WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Re conspicuous consumption - had a wonderful dinner tonight with the usual assortment of winous friends. Wonderful wines were everywhere, after an easys start woth a couple of 96 champagnes, Molitor Rieslign01 and Loosen 02, as well as a Brand 07 (Alsace); the heayhitters struck:

Dauvissat Chablis Preuses 2000
Chablisienne Chablis Les Clos 1988 from magnum
Trimbach Gewurstraminer Vendange Tardive 1976 (flat out outstanding)
Huet Cuvee Constance 1989
Huet Clos des Bourg Moulleux 1959

and the reds:

Chateau Margaux 1981
Chateau Mouton Rotschild 1979
Chateau Meyney 1975
Chateau L'Arroze 1986
Cote-Rotie 1998, Jamet
Volnay Tailepieds 1995, d'Angerville

and food to match from one of my most food savvy friends.

Sergeant Rock

Weingut Pfeffingen released their 2011 Grosses Gewächs (grand cru) this month. We picked up our pre-order yesterday: the Herrenberg Riesling GG and Herrenberg Weissburgunder GG along with the Scheurebe "SP" trocken and the regular Scheurebe trocken. Six bottles each.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

More German Riesling purchases from the new vintage and VDP vintners. From the Nahe, Dr. Crusius Riesling Rhyolith trocken (dry) (€10.55). From the Rheingau, Künstler Rüdesheimer Bischofsberg trocken Alte Reben (old vines) (€19.90). Six bottles each.

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 20, 2012, 04:38:11 AM
More German Riesling purchases from the new vintage and VDP vintners. From the Nahe, Dr. Crusius Riesling Rhyolith trocken (dry) (€10.55). From the Rheingau, Künstler Rüdesheimer Bischofsberg trocken Alte Reben (old vines) (€19.90). Six bottles each.

Sarge
I love it when you post these - we love the German Rieslings! On the other hand, I want to try it too! And I can't (very little selection where I am currently). Boo hoo.

Drink one for me! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Sarge - I'm in the same situation as Neal, i.e. love Riesling but just not much availability in Piedmont North Carolina, but I do try a few from Germany & Alsace on occasion.

But for those in North America, I've been buying more Washington State Merlot - just find better value and softer wines (vs. the California offerings); a good example is the one shown below sourced from a large AVA called Horse Heaven Hills or H3 as shown on the label; Columbia Crest has a lot of different grape offerings and Ch. Ste. Michelle also (love the latter's H3 Sauvignon Blanc) - just picked up 3 bottles of the Merlot @ Costco for $12 a bottle (an 89 rating in a recent issue of the Wine Spectator).  Dave

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 20, 2012, 10:17:55 AMColumbia Crest has a lot of different grape offerings

We've come to trust Columbia Crest (sporadically available in Germany). Always a decent drink, no matter what the varietal. We're currently enjoying a case of 2007 Syrah.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 20, 2012, 05:10:05 AM
I love it when you post these - we love the German Rieslings! On the other hand, I want to try it too! And I can't (very little selection where I am currently). Boo hoo.

Drink one for me! :)

I'll drink several for you!...and Mrs. Rock will volunteer a bottle or two also  ;D ;)

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 21, 2012, 06:59:45 AM
I'll drink several for you!...and Mrs. Rock will volunteer a bottle or two also  ;D ;)

Sarge
That's the spirit!  :)

Sergeant Rock

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

LAst night, we had a wonderful Chianti - Fontodi Chianti Classico 2009 Riserva. We all agreed it was excellent - soft smooth, with a gentle aftertaste. It was not cheap at $29.99, but it is a wonderful wine as a gift (which it was). I would seek this out again for sure.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 14, 2012, 10:42:27 AM
LAst night, we had a wonderful Chianti - Fontodi Chianti Classico 2009 Riserva. We all agreed it was excellent - soft smooth, with a gentle aftertaste. It was not cheap at $29.99, but it is a wonderful wine as a gift (which it was). I would seek this out again for sure.

Sounds good. We drink a lot of Chianti. There are eleven Italian restaurants within five miles....three within a mile. We always order a bottle of wine, usually Chianti. One restaurant got wise and imported some expensive stuff to tempt us. It worked  :D

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

This evening we picked up a case of Chianti we ordered last week from our local wine merchant. Noticed he had the 2011 Würzburger Stein Sylvaner Kabinett trocken in stock and bought a case. Würzburg, the Juliusspital wine estate, and this vineyard (the Stein) are famous for their wine made from the Sylvaner grape. €16.50 a bottle. Screw caps are ideal for storing the oddly shaped bottle (Bocksbeurtel). No need to lay them down now (which was always a hassle with these fat, round containers) to keep a cork wet  8)

The vineyard:

The wine:

Sarge

The new erato

Beautiful wines these Sylvaners. I spent a night in Würzburg a few years ago.

SonicMan46

We just returned from a trip to Montauk near the tip of the South Fork of Long Island, NY; as we did nearly a year & a half ago, we visited about a half dozen wineries on the North Fork, where nearly all but 3 are located (see map below) - from Montauk, the trip includes going first to Sag Harbor, then taking 2 ferries across Shelter Island to Greenport; then you're ready to explore the wineries!

Map below shows the geography of the eastern portion of Long Island, which forks like a serpent's tongue; the famous Hamptons (and other villages) are located on the South Fork.  Our last stop was @ Castello di Borghese where the LI wine industry pretty much began (under a different name & ownership) - my first visit and I MUST say the best wines tasted on this adventure; in fact, I ordered a half case (3 bottles each) of their Pinot Noir Reserve & Merlot Reserve; after probably a half dozen visits to this area over several decades, these were the BEST red wines that I have tasted from the island.

