind Humbrecht
1996 Brand Riesling Zind Humbrecht

1997 Brunello di Montalcino, Fattoria Poggio Antico
1994 Ornellaia, Tenuta dell'Ornellaia, Bolgheri
1988 Amarone della Valpolicella
1982 Barolo Valletta, Marchesi di Barolo

2002 Keyneton Estate Euphonium, Henscke Wines
1998 McCrae Wood, Jim Barry Wines
1996 Armagh Jim Barry
1988 Command Shiraz, Elderton Wines

We welcomed the guests with some champagne, and then had a tasting diveded in 3 flights

Among the whites the Zind-Humbrecht are never a disappointment, and not this time either. Clos Windsbuhl Pinot Gris 1997 was among the best of the evening and I did enjoy the white hermitage a lot as well.

The italians began to show their ages in some cases but still very interesting and with lot of flavours. I particularly enjoyed the Amarone, and Ornellaia.

Finally, the aussie. The Command Shiraz from Elderton were the winner, but the Henschke and Jim Barry wines tasted gooood!  :P

Overall it was a great tasting!   ;D

/fridden

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: fridden on May 19, 2012, 10:21:13 AM
From left to right:
1985 Bollinger RD
2003 Hermitage Blanc, Domaine Etienne Guigal
1997 Clos Windsbuhl Pinot Gris Zind Humbrecht
1996 Brand Riesling Zind Humbrecht

1997 Brunello di Montalcino, Fattoria Poggio Antico
1994 Ornellaia, Tenuta dell'Ornellaia, Bolgheri
1988 Amarone della Valpolicella
1982 Barolo Valletta, Marchesi di Barolo

2002 Keyneton Estate Euphonium, Henscke Wines
1998 McCrae Wood, Jim Barry Wines
1996 Armagh Jim Barry
1988 Command Shiraz, Elderton Wines

Wow, that was some tasting. Zind Humbrecht! Ornellaia! Guigal! Guigal is one of my favorite Rhone estates (even his inexpensive Côtes du Rhône is special). And it all began with Bolly, my favorite Champagne! Wish I'd been there.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Purchased wine yesterday; six bottles each: a cabernet franc from the Loire; a cabernet franc rosé from the same producer; The Ned, a New Zealand pinot noir; and dry Rheingau Riesling from the great Weingut Künstler based in the home of hoch, Hochheim  8)

Left click to enlarge.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock made a great braised leg of lamb for dinner, and I raided the wine cellar and brought up one of my dwindling bottles of cru classé Bordeaux, a third-growth Margaux, Chateau Palmer 1989, rated 95 by Parker in the third edition of his Bordeaux guide.

Left click to enlarge.

Sarge

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 24, 2012, 11:35:41 AM
Mrs. Rock made a great braised leg of lamb for dinner, and I raided the wine cellar and brought up one of my dwindling bottles of cru classé Bordeaux, a third-growth Margaux, Chateau Palmer 1989, rated 95 by Parker in the third edition of his Bordeaux guide.

Left click to enlarge.

Sarge
Palmer 89 is flat out wonderful whatever points the Monkton lawyer assigns, and I was lucky enough to have the 90 a couple of months ago courtesy of a friend - marvellous too. On a related note I also had the Z-H Brand 89 the same evening, a real stunner. But the wine of that particular night still was the Jaboulet Hermitage Chapelle 89; the kind of stuff vinous dreams are made of.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on June 24, 2012, 12:22:46 PMBut the wine of that particular night still was the Jaboulet Hermitage Chapelle 89; the kind of stuff vinous dreams are made of.

I can only imagine. I've not had Jaboulet's Hermitage (I have had Guigal's). But I did have an interesting dinner, once, that featured one of his wines. Must have been in the fall of 2004. I was visited my hometown in Ohio. My oldest friend and his wife cooked dinner (grilled filet mignon). I brought two bottles of wine: both were 1999 Châteauneuf-du-Papes. One Jaboulet, one Guigal (the wine that was Wine Spectator's Wine of the Year in 2002). The Guigal was more friendly, more immediately appealing. The Jaboulet seemed built to last and I prefered it with dinner.

Sarge

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 24, 2012, 08:25:56 AM
Purchased wine yesterday; six bottles each: a cabernet franc from the Loire; a cabernet franc rosé from the same producer; The Ned, a New Zealand pinot noir; and dry Rheingau Riesling from the great Weingut Künstler based in the home of hoch, Hochheim  8)

Left click to enlarge.

Sarge

Reds from the Loire Valley are among my recent discoveries. Saumur-Champigny, Anjou Villages: wonderfully fresh and balanced. Like a countryside sunrise with dew still covering the verdant fields.

SonicMan46

WELL, how much would you pay for wine in a restaurant?  :o

Susan & I just returned from a 3-night trip to the southern Virginia mountains (just 90 min drive from home) - a first stay at a 12,000 acre resort called Primland - pic of the Lodge below where we resided (cabins & home rentals also available); a gorgeous 18-hole mountain golf course and a fabulous restaurant (will post in the eating thread).

This place seems to attract a rather wealthy clientele (does not include us!) - the first night in the 'fancy' restaurant, I noticed a bottle of Dom Perignon ordered by an adjacent table (could not see the vintage); then, another bottle of a red wine which looked like Ch. Petrus to me - told Susan that the Petrus was likely @ least $1K - well, an hour or so after dinner we saw the waiter who had served the wines mentioned (and also us), so I casually asked him if that red wine was Ch. Petrus, he said yes - year?  2004 (well not ready) - how much? $1600 - WOW!  How about the Dom Perignon?  $600!  Thus, a $2200 wine bill for the night - my 2 glasses of Pinot Noir & Susan's single coctail, about $30 total - OH, nice to be really RICH, I guess?  Dave :)

The new erato

The Dom Perignon sounded expensive as new releases ought to be below 200 USD from retaliers. OTOH the Petrus seemed cheap (though from a less than stellar vintage) as new releases are closer to 1000 USD ex cellars..... :-).

Conspicuous consumption indeed. Or as we call it; having such a large income that there is a problem making the costs sufficient.