For those in the vicinity & who enjoy wine, a visit is highly recommended - if coming from NYC, just head to Riverhead and then the North Fork; if in the Hamptoms, then the Sag Harbor/ferry option is a delight - Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 25, 2012, 07:17:11 AM
We just returned from a trip to Montauk near the tip of the South Fork of Long Island, NY; as we did nearly a year & a half ago, we visited about a half dozen wineries on the North Fork, where nearly all but 3 are located (see map below) - from Montauk, the trip includes going first to Sag Harbor, then taking 2 ferries across Shelter Island to Greenport; then you're ready to explore the wineries!

Map below shows the geography of the eastern portion of Long Island, which forks like a serpent's tongue; the famous Hamptons (and other villages) are located on the South Fork.  Our last stop was @ Castello di Borghese where the LI wine industry pretty much began (under a different name & ownership) - my first visit and I MUST say the best wines tasted on this adventure; in fact, I ordered a half case (3 bottles each) of their Pinot Noir Reserve & Merlot Reserve; after probably a half dozen visits to this area over several decades, these were the BEST red wines that I have tasted from the island.

For those in the vicinity & who enjoy wine, a visit is highly recommended - if coming from NYC, just head to Riverhead and then the North Fork; if in the Hamptoms, then the Sag Harbor/ferry option is a delight - Dave :)

I know this area well. We've never been particularly overwhelmed with the wineries on Long Island (don't get me wrong, it is a lot of fun, they want to be better known and try really hard, some of the views are exceptional, etc.), but they are still on the young side and should start to hit maturity soon (which means vines should start aging nicely too). But as an activity mixed in with the general views and such, it is tremendous fun. And I cannot tell you how many time the crowds have been nearly non-existent and the proprietors willing to show you practically everything (and try lots too). On the other hand, tasting wines (and a region) that is still developing is an exciting adventure as well. I cannot but agree how much fun it is. Glad you enjoyed it!!

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 25, 2012, 07:42:52 AM
I know this area well. We've never been particularly overwhelmed with the wineries on Long Island (don't get me wrong, it is a lot of fun, they want to be better known and try really hard, some of the views are exceptional, etc.), but they are still on the young side and should start to hit maturity soon (which means vines should start aging nicely too). But as an activity mixed in with the general views and such, it is tremendous fun. And I cannot tell you how many time the crowds have been nearly non-existent and the proprietors willing to show you practically everything (and try lots too). On the other hand, tasting wines (and a region) that is still developing is an exciting adventure as well. I cannot but agree how much fun it is. Glad you enjoyed it!!

Hi Neal - well, as mentioned, I've probably made a half dozen visits over several decades to the North Fork; the wines have expanded in their offerings and certainly have improved (40 yrs is a good time period to narrow down the options & the grapes/techniques needed).  But, the wines are still quite variable in quality w/ a number being rather mediocre.  However, there were a handful of good to excellent ones, and the two reds that I purchased were certainly in that category (or I least I hope so w/ the price paid + S/H to North Carolina!).

North Carolina is in the same state of flux - 100 or so wineries now, one of the top 10 states in the nation for wine production, and now 3 AVAs (Yadkin River Vly near me being the first and the one most populated w/ wineries).  As to quality, the variability is striking w/ many poor to mediocre wines that I've tasted over the years - occasionally several will stand out & surprise.  The whites seem to be doing the best here, but there are many years ahead for further experimentation & improvements; and I suspect this is true in many states outside the Pacific coastal area w/ emerging wine industries.  Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 25, 2012, 11:35:34 AM
Hi Neal - well, as mentioned, I've probably made a half dozen visits over several decades to the North Fork; the wines have expanded in their offerings and certainly have improved (40 yrs is a good time period to narrow down the options & the grapes/techniques needed).  But, the wines are still quite variable in quality w/ a number being rather mediocre.  However, there were a handful of good to excellent ones, and the two reds that I purchased were certainly in that category (or I least I hope so w/ the price paid + S/H to North Carolina!).

North Carolina is in the same state of flux - 100 or so wineries now, one of the top 10 states in the nation for wine production, and now 3 AVAs (Yadkin River Vly near me being the first and the one most populated w/ wineries).  As to quality, the variability is striking w/ many poor to mediocre wines that I've tasted over the years - occasionally several will stand out & surprise.  The whites seem to be doing the best here, but there are many years ahead for further experimentation & improvements; and I suspect this is true in many states outside the Pacific coastal area w/ emerging wine industries.  Dave :)
You've said what I wanted to say better than I did! I agree there are some good wines, it's the variable quality thing that frustrates. I have heard very positive things about NC wines, though I have only ever tasted them in classes. I think most non Califonia and Northwest wines are simply unfamiliar to most people, partly due to name recognition and partly due to availability. It's a shame really, although it can be hoped that as the wines improve, so will their popularity.

The new erato

Another night with a circle of friends:

Ch Mouton-Rotschild 81
Ch Mouton-Rotschild 83
Ch Pichon-Longueville deLalande 81
Ch Palmer 88
Ch Leoville-Barton 2001
N Potel Clos de la Roche 99
G Barthod Chambolle-Musigney Les Cras 95 (rough and tannic on its own, but wonderful with boeuf bourgignon)
Koehler-Ruprecht Kallstadter Saumagen Auslese trocken R 2001
Trimbach Riesling Friedrich Emile 98
Bruno Sorg Muscat 2010 (wonderful with cheeses)
Dauvissat Chablis Foret 2002
Anne Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet Les Clavoillons 2005 (incredibly fine)

and a few more ..... :)

Bogey

One of the bottles that will be opened tonight:

More here:

http://www.ciaccipiccolomini.com/

One of the cheeses that will be offered on top of Welsh and Cabot cheddar:

This unforced aged gouda is incredible.  Has those little amino acid crystals that crunch a bit.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz